Run-Off Area Alternatives

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Re: Run-Off Area Alternatives

I think if we're talking about this from a realistic point of view - i.e. what might the FIA actually use - we can discount gravel traps; they are my preferred option as they really do punish the driver for a mistake, but they've made their preference clear and there's no way they're going to u-turn.

Grass, or astroturf, is good but as has been mentioned, could be dangerous in the wet.

I love the idea of this Paul Ricard "zonal" penalisations area. I think it fits very well with the FIA's slightly gimmicky current trend with regard to regulations - DRS, KERS etc. are all a bit video gamey - and like these things, would be with a view to actually improve the racing. One big change I've noticed in F1 racing over the past, let's say, 15 years is that you see race-altering mistakes from the drivers far less frequently now. Is it because the drivers are better? I would say no. More likely it is a combination between not being penalised for running wide (or barely penalised) and the fact that they are no longer able to push the limits of the track in race conditions anyway (due to the tyres).

I suppose, however, you could also argue that being too heavily punished for running wide could also discourage drivers from taking risks and lead to a more processional kind of racing. Very fine balancing act (which would also benefit from cars being pushed throughout the race > reintroduce refuelling > completely different debate... :lol: )

Nando
Nando

All of it costs incredible amounts of money. It´s not the track that is the problem, it´s the lack of respect for the track.
It´s not exactly F1 that pays for the track-changes either.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

They should stage races on the banks of rivers in the north of the Northern Territory, the 6m Salties should provide some deterrent to running wide.

FW17

tarmac runoff has been installed and it is quiet excessive but surely done with some calculation. As rightly said it does not punish drivers who make mistakes.

How ever i am still trying to figure out why they are provided on exit of hairpin bends as in hockenheim

Why not do what canada has

N12ck

A suggestion would be if you run on the run off area and set a fast sector time you get a drive through
Budding F1 Engineer

roadie

Yeah, I'm fine with tarmac on corner entry, but I believe there should be grass on corner exit.

FW17

roadie wrote:Yeah, I'm fine with tarmac on corner entry, but I believe there should be grass on corner exit.
Run wide pay the price

Slife
Slife

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Suzuka only have a run off area between 130r and the chicane ? Obviously Suzuka is FIA approved for F1, so couldn't other tracks just get away with using sand pits ?

PhillipM
PhillipM

It is quite possible and relatively cheap to polish tarmac (with a suitable top coat), which massively reduces available grip - you can quite easily halve the friction co-effiecent compared to the racetrack.

So that, or even just some low-friction paint, for the first 2 metres of runoff area would solve the problem.

N12ck

PhillipM wrote:It is quite possible and relatively cheap to polish tarmac (with a suitable top coat), which massively reduces available grip - you can quite easily halve the friction co-effiecent compared to the racetrack.

So that, or even just some low-friction paint, for the first 2 metres of runoff area would solve the problem.
what about in the event of a crash where you want a driver to regain grip to avoid a crash, or where you want to slow the driver down
Budding F1 Engineer

Websta

perhaps the drivers could have flashbacks as well, but only 4 per race

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

N12ck wrote:
PhillipM wrote:It is quite possible and relatively cheap to polish tarmac (with a suitable top coat), which massively reduces available grip - you can quite easily halve the friction co-effiecent compared to the racetrack.

what about in the event of a crash where you want a driver to regain grip to avoid a crash, or where you want to slow the driver down
Pretty certain polished tarmac still has more grip than grass.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I like VIR. Just big open areas of grass. Can't use it as an advantage, and if you go off you don't annihilate your car by hitting something.

Personally I'm not a fan of the high grip / wear option. Particularly the way things are now, your tires are going off pretty quickly anyway... not really that much extra harm hooking some extra high grip surface coming off a corner for a big boost to lap time. Probably worth it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

strad

The kerbs should make it so one doesn't use the runoff area. The idea is to race ON the track...you know between the white lines.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss