Run-Off Area Alternatives

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cam

Re: Run-Off Area Alternatives

You mean like walls all around the edge of the circuit?

Run off areas are needed for safety and they're a good thing, but they need to be in such a way that the driver is punished to some degree for using it. Think of of it like - "okay, you ran wide off the track and you just smashed your car, instead of 1000 pieces and a big cost, have a 15 second slow down and maybe some scrubbing to your tyres, so you'll think about it twice next time".
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

myurr
myurr

Cam wrote:You mean like walls all around the edge of the circuit?

Run off areas are needed for safety and they're a good thing, but they need to be in such a way that the driver is punished to some degree for using it. Think of of it like - "okay, you ran wide off the track and you just smashed your car, instead of 1000 pieces and a big cost, have a 15 second slow down and maybe some scrubbing to your tyres, so you'll think about it twice next time".
Would it not be possible to coat it in two alternating surfaces, one that offered little to no grip and the other being really grippy and abrasive. If it would be possible to balance the two so that one unsettles the car and makes it very difficult to control, but the other provides a lot of stopping power and grip that slows the car down massively albeit whilst damaging the surface of the tyre, then there would be a big cost to running wide whilst providing a high grip surface to slow cars down when they're in trouble. The slippery surface would also need to be the first band that is hit on the outside of a corner to stop drivers deliberately running wide to get to the high grip surface, even if it was just during qualifying.

Cam

I remember when Webber tossed the WDC away on a wet track with a rear tyre on a slippery white line - one small indiscretion cost dearly. Lesson: don't run wide. Maybe something that is just as super slippery for the tyre width off-line, touch that in the dry and you're going to have a bad day. Everyone love wet races, so bring the wet to the dry.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

piast9
piast9

I've been thinking of yet another solution. I am not sure if it would be safe, it's only the idea. What do you think about kerbs that from the side of the track are made like today, but on the outside of the kerb there's, I don't know, let's say 10 cm drop until the asphalt runoff begins. The drop should be high enough to make it impossible or at least very risky to ride over them. And if driver goes outside then he has to jump all four wheels beyond the kerbs to the runoff area where he has go through a chicane or something else slowing him down until he joins the track.

There's risk of losing control but I think that if runoff was made of high-grip, abrasive material then if the control was lost the car would not tend to go back to the track and it would be possible to stop or slow the car enough before the barrier. Another problem would be wet races which would cause that there would be a pond beyond the kerb unless some clever draining was used but maybe that idea may be developed in something reasonable and stop drivers using the runoff like a part of a track.

FW17

With the standard ECU and accurate GPS systems on board the FIA can simply set the engines to go into pitlane mode for about 10 seconds if all 4 wheels of the car goes into the runoff area.

raymondu999

10 seconds IMO is a bit too much. Maybe less

I'm not sure. Given the speed of the cars, time required to actually get a GPS fix (remember that GPS signals need to take time to go between the satellite to the receiver) Then the pitlane limiter could be engaged at wrong times. And what if another car had its nose right under the gearbox of that car? They'd have a nose-to-tail crash.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

raymondu999 wrote:10 seconds IMO is a bit too much. Maybe less

I'm not sure. Given the speed of the cars, time required to actually get a GPS fix (remember that GPS signals need to take time to go between the satellite to the receiver) Then the pitlane limiter could be engaged at wrong times. And what if another car had its nose right under the gearbox of that car? They'd have a nose-to-tail crash.

The idea is to have the car on the run off not to re enter the track at racing speeds. ideally the penalty it should be set for when the car is in the run off area.

raymondu999

Why not just put in an old-style Monaco kerb? The ones that are something like 20cm tall and are like big painted speedbumps? They've basically used that in Turn 8 Barcelona and Turn 4 Melbourne, as well as Turn 4 Nurburgring
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Blue fellow
Blue fellow

I think the driver should have full control of his car at all times. Particularly at a lot of these first turn incidents we had this year where sometimes it was necessary to drive off track.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Massive front wing breaking sausage curbs seem to be the best alternative to the run off areas. However they should be used in conjunction with one another, the curbs should run more or less the whole way before the driver can drive back on track where he has by that time lost his place or has to drive over a smaller curb at a reduced pace otherwise he will break his front wing or suspension.

Either way this is going to be the best compromise i think.

However this should not be used in "Launch" zones where a car could be launched over them, but i suppose you could use smaller, longer radius curbs in these areas, or tell the drivers they must rejoin the track in a specified "rejoin" area, which ruins their race. Points should be awarded for staying on the track, not having 3.5 wheels off it to straight line the corner even more. Corners that need changing:

Monza: Ascari exit
Korea: Too many
Silverstone: New Abbey
Hockenheim: Turn 5 (Hairpin at end of back straight/bend)

One place that has it more or less perfect is Suzuka. Look at the Degners there, a wheel onto the red and white concrete is okay, just. However a wheel onto the astroturf there and youll be sucked onto the gravel, or you may just live for another lap if you dont run out of talent.

Carmack

I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread, I think the best solution is the run-off area that literally eats away the tires, I belive that's the case at the Paul Ricard circuit.

raymondu999

Carmack wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread, I think the best solution is the run-off area that literally eats away the tires, I belive that's the case at the Paul Ricard circuit.
Yep, posted it at the start of the thread
raymondu999 wrote:I've talked with someone who those of you who've been here a while should remember.

Here's what he had to say:
anonymous old friend wrote:There is a solution, Tif, and you must have seen it, because you have read my very short and concise posts (oh, the good times you must have spent on them!) on circuits:

Paul Ricard abrasive stripes

As everybody, including young Adam, knows, the blue abrasive stripes damage your tyres forcing you to pit, the red ones disable the tyres and put you out of the race. Both types allow you to brake and recover if heading for the barriers. I have no idea what the white ones are for.

I wouldn't call FIA accomplices, I would call them cheap. Besides, if you ask me, the track looks cool. 8)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

raymondu999 wrote:Why not just put in an old-style Monaco kerb? The ones that are something like 20cm tall and are like big painted speedbumps? They've basically used that in Turn 8 Barcelona and Turn 4 Melbourne, as well as Turn 4 Nurburgring
ImageImage
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

strad wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Why not just put in an old-style Monaco kerb? The ones that are something like 20cm tall and are like big painted speedbumps? They've basically used that in Turn 8 Barcelona and Turn 4 Melbourne, as well as Turn 4 Nurburgring
ImageImage
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
No honestly. I don't quite get it. I'm talking about something like this:

My first thought was if a driver squeezed another driver then they would launch over the kerb, but if you made it steep enough, I don't think so.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

No honestly. I don't quite get it. I'm talking about something like this:
No,,Honestly..It works for me.
I understand...Many don't want walls or anything that will hurt them or pose any real risk,,,So..It works for me.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss