2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jackles-UK

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Owen.C93 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Does anyone know why Hamilton took the time to recover a part of the front wing, and carry it all the way back to the pits? Maybe this is the part that is flexing?
It was in the middle of the pitlane so he picked it up so the marshalls didn't have to. (They may have missed it).
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12bel2506.jpg
He may moan, he may throw his toys out of the pram, he may publish highly sensitive team information to millions of people on social networking sites but at least he's keeping the place tidy!!

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

Kiril Varbanov wrote:How La Source looked like from Kamui's point of view.
Wow. Makes it that much more of a shame that Koby couldn't score any points, considering he managed to get the car race-able through all that... :(

Ray

Cam wrote:
radosav wrote:
Cam wrote:Alonso can roll his eyes all he wants. It must be a nice view in that tower. We all start somewhere.
you are F1 driver ? did you ever taken 5 cars out at the first corner? have you ever been taken out at the first corner?
Take a deep breath. Relax. I'm trying to see this from an independent point of view. I can show you many starts that have ended in carnage if you like. Yes, RG has had his share this year but noone here is perfect and it was not deliberate. He can drive and has proven so. Alonso had a chance to be a leader and acknolowedge he has done something similar, he chose to cast him away. It's not a good look for the kids who see these guys as heroes. A little less 'I'm so perfect' and a little more humility and understanding would be good.

The trolls on here could try that too.
Strangely, I can't think of a single time in his career that Alonso has made a dumbass mistake and taken out 4 cars like that. At any point in the race. Grosjean is nothing like Alonso, Alonso is superior to him in every respect and you calling him out is hilarious. Grosjean may start his career there, but Alonso certainly didn't.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ray wrote:
Cam wrote:
radosav wrote:you are F1 driver ? did you ever taken 5 cars out at the first corner? have you ever been taken out at the first corner?
Take a deep breath. Relax. I'm trying to see this from an independent point of view. I can show you many starts that have ended in carnage if you like. Yes, RG has had his share this year but noone here is perfect and it was not deliberate. He can drive and has proven so. Alonso had a chance to be a leader and acknolowedge he has done something similar, he chose to cast him away. It's not a good look for the kids who see these guys as heroes. A little less 'I'm so perfect' and a little more humility and understanding would be good.

The trolls on here could try that too.
Strangely, I can't think of a single time in his career that Alonso has made a dumbass mistake and taken out 4 cars like that.
Okay, not the exact same result, but this was pretty spectacularly high on the dumbass scale...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9Zi6Wo9nI[/youtube]

Ray

beelsebob wrote: Okay, not the exact same result, but this was pretty spectacularly high on the dumbass scale...
Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. When you can come up with an example that is relevant to Alonso being a dumbass like Grosjean and taking other people out like he did I'll be more than happy to watch.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ray wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Okay, not the exact same result, but this was pretty spectacularly high on the dumbass scale...
Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. When you can come up with an example that is relevant to Alonso being a dumbass like Grosjean and taking other people out like he did I'll be more than happy to watch.
I'm not sure how taking other people out or not determines just what level of dumbassedness is involved.

Ray

beelsebob wrote:
Ray wrote:
I'm not sure how taking other people out or not determines just what level of dumbassedness is involved.
You should learn to read better then. Cam was saying that Alonso can roll his eyes about Grosjean all he wants, "everybody starts somewhere." Alonso didn't start his career by ramming other people consistently on the first lap. To compare the two is utter stupidity. Grosjean needs to take his dumbass back to GP2 and learn how to not crash into other people on the start. Who were the people that said Kimi was going to be threatened by him again? The only threat he poses is crashing into Kimi and taking him out. :lol:

Pup
Pup

And why didn't Alonso need to take his dumbass out of F1 back then? I argued at the time that he should have been banned from the sport for life, and I still believe that's what should have been done even though I think he's developed in to one of if not the best driver in the field.

In other words, I would sacrifice being able to see all of the great racing he's done if it meant that new drivers coming into the sport knew that they had to live up to a certain standard from day one.
Last edited by Pup on 03 Sep 2012, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ray wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Ray wrote:Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. When you can come up with an example that is relevant to Alonso being a dumbass like Grosjean and taking other people out like he did I'll be more than happy to watch.
You should learn to read better then. Cam was saying that Alonso can roll his eyes about Grosjean all he wants, "everybody starts somewhere." Alonso didn't start his career by ramming other people consistently on the first lap.
No, but he did start his career doing pretty amazingly retarded things like driving full throttle through a downforce limited corner under double waved yellow flags.
To compare the two is utter stupidity.
To compare one stupid action to another stupid action is stupid? I guess two wrongs don't make a right, but really, Alonso started his career doing pretty dumb things.
Grosjean needs to take his dumbass back to GP2 and learn how to not crash into other people on the start. Who were the people that said Kimi was going to be threatened by him again? The only threat he poses is crashing into Kimi and taking him out. :lol:
Note – I'm not trying to assert that Grosjean's actions in spa were sane, nor that his actions over the year have been... But, trying to assert that Alonso (or in fact any of the other top drivers) didn't do anything utterly retarded in their early years in F1 is nuts.

turbof1

I'm not getting into the discussion of what was more stupid, however...

I have alot more respect for Alonso. After all he started very humble at the time with Minardi and made the best of that. Grosjean however started at what was at the time a midfield team in 2009, but didn't do anything with that, even though the car was able to score some points. Now we are in 2012, he got a second chance with a car actually able to fight for the win, but is still crashing around at most of the races. One can say he is a rookie, but just take a moment and look to a driver like Paul Di Resta who drove just superb in his first season, in a 2011 car which was relative to the complete field equal to the Renault in 2009.
If you do want to compare the 2, then I think everybody can agree Alonso is the better driver, from his beginning years. Yes, he too made dumb mistakes, which driver hasn't, but on a far less regular base then Grosjean does.
#AeroFrodo

marcush.
marcush.

well Sutil spent a whole year crashing into other people in first lap incidents ...but that was a thte back of the field...and he had difficulty to adapt...
I think some kids just had luck in having superb machinery that allowed them to start from further up the grid ..but
seriously some guys have just a better feel for things happening around them.
Kimi was coming into f1 with VERY limited experience in single seater racing had a few incidents and did very well ,
Kobayashi was in my view a true master in coming into formula 1 with a exciting level of aggresion without punting off other people .Sutil,Maldonado and Grosjean stand out as the ones who fail to fight finding the right measure they completely lack finesse complementing their level of aggression trying to stamp authority or whatever.Not vvery clever .
Perez is managing those things better .What a pity both sauber drivers were victims of that chaos.
I think a future master does do mistakes once when hotshoe does run into the same errors again and again shrugging it off not even thinking he was at the root of the problem -which problem? - these have not the capacity to question their own doings and it will fall back on them some day.Grosjean maintained he was not at fault and it was just bad luck or whatever..
Lauda was right about the new crop of drivers: when something goes wrong there is alsways a yes i was wrong ,BUT ....they always look for excuses and explanations when it would be sufficient to accept responsibility and learn not to do such stupid things again..that´s why a ban is the only thing they understand -take away the toy.

Chuckjr

raymondu999 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1zGUufkhQ0[/youtube]
That's a very telling video. JB just drove the lap more precicely. Very telling. Thank you for posting. JB has some serious skills. Wow.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Ray

beelsebob wrote:
Ray wrote: To compare the two is utter stupidity.
To compare one stupid action to another stupid action is stupid? I guess two wrongs don't make a right, but really, Alonso started his career doing pretty dumb things.
He did make some dumb mistakes. Taking out multiple cars, multiple times was not one of them. I don't disagree Alonso has done some stupid things in his early days, Grojean has done more of them with more severe consequences for other drivers. Making mistakes is one thing, having your boneheaded moves affect others is entirely different. Look at Maldonado. Do you think that anyone would hate him as much if all he did was take himself out? Of course not. When your stupidity directly impacts other racers the circumstances for criticism change completely.
beelsebob wrote:
Ray wrote:Grosjean needs to take his dumbass back to GP2 and learn how to not crash into other people on the start. Who were the people that said Kimi was going to be threatened by him again? The only threat he poses is crashing into Kimi and taking him out. :lol:
Note – I'm not trying to assert that Grosjean's actions in spa were sane, nor that his actions over the year have been... But, trying to assert that Alonso (or in fact any of the other top drivers) didn't do anything utterly retarded in their early years in F1 is nuts.
I'm not saying any of the other drivers didn't make mistakes, I'd appreciate if you'd quit associating me with things I didn't say. Look at Raikkonen, Alonso, and even Fisi. Were they know for crashing into other people on a regular basis in their early careers? NO. So comparing the early career of Alonso to that of Grosjean is asinine. Grosjean has made himself into a battering ram, Alonso was never like that. He made mistakes, but he wasn't plowing through the field like his throttle was stuck. Make the mistake once, shame on you. Make it twice, and worse the second time around, your ass needs to sit from the sidelines and watch everyone else do it. Saying "it's not right to criticize because everyone has to start somewhere" is utter stupidity. Then trying to cast a shadow on Alonso because he made mistakes in his early career is lunacy. Alonso never made a dumbass move like that, he never wiped out two rows of cars and the championship leader in one fell swoop. He has more than enough reason to be upset, and all he actually said was he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why Cam went on a tangent jumping on Alonso makes no sense.

Ray

Also, this is hilarious

piast9
piast9

Chuckjr wrote:That's a very telling video. JB just drove the lap more precicely. Very telling. Thank you for posting. JB has some serious skills. Wow.
In my opinion JB drove more precisely because his car was better balanced. Lewis overshot La source but then he was correcting oversteer every other corner. Somehow JB found better setup for the conditions and his liking of the car.