2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrewf1

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

Ray wrote:Also, this is hilarious

http://roundplastic.com/alonso.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: fantastic! where did you find that? :lol:
Last edited by Richard on 04 Sep 2012, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video quoted from earlier post

Kiril Varbanov

That's strange, I just re-watched the race and I was amazed by the small amount of telemetry shown this year on Spa. When I was on air I actually hoped to see both drivers telemetry data, I think it was Massa and Vettel and then Kimi and MSC, but none of these were shown ...

Richard
Richard

Some interesting thoughts from Gary Anderson about Maldonado's jump start:
The wet weather on Friday meant that the teams did not have as much time as usual to get the clutches bedded in properly and make them work correctly, which was always likely to cause some kind of problem at the start.

The way the clutch works is that you hold it just on the bite point while keeping the brakes on. Then you feed it in. But once one of the carbon clutches used in an F1 car heats up, the co-efficient of friction - in other words, its grip level - goes up astronomically.

The clutch on Maldonado's car bit on him just before it should have done and he had to go with it. He could not react quickly enough and he was a passenger. He got a five-place grid penalty at the next race for that. But it was influenced by the events earlier in the weekend, so I would excuse him on that count. It happens sometimes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19465187

Lurk

Or maybe his hands just slipped...

zyphro
zyphro

Haha what a gem, much like your avatar ;).

astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Jackles-UK wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Does anyone know why Hamilton took the time to recover a part of the front wing, and carry it all the way back to the pits? Maybe this is the part that is flexing?
It was in the middle of the pitlane so he picked it up so the marshalls didn't have to. (They may have missed it).
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12bel2506.jpg
I think he just picked it up as it was in the pitlane exit and it was prob obvious cars would be pitting

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

gilgen wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Does anyone know why Hamilton took the time to recover a part of the front wing, and carry it all the way back to the pits? Maybe this is the part that is flexing?
It was in the middle of the pitlane so he picked it up so the marshalls didn't have to. (They may have missed it).
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12bel2506.jpg
I would be surprised to hear that the marshals overlooked such a piece. Now, the actual end plate looks like a McLaren part, so I doubt that he was just being a good boy scout.
Marshalls hadn't even brought out the brooms by that point. He went straight down the pitlane if you remember.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Richard
Richard

I think I've seen him do something like that before, maybe its something to distract him from the emotion of crashing.

Anyone have thoughts on Maldonado's clutch, or is picking up litter more interesting?
Last edited by Richard on 05 Sep 2012, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: From MP4-27 thread ... oops

aral
aral

richard_leeds wrote:I think I've seen him do something like that before, maybe its something to distract him from the emotion of crashing.

Anyone have thoughts on Maldonado's clutch, or is picking up litter more interesting?
Oh Richard. This is a McLaren thread and here you are trying to turn it into a Maldonado subject. Have to report this 'off topic' comment!

Holm86

gilgen wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:I think I've seen him do something like that before, maybe its something to distract him from the emotion of crashing.

Oh Richard. This is a McLaren thread and here you are trying to turn it into a Maldonado subject. Have to report this 'off topic' comment!
Agreed. He should moderate himself!

zyphro
zyphro

gilgen wrote:

:lol: .

turbof1

gilgen wrote:Oh Richard. This is a McLaren thread and here you are trying to turn it into a Maldonado subject. Have to report this 'off topic' comment!
I just had to rate that post as valuable, couldn't resist it :lol:
#AeroFrodo

Chuckjr

It actually is quite funny. Lol
Watching F1 since 1986.

ArchAngel

:lol: Spent a few good minutes ROFLMAO watching this. The captions make it utterly hilarious. :lol:

stefan_
stefan_

Brilliant. The part where he sees his life flashing is killing me :lol:
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985