2012 Italian Grand Prix - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Guisson

Re: 2012 Italian Grand Prix - Monza

Some Questions :
- Will Lotus be strong enough to secure a 1st/2nd Row ? ( Without DDRS ! )
-Will a One Stopper be Possible ?
-Will Vettel , ..Red Bull gamble on short gear ratios here in the Speed Temple ?
-Will Mercedes Finally make a good result ?
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

simieski
simieski

raymondu999 wrote:I foresee first corner carnage, considering last year's Grand Prix, and the last Grand Prix. My crystal ball isn't getting very good reception right now and I can't really see who gets caught up in it - but I fear at least 1 car out of the WCC top 5 will be taken out, and another will be wounded..

As such I am refraining from making any predictions :mrgreen:
Even with RG sitting this one out? Still can never count out PM to fulfill your prophecy, but with him starting at best in 11th it's good motivation for the drivers to get themselves into Q3 and keep well clear of the numpty, unless of course his hand slips on the clucth again, then no-one is safe :lol:
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

raymondu999

I don't think anything can really protect you from such an event. See last year. Liuzzi started on one of the back 2 rows, and he slammed into those around the lower half of Q3. It was a long shot, and a longer shot that it'll happen again this year, but still - never say never.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gato azul
gato azul

raymondu999 wrote:Setup is the biggest question for me. I wonder if the low drag setup philosophy of Monza is true anymore.
Watch back to 2011, and Vettel was the fastest car bar none through Curva Grande, as he had better traction onto the straight, and was hitting his top speed (while others couldn't hit even Vettel's top speed)
I think part of this was RBR`s philosophy in regards of using EBD to generate the downforce.
I think the short gearing played into this, I don't thing that they run an "extremely draggy" wing configuration their last year, but they surprised people with their gear ratio choice.
I will depend a lot on how you finish (or what your expectations are) for Qualifying and if you feel, you can make a "break" early from the field and don't be exposed to an DRS attack.
With EBD not being such an dominant factor (the effect is still there, but not as strong as last year) , they may need to rethink their approach a bit, will be interesting to see, which route the different teams choose.
On a side note, what the weather forecast like? Any chance of a wet race?

SamH123
SamH123

Dry weekend looking almost nailed on: http://f1weather.com/2012/09/03/italian ... -forecast/

Gonna be great that the teams get time to properly setup their cars - I reckon Sauber will struggle to repeat their Spa performance

clipsy1H

Qualifying top3.

1.Hamilton
2.Rosberg
3.Schumacher

Race top3.

1.Hamilton
2.Vettel
3.Kimi.

raymondu999

gato azul wrote:With EBD not being such an dominant factor (the effect is still there, but not as strong as last year) , they may need to rethink their approach a bit, will be interesting to see, which route the different teams choose.
Yes - it would be very interesting.
On a side note, what the weather forecast like? Any chance of a wet race?
Very little chance I think. I believe Vettel's 2008 win was just about the only wet Monza race in the last 25 years or so? Could be wrong
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zyphro
zyphro

I'm punting Schumacher to be on the podium here.

marcush.
marcush.

I´d bet on Barrichello if he was participating with lotus on the podium .I would prefer him all day long over sutil or dámbrosio.sutil is just as blind and stubborn as grosjean and ambrosio ...well we will see .

SeijaKessen

The Williams has good top speed. I think we could see a double points finish perhaps for them...that is assuming Maldonado can play nice.

JMN
JMN

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

And yet his setup was still the draggiest, most-downforcy setup of the lot. 327kph, 22kph off the top of the speedtraps (quali data from last year)
I just watched his pole lap from last year. Seb was hitting the limiter 4 times throughout the lap; I think that does indicate his engine was set up agressively and for more acceleration.
There was a lot of talk about Vettel opting for short gears (and 7th especially so) for Monza last year. Ultimately, it was dependend on him being in front and staying there by accelerating faster and making better use of the rev range. With the field so much closer this year, it'll be very risky to go for the same setup philosophy as he won't be able to keep up on the straights nor be able to make good use of DRS to overtake due to the short gears, should he not start in front or get passed at some point.
Last edited by JMN on 04 Sep 2012, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Ozan
Ozan

Monza. One of the most loved circuits ever. (after spa :D )

I love how all of the teams make their Low-Downforce setups and bring the packages. Low downforce means competition for all teams(imo).

Last year Vettel had EBD advantage and they ran a very-low downforce rear wing, in fact it was no-downforce rear wing :lol: but I think this year they will play catch up and overtake in second sector, if they won't be out of the race in the first chicane carnage(i'm sure that will happen unless Whiting talk to all pilots). They can't make longer-7th ratio because of Newey's tight packaging.

McLaren with the latest updates will catch the pole I think but they will be challenged by Merc pilots,Maldonado and Kobayashi (they are the fastest on the low-df circuits)

Lotus may be competitive but I think they still can't win a race. They lack top speed.

so, my guess for the quali and race:

Quali: 1-Ham 2-MSC 3-Alo
Race: 1-Ham 2-Alo 3-But

Jackles-UK

Would it be possible to create a 2011/12 Monza rear wing? Different from the Monza wings of old taking into account the new rules? I was thinking that if the upper flap could create the majority of the wings downforce rather than the lower plane, then as soon as the DRS is opened it can dump it. I was thinking of an upper plane shaped a bit like an over-sized gurney flap, with the usual Monza-spec low AoA main plane so that whan the DRS opens there are two really flat, slippery elements with very little drag.

This aleviates two problems:
1) DRS has been almost pointless around Monza, with so little drag already what is there left to get rid of? Having the main plane create the drag means that they could run more downforce and still enable them to reach top speeds (I feel this would be beneficial to both Quali and the race, better traction plus then higher top speed) and,

2) As a result of the above, overtaking then becomes almost impossible (see Hamilton vs Schumi last year). If DRS suddenly becomes useful around Monza, expect fireworks!

What do you think? Possible? Legal?

Chuckjr

Is it possible to configure the DRS (when opened), to create a very slight lift so the car becomes a bit lighter, and therefore a few MPH faster and use less fuel, or is that a ridiculous idea?
Watching F1 since 1986.

bhall
bhall

It's not exactly ridiculous. But, all lift, whether it's pointed down or up, is drag.

That said, Ferrari induced a bit of actual lift on the front of the 248F1 at Monza in 200000000006. It seemed to work pretty well, too.

(Note: victorious gesture)