Khamsin Virtual Racecar challenge 2013 (CFD model racing)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
N12ck

Re: F1 model CFD Challenge (Khamsin Virtual Racecar challeng

sent :)
Budding F1 Engineer

stez90
stez90

N12ck is it possible to switch from the supplied tub to a custom one (Team STZ-Racing)? I'm going mad in Blender with all those triangles. :D

N12ck

Yes of course, as long as you make sure the head protection, cockpit entry, splitter and roll structure are in the same place (so it is legal)
Budding F1 Engineer

astracrazy
astracrazy

i know i've spoken to you about this, but can you not send us the suspension for our own testing? Then we just send the cars to you without it? i.e make them a separate 'group'

RicME85

I too would prefer to work with the suspension and wheels available to us.
N12ck wrote:Fuel tank left, and then all ready :D
So where is the fuel tank?

N12ck

RicME85 wrote:I too would prefer to work with the suspension and wheels available to us.
N12ck wrote:Fuel tank left, and then all ready :D
So where is the fuel tank?
Hence why you don't have a fuel tank yet, I said in the email it wasnt ready yet, I have been working on heaps and heaps of university paperwork moving back and forth, and I just havent had time to finish the fuel tank but due to everyone being so eager to have the welcome pack it has to be released without the fuel tank, this is purely just due to time constraints.

You have to remember, we only got this thing all going in the past 2-3 weeks, we are ironing out all sorts of issues at the moment, remember the proper challenge doesn't start until 2013, we have a trial round but that is also checking all systems work.

I will give a few examples, the meshes produced from sketchup aren't brilliant, so mesh repairing needs done which we have been working on and also working out which visualiser we are going to use to distribute the data and testing those.

I promise you, the wheels, suspension, and fueltank will be with you in good time before any races begin.
Budding F1 Engineer

astracrazy
astracrazy

i appreciate we use the same engine and gearbox but do we have to the same tank. Can we design our own providing its the same volume as the one you supply? and we send this too you for verification each race?

N12ck

astracrazy wrote:i appreciate we use the same engine and gearbox but do we have to the same tank. Can we design our own providing its the same volume as the one you supply? and we send this too you for verification each race?
Ideally it would be best to use the same tank, I assure you, as long as you are sensible with bodywork, the fueltank will fit.

I have been spending many days now trying to find a good fix for the meshes on sketchup and been working on meshes, and I have found one, (spent 3 days on it).
Budding F1 Engineer

stez90
stez90

For CFD you need a "watertight" mesh, right? Is it a problem if the bodywork is a single watertight mesh (tub+ sidepots+ nosecone + ... welded together in a single object)? Or you need separate parts? Are there limits on polycount?

N12ck

stez90 wrote:For CFD you need a "watertight" mesh, right? Is it a problem if the bodywork is a single watertight mesh (tub+ sidepots+ nosecone + ... welded together in a single object)? Or you need separate parts? Are there limits on polycount?
no that is not a problem, we are going to run with sealed completely bodywork, as at the moment it is too easy to make the inside of the sidepods too 'thin'. so we are running the cars with blanked intakes, and all joined up, yes if it isn't watertight, we will make it watertight, (with meshing software).
Budding F1 Engineer

stez90
stez90

N12ck wrote: so we are running the cars with blanked intakes
Only blanked? I mean no "outlet" boundary conditions, simple closed walls? It's the same treatment for other air intakes?
(useful info for home testing :D )

astracrazy
astracrazy

yes all intake and outlets are blanked but the areas must meet the rules

RicME85

Not a dig Nick, was just curious.
Have to admit, I didnt read the email...just grab the attachment to see what the supplied tub was like and if I wanted to use it.

N12ck

We are going to release boundary conditions soon and I know Richard, we are working on a lot, this is our priority to make a finished welcome pack ready completely, also please throw suggestions as we are constantly trying to improve, any criticism is useful so please let us know what you would like/ how we can help.
Budding F1 Engineer

Markus
Markus

Hello
I'm new to this stuff and would like to know if anyone out there would like to start a team together with me just because I don't have the the knowledge right now to design a car and make it quick. But if someone is interested in starting up a team with me anyways please respond.