Khamsin Virtual Racecar challenge 2013 (CFD model racing)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage
cdsavage

Re: F1 model CFD Challenge (Khamsin Virtual Racecar challeng

Are airboxes like this acceptable?

astracrazy
astracrazy

i can't see why not.

cdsavage
cdsavage

It doesnt meet the F1 regs as it isnt wide enough, thats why I ask. While I'm at it, can we do 2 element beam wings?

astracrazy
astracrazy

ye the thickness thinking about it would be a problem. You might as well make it the legal thickness - i'm not sure theres too much to gain

according to f1 regs it can only be 1 element (beam wing). I guess apart from the 150mm center section you usually get a slot gap I'm not sure if nick would pass the car as legal if there are areas that are obviously illegal (like that) even if they are not the things he checks every race.

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Am pretty sure Nick sent an email around saying that the shape on the engine cover had to be filled?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy
astracrazy

the shape of the engine cover is filled i think his referring to the thickness from a plan view. the same rule which changed the way the blade airboxes were in 2010 to 2011?

hollus

I'll throw a wrench in your contest, and maybe someone can come out with an interesting idea. The way those cars are only CFD'd, and only the center of pressure is taken into account, there is no penalty for raising the center of gravity (set to a default value in Machin's simulation, right?), so no need to have bulky (heavy) things as close to the floor as possible.
Rivals, not enemies.

N12ck

yes an airbox like that would be legal, however, you would have to be able to show how the roll structure would look, but your engine cover would in no doubt be made illegal (there is nothing there) :lol: , by the way guys, excellent jobs on your cars this round!
Budding F1 Engineer

stez90
stez90

Hi Nick is it ok that i received cfd files but there are still no results of the race? :?:

cdsavage
cdsavage

N12ck wrote:yes an airbox like that would be legal, however, you would have to be able to show how the roll structure would look, but your engine cover would in no doubt be made illegal (there is nothing there) :lol: , by the way guys, excellent jobs on your cars this round!
What would need to be done to make it legal (by kvrc rules)?

And what about the 2 element beam wings?

N12ck

stez90 wrote:Hi Nick is it ok that i received cfd files but there are still no results of the race? :?:
this is fine, just finishing the checking of the regs (measuring everything) :lol: results will be out by sunday, :)
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

cdsavage wrote:
N12ck wrote:yes an airbox like that would be legal, however, you would have to be able to show how the roll structure would look, but your engine cover would in no doubt be made illegal (there is nothing there) :lol: , by the way guys, excellent jobs on your cars this round!
What would need to be done to make it legal (by kvrc rules)?

And what about the 2 element beam wings?
you would need a border around it so show where the intake area is, and where the skin is, for the 2 element beam wings, these are illegal (excluding the central 150mm) :D
Budding F1 Engineer

etsmc
etsmc

just a quick question the VTK file sent out by julien was that the 180mph test or the slower test?

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

VTK files are for the 100mph with 3 degree Yaw. Nick is working through car checking, putting the feedback sheet together and releasing the results by the due date. Giving you access to the VTK files prior to releasing the results give you a couple more days to analyse them prior to the submission for the next race - Silverstone due on 14th June.

Pictures of the same case are available at https://plus.google.com/photos/11084579 ... 4944268401

etsmc
etsmc

is it possible to get the 180mph test sent out as the last races were sent out with the 180mph test..

also the images you linked to show flow lines. How do we show them in para view? :o