Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
clipsy1H

Re: Rumor Mill: Hamilton to leave for Mercedes

SeijaKessen wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Perhaps as another poster mentioned, Schumacher may leave Mercedes to aid Ferrari in Development as well as giving Perez another year to further mature.
Of all the potential on paper moves, Schumacher going to Ferrari makes the most sense to me.

He's forever going to be linked with Ferrari because it was the team he had the greatest impact on, and the most success with. It'd be a win-win situation for Ferrari in 2013 since they would now have a great 2nd driver, and in having that it would allow them to seriously contend for the constructor's title, which is not going to happen with Massa there IMO.
no offense but that's impossible .... can't be a logical explanation to take into account such a move. Ferrari would lose on all areas except image. And even Michael doesn't want to return Ferrari as a pilot. He will continue in DTM with Mercedes.
Mercedes team was made especially for him so if he wants to stay another year probably would have signed few months ago.
Why do you think Mercedes would like to withdraw some support? they came with Schumacher and leave with him.
Don't forget Ferrari already have a big name in team and good developer. They didn't need Schumacher at the moment Ferrari need a young driver for future. and again don't forget how Michael was force leave Ferrari

marcush.
marcush.

Michael Schumacher has no intentions to do DTM .He has never ever made a secret out of this .He just does not feel at home with touringcar type cars.
then secondly he can be believed to have only ever thought of returning permanently due to Ross Brawn .His original plan to stand in for Massa was pure loyality towards Ferarri but it was not on his mind to return to racing then .
That in fact would leave us with him retireing if Hamilton indeed does arrive at MGP 2013 .....or would Nico swap places
with Hamsy???

zyphro
zyphro

I still feel it's a ploy and this story is over-blown.

marcush.
marcush.

Morteza wrote:I always thought of Hamilton's next team, and Mercedes seemed very plausible. I knew if Schumacher left the team, they would bring a top driver. I wanted it to be Hamilton. If Schumacher leaves F1 next season,I'd like to see Lewis in his seat. But the thing is that none can guarantee that Mercedes will be competitive next season. It makes it a big risk for Hamilton whose current team is one the best top teams out there (if not the best). I don't see any motivation on Hamilton's side to move to Mercedes. Mercedes is an inferior team compared to McLaren. No doubt about it. If Schumacher wants to leave Mercedes, is it because their being incapable? If so, wouldn't Hamilton's decision to join Mercedes be a big mistake? I see no reason why Schumacher would leave Mercedes if they are competitive next season. Just my 2 cent. I Can be wrong altogether, you know :wink:
you nailed it my friend.

The one exception would be Mercedes does indeed find its way Schumacher bags a win this weekend or in one of the folowing and leaves his third life for permanent retirement from the sport in joy..

What about Haug -who is a Hamsy fan -has offered him a drive and rosberg won´t accept to be relegated to No2 status going to mac in exchange? that would ease Mclarens financial woes ..as Rosberg would be paid by Daimler and Hamsy is also paid by them...so it was not poaching away the prince but helping friends in a stiff situation... :roll:

Hamilton would be over the moon to compare himself with Schumi in the same machinery.Everyone in current F1 would.

zyphro
zyphro

marcush. wrote:
Hamilton would be over the moon to compare himself with Schumi in the same machinery.Everyone in current F1 would.
I highly doubt that. To put it one way: they don't seem like the best of friends. Especially not after Monza 2011.

SeijaKessen

clipsy1H wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Perhaps as another poster mentioned, Schumacher may leave Mercedes to aid Ferrari in Development as well as giving Perez another year to further mature.
Of all the potential on paper moves, Schumacher going to Ferrari makes the most sense to me.

He's forever going to be linked with Ferrari because it was the team he had the greatest impact on, and the most success with. It'd be a win-win situation for Ferrari in 2013 since they would now have a great 2nd driver, and in having that it would allow them to seriously contend for the constructor's title, which is not going to happen with Massa there IMO.
no offense but that's impossible .... can't be a logical explanation to take into account such a move. Ferrari would lose on all areas except image. And even Michael doesn't want to return Ferrari as a pilot. He will continue in DTM with Mercedes.
Mercedes team was made especially for him so if he wants to stay another year probably would have signed few months ago.
Why do you think Mercedes would like to withdraw some support? they came with Schumacher and leave with him.
Don't forget Ferrari already have a big name in team and good developer. They didn't need Schumacher at the moment Ferrari need a young driver for future. and again don't forget how Michael was force leave Ferrari
Never say never.

If Michael was in fact in the 2nd seat at Ferrari this season, they would either be leading the constructor's championship, or be close to the top.

The W03 is an absolute piece of garbage as far as I am concerned. I have been rather impressed by how well he has been driving the car as of late especially since Nico seems to be off in la-la land. With the exception of Bahrain, in every race Schumacher has finished, he has finished above Nico.

I believe Schumacher's lack of commitment to 2013 simple is a case of MGP being an absolute joke of a team in terms of management. Had he known he was walking into Ross and Norby the Hutt's web of deceit, I reckon he stays in Switzerland counting his money.

clipsy1H

@SeijaKessen

Michael will never comeback at Ferrari like pilot... his relation with Mercedes is to strong no one force him to leave but he want to quit. But you keep dreaming :D (I wish this dream come true but there's no chance)

SeijaKessen

clipsy1H wrote:@SeijaKessen

Michael will never comeback at Ferrari like pilot... his relation with Mercedes is to strong no one force him to leave but he want to quit. But you keep dreaming :D (I wish this dream come true but there's no chance)
How do you figure his relationship is that strong?

You claimed he would go to the DTM, which Marcus told you is not true.

He hasn't even been willing to commit to MGP for the 2013 season...does that really strike you as something someone with a strong relationship with a team would do?

The most beneficial things that Merc ever did for Schumacher was paying Eddie Jordan the $150K for the seat at Spa in 1991, and then helping to negotiate that contact at the time of Monza 1991 for the seat at Benetton.

Schumacher put the Scuderia Ferrari back on the map as a team capable of challenging, and actually winning championships. As I stated previously, that is what his F1 career will be remembered for. After that, then people will remember his time at Benetton, and lastly Mercedes. His time at Merc is going to be one of those footnotes that people tend to ignore --sort of like Michael Jordan's stint with the Washington Wizards-- because it's been a waste of time.

Also the relationship with Merc is so strong, that apparently you had someone, or some people within the team possibly sabotaging his car.

clipsy1H

SeijaKessen wrote: Also the relationship with Merc is so strong, that apparently you had someone, or some people within the team possibly sabotaging his car.
man please grow up and understand that's impossible .... I also believe in Michael, but his time in F1 is almost over because he wants it. like i said there's not a logical reason why Ferrari offer him a seat next season.
conspiracy theory is overwhelming if you think sabotaged his car. why Mercedes would do that :wtf: :wtf: just to proof Nico was in shape at the first part of season? Now the decision is only to Michael if he wants to stay he should just sign the contract but i don't think so...

FoxHound

SeijaKessen wrote:Also the relationship with Merc is so strong, that apparently you had someone, or some people within the team possibly sabotaging his car.
Sabotage can also take place in the shape of a mole placed there intentionally from outside.
JET set

marcush.
marcush.

On RTL Schumacher is quoted with a very suspicious comment:I´m a valuable asset for big brands
.what does this imply?
A future with Mercedes ?
A RedBull Dream team?
A comeback to Ferrari?
A future with Mclaren?
Even Lotus qualifies as a big brand...
OR what if Volkwagen does invest into Sauber after all...

Why does he say Brand and not: Team or Manufacturer?

The most intriguing bit to me is :why does he talk about anything else than Mercedes AMG?

Clearly -Schumacher has set targets to MGP which were not met as of yet and are highly unlikely to be met till october (regret to have put a october deadline)
Schumacher will not retire
He has given himself another 1 or maybe 2 years to pitch for another championship and he certainly feels 1 more is possible.
Maybe Schumacher just wants to tackle this on a year by year base putting pressure on the team .
Leaving us with the question where he might go ...look above and ask yourself.

to me -Schumacher would lead the championship now if he was driving for Sauber this year but Audi engine will happen only in 2 years if at all.so more a wet dream...and a marketing masterstroke.
Ferrari -I think Alonso+ Schumacher would not work out.
Vettel -Schumacher at RedBull with Newey -wow that ´d be a killer combo just as good as Button Hamilton
Schumacher Button - another dream team and a guarantee for success methinks

Take your choice -Schumachers patience and confidence with MGP has reached a point where quick improvements are necessary to turn the corner and possibly it´s all too late as promises and announcements were not supported by results.
He might even feel that MGP might face a closedown ..leaving him without his aim to be fulfilled if not going elsewhere..
Last edited by marcush. on 06 Sep 2012, 23:10, edited 2 times in total.

jdlive
jdlive

Vettel - Schumacher would rock! They are good friends and despite both of their ego's, I could actually see them teaming up succesfully. It would also bring a lot of merchandise money to Red Bull.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

zyphro
zyphro

I can't see Schumacher retiring either; he can still win races at least, if not a championship given a competitive car. He's already said he's not satisfied with what he's achieved, thus I can't see him leaving the show just yet.

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

Stradivarius wrote:
internetf1fan wrote:
Coefficient wrote: The silly thing about your comment is that KERS was also in the regulations for all the teams including Ferrari yet they didn't use it either. Sometiems a Gentelmen's agreement is exactly that.
And that was my point. If Ferrari and others were happy to hamper their performance, let them. If they continued not using KERS then McLaren would be in an advantage, Even if Ferrari decided to use KERS, the McLaren package was better. By agreeing to that stupid gentlemens agreement, McLaren didn't get anything when they could have contented for both championships. That's what I mean by Whitmarsh not having any balls.
This is not even close to the advantage Ferrari gave away in front of the 2006-season, when they agreed to limit their testing. While McLaren had spent their money on their technology center, Ferrari had invested in their own test track, right outside the factory and were thereby able to test at a much lower cost. Testing the car on track is definitely the most efficient way of developing the car and Ferrari built their success on this philosophy. In 2006 they then agreed to eliminate this advantage through a similar gentlemen's agreement. When they lost the title in the last two races, it was all down to reliability, which can be directly attributed to limited testing. A team that tests regularly as Ferrari used to do, is much less likely to experience reliability problems during the race weekend, simply because the problems will be discovered on the test track.

In 2005 all the teams except Ferrari agreed to limit their testing. Unfortunately for Ferrari, the new tyre rules meant the development was all about tyres and Ferrari was the only team testing for Bridgestone. So even though Ferrari loged 70 days of testing, while the other teams on Michelins did 30 days each that season, Bridgestone came out with only 1/3 of the mileage that Michelin achieved.
I don't really care what Ferrari did to hamper themselves, what I care is McLaren deliberately left time on the table for FOTA. What was the point of FOTA anyway.

If Ferrari wants to hamper themselves, let them, but McLaren should be maximising their performance within the regulations. Not implementing KERS when it was perfectly legal in the regulations means that they let their fans and drivers down.

Whitmarsh lacks the balls. He's too soft. Ever since Ron left McLaren has gone down the drain. At least with Ron they won the championship in 2008. The year when they focused on one driver. Then Whitmarsh came, disbanded Hamilton's race team, started giving better strategies to Button, even seemed to give Button the better pit crew. How many points has McLaren lost Hamilton?

Chuckjr

Does anyone here know - with strong confidence - if the relationship between Luca and Schumacher is good? I know Mike has said he left with things strained because he felt he had some more years left, but had he stayed Ferrari would have not landed Kimi, and Massa would have gone elsewhere w/o a seat as he was entering his prime. I understood when Mike left, it was to allow Massa to stay as he (MS) had strong confidence Massa was going to have a very successful career. Had Massa won the WDC in 08', maybe things would be different now with Massa, but that's over now.

Point here is, and what I'm wondering, is if Mike and Luca get on well or if there's still bad blood between them?
Watching F1 since 1986.