235 mpg VW

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Lurk

Re: 235 mpg VW

150kg to 200kg more surely don't help, even with a more recent engine. Anyway your Lupo 3l is impressive. Can I asked what is your typical usage? It is a city car so my first guess is city, but... just curious :wink:

BTW I just asked myself: on a pure marketing PoV, why chose VW and not an Audi? I mean, VolksWagen...
Even if they may be not the car of people anymore, I'm not sure VW was the best brand VAG has to build a flagship. But as I am not aware of their history in that domain (1st time I heard about the Lupo 3L, my relatively young age & late access to internet is not really a help), so maybe some of you will have an explanation. I'm only aware of VW BlueMotion but Audi has the same kind of technology.

Heating is no issue as it always uses waste heat anyway.
yeah another time when I should have thought before written (heat->electric->consumption... err nope, a car is not an appartment). I don't know how I can't even forget about that given that each time I use heating, I saw a 10°C water temp drop on my dashboard...

marcush.
marcush.

living in stuttgart area my daily drive is 64km to work and back -the lupo easily beats the train on cost and more importantly time ...not many cars will be competitive and it does not feel lame at all! and 3l/100km is a realistic consumption target ...and you get a very uptodate car for less than 3K€ !!!(No A2 3l is sold for that sort of money i heard they are even better in terms of mpg ..)of course the gearbox hydraulics is a bit delicate -you should not even think about it without having access and knowledge of a VAGcom as the box and clutch needs a bit of attention every now and then to live as long as possible .. :roll:(mine has 218000km :mrgreen: )

Unfortunatelly with diesel ,electric drive etc heating and all ancilliaries is indeed a problem for the new crop of cars .You just cannot afford to invest energy in the range of 3-5 KW to heat the interior for example and an ev vehicle will not supply that sort of waste heat on tap ....so energy conservation is the name of the game -plastic windows for example do isolate much better than glass ,and plastic body panels possibly with foam core could help as well .
Managing the little heat available is of paramount importance.
Even the high efficiency models of the bread and butter lines of cars Polo ,Golf TSI and c ommoinrail diesels do actually have interior comfort issues due to marginal heater capabilities .Make no bones about it -not every car variant will be tested intensely before reaching the market and a variant in heating layout usually is not something cost management will be keen to decide on -so if the high efficiency model was not really part of the original production plan chances are you will freeze your butt off .. :mrgreen:

FoxHound

@Lurk

Yes it will be the Cannes film festival :D Sadly my budget does not extend to the Monaco GP, that'll be for 2014.

@WB and Marcush.

I have had the 1.4TDi A2 as a runner for 2 weeks in Scotland about 4 years ago, and if you are doing journeys of over 20 miles with no traffic it is a frugal car. But in stop start traffic, it was a different story.
The car Returned about 45Mpg average for me in that time, with cold ambient temps of around -1 to 5 degrees.

On a similar footing I drove a toyota Yaris diesel in Poland during Christmas 2011. It was around 6 years old and ran short journeys for a week and one 300 mile journey to Zakopane ski resort in some hectic traffic along the way. The average was 59 Mpg. At the time I didn't realise, but the engine is actually a BMW mini diesel.

Anyhow all this talk of diesel's got me wondering, anyone heard of the DiesOtto engine?
JET set