2012 Korean GP - Yeong-Am

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Who will leave Korea as the championship leader?

Poll ended at 14 Oct 2012, 07:36

Alonso
39%
Vettel
61%

Total votes: 109

f1316
f1316

Re: 2012 Korean GP - Yeong-Am

MikeFromCanada wrote:
ESPN F1 wrote:The FIA has lengthened the DRS zone at the Korean International Circuit by 80 metres ahead of this weekend's grand prix.
WHY???

It can be argued DRS should not be on that massively long straight all together (as with the Kemmel straight), and yet now they decide to lengthen the zone? :wtf:
I guess becasuse Webber found it so hard to get past Hamilton last year?

I personally enjoy seeing people having the possibility to defend, but then you could argue that Webber would have challenged Vettel for the win if he had got past.
Last edited by f1316 on 10 Oct 2012, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

f1316 wrote:
MikeFromCanada wrote:
ESPN F1 wrote:The FIA has lengthened the DRS zone at the Korean International Circuit by 80 metres ahead of this weekend's grand prix.
WHY???

It can be argued DRS should not be on that massively long straight all together (as with the Kemmel straight), and yet now they decide to lengthen the zone? :wtf:
I guess becasuse Webber found it so hard to get past Hamilton last year?
Right, but that was because they were bumping the rev limiter, because the DRS zone was in the wrong place, not because it was too short. The DRS zone should be on the straight before or after the main straight, not on the main straight.

FLuidd
FLuidd

Vettel will win this year's WDC and it all starts here in Korea.

Remember kids , Red Bull has both the downforce and speed due to their new DDRS system.

The championship is over.

f1316
f1316

beelsebob wrote: Right, but that was because they were bumping the rev limiter, because the DRS zone was in the wrong place, not because it was too short. The DRS zone should be on the straight before or after the main straight, not on the main straight.
I guess you could argue that was RB's fault with the gear ratios.

Either way I guess they want to make it easier because: "Korea was among the worst tracks for overtaking last year, with just 29 moves completed - just over half of the season average." (autosport)

raymondu999

A large part of it IMO is mind management. If he comes into the race thinking he has to win - he could end up being brash and binning it. If he comforts himself saying he only needs podiums, he's more likely to play it safe and collect points.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1316
f1316

raymondu999 wrote:A large part of it IMO is mind management. If he comes into the race thinking he has to win - he could end up being brash and binning it. If he comforts himself saying he only needs podiums, he's more likely to play it safe and collect points.
I agree that it's mind management, but I actually think he's had an overally cautious approach for too long and that having to be more aggressive may suit him.

raymondu999

It's debatable, but a fresh approach could be warranted.

A lot of athletes do fall into that rut at times. I often find (I used to be a performance coach once upon a time) that there are times when an athlete gets successful results through suboptimal methods. They repeat it once or twice, and when they face a long barren period, they go back to what they know worked, only to realise that the conditions and circumstances might in fact have changed, and warrant a change from the athlete's approach.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SamH123
SamH123

I think we could be back to Mclaren and RB being close this race

It's easy to forget Button was only 4 tenths down in qualifying in Suzuka. If Vettel had had the Q3 we expected in Singapore the gap there would have more

If Hamilton really was having serious setup issues in Suzuka it could be close again in S Korea. Also Silverstone/Suzuka were similar tracks with similar results for Mclaren, maybe there is a connection there.

MikeFromCanada

SamH123 wrote:I think we could be back to Mclaren and RB being close this race

It's easy to forget Button was only 4 tenths down in qualifying in Suzuka. If Vettel had had the Q3 we expected in Singapore the gap there would have more

If Hamilton really was having serious setup issues in Suzuka it could be close again in S Korea. Also Silverstone/Suzuka were similar tracks with similar results for Mclaren, maybe there is a connection there.
It's amazing how Hamilton's results seem to carry more weight than Button's when it comes to the general feeling towards McLaren's pace. Lewis had an awful weekend pace-wise at Suzuka and thus the general consensus has been McLaren had awful pace. However as Sam and others have mentioned, Jenson was only 4 tenths off Vettel's time. Generally speaking, that 3-4 tenths margin seems to be a consistent difference for Jenson to the pole time at most of the circuits this year, though many times that pole times has been by Lewis. What I'm saying is Jenson has been the slower of the 2 McLaren drivers in qualifying all season long, so it is not too hard to imagine that Lewis would have got closer to Vettel's pole time than 4 tenths. Lewis has out-qualified Button in I believe 11 of the 14 races leading up to Suzuka?

Nando
Nando

12-3 in Qualifying and a total of 4 seconds in collected time deficit.
Lost a full second in Suzuka and 8 tenths in SPA due to the different wing and now latest messing up the setup.

It was obvious he was struggling, you could see the super-early braking he did but it seemed to click mid way through the race.

What surprised me the most was how close he got to Button before falling back again.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

FLuidd
FLuidd

Nando wrote:12-3 in Qualifying and a total of 4 seconds in collected time deficit.
Lost a full second in Suzuka and 8 tenths in SPA due to the different wing and now latest messing up the setup.

It was obvious he was struggling, you could see the super-early braking he did but it seemed to click mid way through the race.

What surprised me the most was how close he got to Button before falling back again.
Nando , we all apreciate your optimism , but let's face it ... Vettel will take this one , specially in this season where qualifying is so important.

That is it.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

PlatinumZealot

FLuidd wrote:Vettel will win this year's WDC and it all starts here in Korea.

Remember kids , Red Bull has both the downforce and speed due to their new DDRS system.

I said "Championship over" waaay back in March in the RedBull thread, and I was reprimanded and my comment deleted. Ironic isn't it?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

n smikle wrote:

I said "Championship over" waaay back in March in the RedBull thread, and I was reprimanded and my comment deleted. Ironic isn't it?
I can understand being reprimanded for calling the season so soon. But deleted comment? really? was in the RB8 thread? Odd.

Anyhoo. I'm predicting that the Lotus passive DRS (aka "the Device" aka "DDRS" aka "PDRS") will still have issue in setup, putting them lower in the final order compared to Mcl, RB, and Ferrari.

With any luck, Lotus will have issue in qualifying, putting RG further back in the top 10 (see? I am not saying that he isn't fast, I just don't want him near Webber and Vettel...).

For his own sake, I hope Massa can out qualify and finish higher than Alonso this time around on his own merits.

Ideally: Red Bull 1-2 lights to flag.

Realistically:
1. Vettel/Hamilton (looking for Vettel to take this one)
2. Hamilton/Alonso
3. Button/Alonso/Webber
4. Alonso/Webber/Raikkonen

Dark horses are Sauber if they can get the tires smoothed out for longer.

Don't think Mercedes will have their "device" set up properly to be utilized.
Force India and Williams will duke it out with Mercedes to fill out the lower points positions.

Ral
Ral

RB7ate9 wrote:
n smikle wrote:

I can understand being reprimanded for calling the season so soon. But deleted comment? really? was in the RB8 thread? Odd.
Possibly because the season hadn't even started yet? Or had, but the RBR'S wasn't exactly setting the pace? Mark Gillan from Williams, says they suspect RBR have found a better exhaust position and suspects that might have more to do with the upturn in speed.
Anyhoo. I'm predicting that the Lotus passive DRS (aka "the Device" aka "DDRS" aka "PDRS") will still have issue in setup, putting them lower in the final order compared to Mcl, RB, and Ferrari.

With any luck, Lotus will have issue in qualifying, putting RG further back in the top 10 (see? I am not saying that he isn't fast, I just don't want him near Webber and Vettel...).
Well, if you are basing your hopes on problems getting the device set up, you're out of luck as they won't be running it at all this weekend.