Vehicle Development Project - Interests

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
CFDruss
CFDruss

Vehicle Development Project - Interests

Hi all, I’m sorry I have been away for so long, so I hope all are well.

I am writing this thread for a reason and so I should explain.

There will be many people out there, whether they are simply not interested or consider there professional time to delicate, however I hope some member show an interest and can offer there assistance.

For many many years now I have envisaged building a dream machine of a track/road car, but have put it off due to believing it is realistically impossibly to perform such a task individually. However, it has come to the time where I feel I need to pursue such a dream and answer the question of “what if??”

So this basically forms the basis of this thread, I am seeking members who are interested in helping in such a task and being part of possibly the first team to ever fully develop a vehicle though global communication. This dream may never reach past a ideas stage, put with our effort and dreams, nothing would ever happen. Obviously, I do not have the initial funds to pay for your help and can there for only offer a contract to be drawn up that give you rights to a small percentage of any profits ever made should the vehicle ever make it to production. I will also with out a doubt reference all designers on a special plate that shall be mounted either as part of the interior or engine bay.

I am therefore seeking all interest that can help in areas such as follows,

- Steering and suspension
- Body styling
- Engine and transmission
- Aerodynamics
- Control systems
- Ergonomics
- Materials
- Safety

If any of you have interest in this then please do not hesitate contacting me either by posting a reply or ideally PM me your details.

Please remember that this is only in a very very early stage and so such a project may never become a reality, but with a team of engineers that have hopes and believes, anything can be achieved.

Many thanks for your time

Russ
Russell Harrison
Forced Convection Design Engineer, Comair Rotron Europe Ltd
CFD is based around assumptions; the accuracy of the solution depends not only on the knowledge of the mathematics behind the software but the assumptions the user makes!!!

ba-ketti
ba-ketti

Interesting concept... it reminds me of the Open Source community for Linux.

Any ideas on what kind of racecar this would be for? What kind of racing series? Is it purely for fun, or are you planning on building and selling it?

Mehmet
Mehmet

Re: Vehicle Development Project - Interests

hi there
it's a very nice project and i'll be so happy to join this teamwork.
i'll be so useful in the engine section
Hey
I'm the man :wink:

schumiGO

If you didn' know what to do

I can introduce my opinion if you want

riff_raff
riff_raff

open source design project

An open source design study sounds like fun, but I hope you don't expect to get rich from it. There's no money to be made in racing, and getting a road car into production requires astronomical financial resources.

Here's the old joke about racing and money:
Q: "Do you know how to make a small fortune in racing?"
A: "Start with a large one!"
Sad but true.

CFDruss
CFDruss

I agree, but its not just about making money, its about being part of a global team that will develop a road worthy vehicle. If it never reaches any production level, then at the minimum you are able to put it in your job experience and something that employer will look on as a very good project that has been based on masses of communication, something that industry can not survive with out.

Plus, it peoples passion, and developments may result from this that can be patented and become the teams designs.

I have Private Messaged everyone who has shown interest so if you have not recieved a PM then please let me know.

Huge huge thanks for all the interest
Russell Harrison
Forced Convection Design Engineer, Comair Rotron Europe Ltd
CFD is based around assumptions; the accuracy of the solution depends not only on the knowledge of the mathematics behind the software but the assumptions the user makes!!!

From working in race car design teams before i have found how difficult it is to get all designs integreated,m and thats with the designers in the same room. You have to implement alot of basic design protocols for this idea to work. You don't want people to be working from different design revisions. After all one has to remeber a race car is a whole package, and needs to be designed as one, not every area is going to be perfect, compromises must be made. The sign of a good engineer is one who makes the descision where, how much and why to make compromises in design.

Mr T

ScuderiaFerrariSean
ScuderiaFerrariSean

Currently what assistance are you still requesting?

superstirl
superstirl

Concept Car

is this the kind of car you are looking at designing/building?

http://www.caparo-t1.com/
BA Baracus is not black, the sun is just scared to shine on him.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

I'm interested if its still ongoing :?

johny

it could be fast and powerfull, but overall is very ugly

Ciro Pabón

Well, I am a road designer and a system developer, but have some experiencie with racetracks and car simulation (about 15 years). I would look for something more like the Lotus Seven.

I suggest to create:

- a specifications page
- a drawings page (with maybe a parts & costs subsection) and
- a collaboration software page.

Of course, I would be happy to simulate the "testing", as I suppose Maranello and Estoril are not available... :)
Ciro

mech_coen

Hi all,
I want to blow new life in this project so I've set up a forum for the project I want to redirect you to that place.
Because of a very buzzy schedule is Russ not in the oppertunity to go further with this project, I hope he'll have a say about it too..
So for the ones who are still interessed this is the adres http://www.phpbbserver.com/worldvehicledev, please register here if you're interessed

greets,

Coen
don't think about something you really want, think how to get there

Steven
Owner

Well there seems to be some interest here, but since CFDruss isn't available anymore, let's get it moving...

Anyway, what would you guys say to try to design an F1 car spec 2008? I think it would be an interesting project, and furthermore we might get some support from an AES engineer (experienced designer then).

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

OK, what do we do first, initial fix on some dimensions, engine size, wheelbase etc?