McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

McMrocks wrote:McLaren was in the last years always the team with a low nose. Maybe it is their way to build cars, but I would prefer to giving up this philosophy instead giving away some tenth.
Personally, I think they should be developing this philosophy like crazy, so that in 2014, they have a winner on their hands.

McMrocks
McMrocks

beelsebob wrote:
McMrocks wrote:McLaren was in the last years always the team with a low nose. Maybe it is their way to build cars, but I would prefer to giving up this philosophy instead giving away some tenth.
Personally, I think they should be developing this philosophy like crazy, so that in 2014, they have a winner on their hands.
2014 will be dominated by teams which found a loophole in the regulations 8) as ever when rules get changed. But the idea isn't that bad. I hope they don't neglect to develope the 2014's car in 2013, but I think they have learned it from 2009

astracrazy
astracrazy

am i right in thinking they don't alternate who designs each car any more? if so it will benefit them more

raymondu999

astracrazy wrote:am i right in thinking they don't alternate who designs each car any more? if so it will benefit them more
Well the guy they used to alternate with moved to Ferrari, so... yeah :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

raymondu999 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:am i right in thinking they don't alternate who designs each car any more? if so it will benefit them more
Well the guy they used to alternate with moved to Ferrari, so... yeah :lol:
ye i meant they havent replaced him.

raymondu999

They actually stopped the alternate year thing BEFORE Fry went to Ferrari.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

KATO

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Les- ... 53489.html

I don't speak the language or read it but it has MP4-28 and McLaren in their...

I can make out about 1% of it and I talks about the RedBull and McLaren. That the 2013 models are going to be evolutions of the 2012 cars.

My guess is probably true. I wish I could understand he whole whole article..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

McMrocks
McMrocks

KATO wrote: I can make out about 1% of it and I talks about the RedBull and McLaren. That the 2013 models are going to be evolutions of the 2012 cars.
this is probably not so bad. Red Bull and McLaren were the dominant teams at the end of this season. Why should they try something strange which maybe is a failure.

It is a speculation thread so: I speculate that McLaren will give the L-Sidepods a comeback. The exhaust exits where the Sidepod is low, with a ramp.

KATO

McMrocks wrote:
KATO wrote: I can make out about 1% of it and I talks about the RedBull and McLaren. That the 2013 models are going to be evolutions of the 2012 cars.
this is probably not so bad. Red Bull and McLaren were the dominant teams at the end of this season. Why should they try something strange which maybe is a failure.

It is a speculation thread so: I speculate that McLaren will give the L-Sidepods a comeback. The exhaust exits where the Sidepod is low, with a ramp.
The L shaped would change the dynamics of the AirFlow.... Would the desired Stream for the Coanda effect be strengthened can anyone with Aerodymanics knowledge give us their opinion on what the L shaped Sidepods + coanda exhausts would be a good mix??

I'm simply askin a question I don't know much about Aerodymanics I'm a young engineering student still haven't taken any classes that have to do with this.. So don't bust my chops...
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Raptor22
Raptor22

I am thinking that the 28 won't be all that outwardly different to the 27.

reason is the 27 was fast in its currnet configuration. Their achilles heel was reliability (gearbox) and team work (pitstops, )
Focus on these two areas alone would have yielded possibly 4 more wins than they achieved and poentially a real crack at the title.
The car is faster in a straight line than anything else and its seems to carry a lot of that speed through the corners. It needs more rear end mechanical grip to assit with faster corner exit. A lighter, smaller more realible gearbox would certainly assist here.
THye may adopt a side pod to diffuser tunnel aka RB8 which would require a new front wing and turning vanes.
I doubt wheel bse will change but they could use tighter packaging at the rear.
I do see potential to have an absolutely flat chassis top since their chassis line is already lower than other cars. This would assist with raising the nose cones leading edge, although I can't see it would offer much in terms of improved visibility for the driver.

Holm86

I dont think the coanda effect would work as good on L shaped sidepods.

On regular sidepods you use the top surface boundary layer to push down the exhaust gasses.

On an L shape sidepod most of the airflow runs through valley of the L hence not much air to force down the exhaust.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:I dont think the coanda effect would work as good on L shaped sidepods.

On regular sidepods you use the top surface boundary layer to push down the exhaust gasses.

On an L shape sidepod most of the airflow runs through valley of the L hence not much air to force down the exhaust.
Well, you're right to an extent, but bear in mind that both Ferrari and McLaren had U pods to en extent on their 2012 cars. Ferrari's were much more pronounced, McLaren still collected air in the same place, but seemed to be directing it outwards and over the coanda exhaust to assist with the downwash.

raymondu999

Yes, but generally you probably won't be able to achieve the same slope downwards towards the back with a U-pod.

In other news - I don't think they will, because one of the reasons they quoted for their reverting to a normal sidepod design was the exhaust in specific.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

raymondu999 wrote:Yes, but generally you probably won't be able to achieve the same slope downwards towards the back with a U-pod.

In other news - I don't think they will, because one of the reasons they quoted for their reverting to a normal sidepod design was the exhaust in specific.
Ya absolutely no chance to see different sidepods ...
High chassis & new front suspension is already a very very big change for them 8)

boyracer94
boyracer94

I don't see them needing to do anything too radical - they have a good base to work on