Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mika1
Mika1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

Raptor22 wrote:It is likely they have started on W04 as early as March.
Most teams start work on the car for next year as early as April of the current season. Even though they may have started earkier than everyone else, they have so many challenges to addres that I can't see a major turnaround. Even with a completely new car which whose technology would only be applicable for a single season, They have a conceptual and developmental problem back in Brackley.
With current testing being so limited they have very little time for experimentation to figure out whch concepts work and why.
with Costa having left Ferrari when they were in a design and engineering slump I'd hazard a guess that he was contributary to that slump, so I'm not going to be holdin gmy breath that they will have a major turnaround.

Where can they improve? Everywhere I guess. Nothing really worked consistently well did it, not even DDRS
Aldo Costa designed the Ferrari F2007 and F2008 with Tombazis, he has the skills to design a good car for Mercedes. Quit negativo-mode. This is a new season.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Raptor22
Raptor22

You nailed it! "WITH TOMBAZIS"

He is no longer working with Tombazis. IF he was a key member of the design team Ferrari would not have let him go.

user001
user001

i've read an article saying, that lotus was working on the seating position with kimi as early as about march/april. as i recall the aim was to find out a better line of sight and on which height the driver's seat has to be.

user001
user001

i'm very eager to know if they can finally solve the rear tyre and cooling problems.

Mika1
Mika1

Raptor22 wrote:You nailed it! "WITH TOMBAZIS"

He is no longer working with Tombazis. IF he was a key member of the design team Ferrari would not have let him go.
WRONG, we have seen what TOMBAZIS produced this year. A P8 car. He is lucky Alonso is such a good driver!

raymondu999

To be honest, looking at how the year progressed - I'd much rather be driving the F2012 than the W04.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mika1
Mika1

raymondu999 wrote:To be honest, looking at how the year progressed - I'd much rather be driving the F2012 than the W04.
Strange comment, we don't know how the W04 will perform.

Nando
Nando

Consistent podium finisher, red bull ramp exhaust, completely new design

i Think.

edit: pull rod front
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Mika1 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:To be honest, looking at how the year progressed - I'd much rather be driving the F2012 than the W04.
Strange comment, we don't know how the W04 will perform.
Towards season end - One car had racewinning race pace. The other didn't have points-winning race pace.

Late season Ferrari was more competitive than early season Mercedes, and early season Ferrari was more competiive than late season Mercedes too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Well they're already heading the W04 (2014) car with Willis, and from what I head the Engine development is well underway, but Mclaren's Whitmarsh had some contractual obligations meaning mclaren have say in the engine dev at Brixtworth. wasn't told the exact details.. but Daimler are trying to find a way to get him out of it

Cocles

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (Speculation)

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:John Owen is still the Chief Designer.
Can we get a confirmation on this somehow? I thought I read somewhere that this was no longer the case.

Cocles

Holm86 wrote:I dont understand how Mercedes has been able to produce such bad cars this past 3 years. They have a good budget and many good engineers. Every year its been like they have had trouble managing the tires. How hard can it be.
All three Mercs were evolutions of the BGP-001, a car built from the ground up to make maximum use of a double diffusor. Ever since the DD's were banned, the cars have never regained their rear downforce. I'm convinced Bigois was either unwilling, or unable to change the car enough to no longer need the DD. The DD could have simply been too fundamental to ever be fully rectified.

The answer of course is to dump the BGP-001 bloodline and build a brand new car entirely from scratch. Couple that with a brand new aerodynamicist and we might finally see a Merc that doesn't have problems with the rear tires.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Cocles wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:John Owen is still the Chief Designer.
Can we get a confirmation on this somehow? I thought I read somewhere that this was no longer the case.
I'm just gonna ask Merc lol.. you maybe right, apparently the "reshuffle" wasn't even reported properly by the media, all we know is Elliot IS Chief of Aero, Aldo's heading the 2013 Project, while Willis is heading the 2014 Project, and Bob Bell is still TD.
last I read was owen is still part of the team.
Will get back to you with an answer

Cocles

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:I'm just gonna ask Merc lol.. you maybe right, apparently the "reshuffle" wasn't even reported properly by the media, all we know is Elliot IS Chief of Aero, Aldo's heading the 2013 Project, while Willis is heading the 2014 Project, and Bob Bell is still TD.
last I read was owen is still part of the team.
Will get back to you with an answer
Sounds good. I seem to remember hearing that Owen was still with the team, but had been promoted sideways, so he wouldn't be as integral to the design of the car.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

sorry, here's the confirmation from Ross via Autosport
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98225/
"We have John Owen as chief designer, who is very talented, but needed some support."
Edit: incase you're wondering who he is..