Pikes Peak

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Sombrero
Sombrero

Pikes Peak 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qjjAed6TTc

Peugeot returns to Pike Peak ! June 30th 2013

http://www.leblogauto.com/2013/03/peuge ... -loeb.html

Driver : Sebastien Loeb
Car : Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
Sponsors : Total / Red Bull
Tyres : Michelin
Car number : #208

Cam

Re: Pikes Peak

very nice indeed.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Imo looks very primitive, I think they will (if they don't already have) develop the aero ! :)

neilbah
neilbah

i suppose at least peugeot are trying to re kindle their glory days in rally, they dropped the 208 R5 title on a lesser model after bowing to peer pressure from fans to revive the T16 badge along with their sporting colours. I wonder if itll see desert action as well?

Theres only 12 cars in this years unlimited class, the 208, a couple of rs200, a mini clubman and the rest i don't really recall but the list is on the pikes peak site. Im told altitude causes a fairly big drop in power between the start and finish & it has a pretty good safety record despite the scenery.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Yep I am doing a thesis on modifying a rally car to run at Pikes Peak and Peugeot's attempt must clearly not be their definitive version, otherwise it will not be very efficient! :D I think they have tried to "copy" the old 405 to attract people's interest (the french especially), and then they'll show an advanced version which will be quite different (hope for them).

Altitude difference is 1400m (top is at around 4300m), so yea a fairly significant amount of power (and downforce) loss !

neilbah
neilbah

i would expect more vertical fencing on the wings of the car, didnt the Escudo/monster have these. The rear wing is a bit conservative but the diffuser is huge, is it also effectively starting in the middle of the car? looking at the profile of the floor.... The front looks draggy but i guess the fences just force air over or under rather than around the car?. This is less a rally car and more a lmp floor from the look of it with a 208 shaped shell tacked on top, certainly more radical in terms of ground effect/less suspension travel than the 405 days when the track still had a loose surface, this is a tarmac racer.

wesley123
wesley123

First of all, it is based on the 208, so it has to retain the shape. Would be weird if the 208 won when looking nothing like the 208, that would sure confuse the people.

Also you have to think about drag, it isnt just "we bolt anything on to get max downforce and we see where it takes us." There isnt unlimited power that can cancel out all drag. I dont know how much power this car has but I doubt it is enough to just be able to bolt on whatever they got(like the Dallenbach). Also the Suzuki got 15 years of development in itself, together with development of the pre-Escudo. Their first car didnt have wings all over the place either.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

thisisatest
thisisatest

One would think they should attach wings at 45° angles to the side, since that's how they'll be going through the corners. Who knows, maybe it'll stall the wings when going straight, increasing straightline speed?

tarzoon

Being Loeb on the wheel in a full Tarmac climb, one can expect a lot

zonk
zonk

After last year's adventure with an electric car, Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima will be back behind the wheel of a heavily modified Toyota GT86.
Exact specifications are unknown, but there were reports that the car was equipped with a double-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that generates 670 hp and 809 Nm of torque. All-wheel drive is transmitted through six-stage sequential gearbox and the weight of the vehicle is 1080 kg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JOg8cQ2 ... dA&index=1[/youtube]

zonk
zonk

The car is powered by V6 petrol engine, which with the help of two turbochargers delivers an output of 875 hp

zonk
zonk

Last edited by zonk on 29 Apr 2013, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

flynfrog

zonk wrote:After last year's adventure with an electric car, Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima will be back behind the wheel of a heavily modified Toyota GT86.
Exact specifications are unknown, but there were reports that the car was equipped with a double-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that generates 670 hp and 809 Nm of torque. All-wheel drive is transmitted through six-stage sequential gearbox and the weight of the vehicle is 1080 kg
snip..
That is pretty down on power for a pikes peak unlimited car. Not counting last years winner. I think monsters Suzuki was pushing 1500 hp. The more power they have the more wing they can run.

Scorpaguy

Re the new PPHC Peugeot...IMHO one of best looking cars in awhile....breathtaking. I'd bet we see the car in WRC soon...as the French may want to rest the Citroen badge and let the lion roar for a time.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

Scorpaguy wrote:Re the new PPHC Peugeot...IMHO one of best looking cars in awhile....breathtaking. I'd bet we see the car in WRC soon...as the French may want to rest the Citroen badge and let the lion roar for a time.
Which is probably a signal of it being compromised for looks. When you want downforce, you want DOWNFORCE