Driver performance science

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Harvey
Harvey

Re: Driver performance sustainability

turbof1 wrote:I looked it up. Apparently caffeine WAS a prohibited substance until 2004. So it is legal since then.
Indeed. I just searched for it as well!

I vaguely remember some Premiership footballers being banned due to caffeine in the 90s.

turbof1

Harvey wrote:
turbof1 wrote:That problem has lessen somewhat; the minimum weight of the cars has gone up the last few years. That might still have an influence on the CoG but that will be only very minor

I also find it very hard to believe caffeine is a banned substance. So a cup of coffee is forbidden ?!?
Perhaps it is forbidden when more then a certain amount of it is the body?
It has the capability to enhance mental and physical performance, as well as being a diuretic. Why wouldn't it be banned in sports?
Well there are so many substances that do the same and are legal. Creatine is one of them. Salt is too, something which Armstrong used alot to evade doping check ups, if I heard it right
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:It has the capability to enhance mental and physical performance, as well as being a diuretic
Perhaps Kimi was using it as a diuretic in Brazil 06? :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

turbof1 wrote:Armstrong used alot to evade doping check ups, if I heard it right
It was even worse then that. He got caught several times but the doping agency let it fly everytime.
It was only after another agency re-examined everything that they found evidence for it.

This guy is interesting, he´ll give you an insight to the dark world of doping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Conte

http://vimeo.com/51662984
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

turbof1

Well atleast the FIA allows power steering. Without that I think we would see doping in F1.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

So riddle me this. Mark Webber, shoulder, broken, painkillers, 2010.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

yea because painkillers is performance enhancing.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

It's not performance enhancing, but some painkillers are not legal, within doping regulations

Some physicians do in fact consider painkillers as performance enhancing. While it doesn't make you stronger or faster, you can keep on coming for longer because you're not feeling the pain.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 04 Dec 2012, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Here's an article the Beeb ran a while back on painkiller taking as "legal doping" - http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18282072
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

With obvious parralels drawn between F1 and Aircraft pilots, it's been widely known and accepted that Fighter Pilots take speed, with all that strain on the body with Hi G's and the need for split second reactions times over 2 hours for race day, plus several practice and qualy sessions - how they don't need something needs to be clarified. Interesting that military actually says it's a 'safety' device - could F1 argue that drugs are as important as safety barriers etc?
Air force rushes to defend amphetamine use
As a hearing investigating two American fliers who bombed Canadian forces in Afghanistan entered a third day on Thursday, the air force summoned reporters to hear a pilot-surgeon extol the virtues of the practice of prescribing amphetamines for tired pilots.

"It is the gold standard for anti-fatigue," Colonel Peter Demitry, chief of the US Air Force surgeon-general's science and technology division, said outside the military warehouse where the hearing is being held. "We know that fatigue in aviation kills . . . This is a life-and-death insurance policy that saves lives."
So you're a military fighter pilot (drugs?)?
I am a former USAF fighter pilot flying the F-16. Yes, you can be administered a form of an amphetamine if you are involved in a long mission. We called them "Go Pills", and obviously, this is done under specific rules established and approved through the USAF and the Flt. Surgeons. It is not required, it is an option that is left to each individual crewmember. (The other side of the equation were the "no go" pills which were intended to help you sleep)
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

ParanoiD

turbof1 wrote:The sirup version of red bull? Never tried it; might get some these!

Anyway, it doubt it will have any benefits at all. Carefull control over the amount, kind and time of what you eat is much, much more important.
I always thought that kratingdaeng = red bull :shock:
Ay Carumba!

raymondu999

The Thai version of Krating Daeng (not sure about the Indonesian version) is a LOT stronger.

Some anecdotes:
Giblet wrote:We used to get cases of Thai Red Bull. It was thicker like a light syrop or liqueur, and was not carbonated. It came in a glass bottle like a flask.

If I drink a can of Red Bull, I can sleep if I want to. Doesn't do much more for me than coffee does. The Thai Red Bull kept me up all night, more than once.

Not sure of the recipe difference, or if the bottles were just more concentrated, but they were not the same thing to ingest, not even close.
gridwalker wrote:The Thai stuff was originally meant as the concentrated syrup for the draught machines that mixed it with carbonated water to produce something similar to what we get here. Unfortunately, nobody drank it like that and they ended up serving it straight.

That concentration level makes it dangerous for people with heart conditions and also rather addictive ...

As for the separation of the Thai and worldwide businesses, the Thai company holds the rights and he worldwide company produces their product under license (much like he global Coca Cola franchises).

I hope this clears things up!
she_spools_180 wrote:funny because bottle for can, they both contain the same amounts of caffeine and taurine, as has been indicated by my own research... (this involved comparing labels with nutritional information) perhaps it has a special ingredient that is not listed... :?:

the bottled stuff is more concentrated, because it contains the same amount of "stuff" in a smaller amount of liquid (bottle is 150ml and can is 250)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

Cam wrote:With obvious parralels drawn between F1 and Aircraft pilots, it's been widely known and accepted that Fighter Pilots take speed, with all that strain on the body with Hi G's and the need for split second reactions times over 2 hours for race day, plus several practice and qualy sessions - how they don't need something needs to be clarified. Interesting that military actually says it's a 'safety' device - could F1 argue that drugs are as important as safety barriers etc?
I doubt it, F1 drivers can get 8 hours of sleep every day. A fighter pilot flys as many times as hes needed, which may or may not leave time for trivial things like sleep in between.

timbo
timbo

Cam wrote:With obvious parralels drawn between F1 and Aircraft pilots, it's been widely known and accepted that Fighter Pilots take speed, with all that strain on the body with Hi G's and the need for split second reactions times over 2 hours for race day, plus several practice and qualy sessions - how they don't need something needs to be clarified. Interesting that military actually says it's a 'safety' device - could F1 argue that drugs are as important as safety barriers etc?
As Lycoming said there's differences -- F1 pilots operate under schedule, can have a good night rest and don't run for 10 hrs in a sleep-inducing conditions. The 'safety' side of the pills as pilots say is to prevent sleepiness.

Also, note this
You can get "stay-awakes" VOLUNTARILY under the STRICT supervision of a Flight Surgeon for certain missions. Once done with the mission though you are "Duty to Not Include Flying" for 24 hours IIRC.

ParanoiD

raymondu999 wrote:The Thai version of Krating Daeng (not sure about the Indonesian version) is a LOT stronger.
Due to the MoH regulation in different country? It is originated from Thai too right?
Ay Carumba!