2014 aero regs revert to 2012 regs

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
RobS
RobS

Re: 2014 aero regulations reversed?

So is this encompassing all the changes to wing sizes front and rear etc? its basically like saying the cars can stay exactly as is, just put the new engine in it.

If thats the case, how dissapointing, I was really looking forward to a shakeup, Lewis must be fuming as well, as with these current rules, the Mclaren is far quicker than the Mercedes, regardless of engine unit.

I was so looking forward to beasts with less downforce actually racing :(

N12ck

I am seriously dissapointed with this move, I was looking forward to the new aero regs shakeup, :(
Budding F1 Engineer

King Six
King Six

Am I the only one that was worried the cars would effectively be GP2 machines if they had gone through with the 2014 aero regulations. As it is GP2 machines were snapping away at the heels of the backmarkers of Formula One with the current rules. When you compare the budgets, it really is ridiculous.

This would have made things even worse. Unless they intentionally slowed down GP2 just to save face for Formula One, otherwise I would guess GP2 machines would be on pace or faster than nearly all the teams except perhaps Red Bull and a few other top dogs.

donskar
donskar

RobS wrote:So is this encompassing all the changes to wing sizes front and rear etc? its basically like saying the cars can stay exactly as is, just put the new engine in it.

If thats the case, how dissapointing, I was really looking forward to a shakeup, Lewis must be fuming as well, as with these current rules, the Mclaren is far quicker than the Mercedes, regardless of engine unit.

I was so looking forward to beasts with less downforce actually racing :(
What? You mean passing, with the lead decided on track rather than in the pits? Surely you jest? :wink:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Slife
Slife

2014 Aero to be 2012 aero spec after FIA meeting

http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-2012
2014 F1 Technical Regulations

A new draft with numerous changes was discussed and agreed by the F1 Technical Working Group and Powertrain Working Group.

The requirement for cars to be driven exclusively under electric power in the pit lane has been postponed until 2017.

A number of changes have been made to the power unit regulations with the aim of limiting technology in some areas in order to reduce development costs.

Changes made to bodywork design, originally aimed at reducing downforce and drag for increased efficiency, have reverted to 2012 specification.

The minimum weight limit has been raised to compensate for additional power unit weight.
Also DRS during pratice is only allowed in places where in it allowed in races.

FrukostScones

raymondu999 wrote:I'm quite saddened in a way. I think most teams will be practically converged on near-identical designs by then, meaning engine becomes THE performance differentiator.
No! More like the other way round. Aero stays the performance differentiator. I see Red Bull partying at the moment.

The "body" of the car will be different enough compared to today I think (airbox, engine, radiators, exhaust systems, kERS)...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wesley123
wesley123

No way that stays the same, as teams will come closer and closer to the 'optimum' of the rules. So the cars of teams will become more similar every year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FrukostScones

wesley123 wrote:No way that stays the same, as teams will come closer and closer to the 'optimum' of the rules. So the cars of teams will become more similar every year.
but if the engines are very different in power out put maybe we will have a good combo and a "good fitting" competition.
Red Bull gets the most out of the regs (they are still different, because the cars still changes a lot despite the comeback of 2012 aero) but Renault engine sucks than VET still can fight with the MAccas who will probably get both (aero and engine right).
the biggest loser is HAM. For the general audience the decision is maybe the best.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

heho07
heho07

Will engine development freezing be in place through 2014 season and after that?

McMrocks
McMrocks

I'm not sure what this change means.
1. The teams will reach the optimum, hence the engine becomes the performance differentiator according to raymondu
1.2 or RB will still be dominant
2. We will still need DRS to simulate racing
3. At the start of every GP at least one car will have a puncture
4. We will see the same teams at front as now (if the engine performance is almost equal)
5. We'll see faster lap times than with the previous rules for 2014
6. We will have these ***** high noses (my Opinion)
Last edited by McMrocks on 05 Dec 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

gato azul
gato azul

"interesting" development, sarcastically not completely unexpected.
now it remains to be seen, what will happen on the tyre (size) side of things,
at one point there was talk to move to a lower sidewall tyre (15-16" rims), but I
would not be surprised at all, if at the end of the day nothing changes, and we
will see more or less the same cars, with a different engine

Raptor22
Raptor22

heho07 wrote:Will engine development freezing be in place through 2014 season and after that?

I believe the intention is too allow the teams to develop the engines and technology with the aim of freezing development after a few seasons

Huntresa
Huntresa

2014 will still only have one exhaust exit will be intresting to see where they put that :D

Tim.Wright

After finally arriving at a formula that provides exciting racing (artificial or not is another argument) after the snorefest of the Schumacher championship years, it would be pretty silly now to just throw it all in the bin.

Pity though, I was looking forward to the look of the new cars...
Not the engineer at Force India

McMrocks
McMrocks

Maybe it is not the right thread but:
There is an increase in minimum weight to compensate for an increase in tyre weight for 2013.

does anyone know what is the new minimum weight? 660?

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... ATIONS.pdf
here it is still 640kg