McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa
Huntresa

Re: McLaren MP4-28

thestig84 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
Lurk wrote:Maybe "non-structural" should be understand as "nothing attached". Still, FW can be attached to nosecone and the panel extends further it.

Anyway McLaren didn't use this trick.
So we shouldnt Believe scarbs standing next to the car with his hands on it and saying they were using this trick ???
Err I think you need to watch the video again. He says nothing about this 'trick' or 'loophole' He is simply talking about Mclarens well talked about raised chassis compared to last year and the use of the vanity panel purely for looks/clean airflow. Look at the 28 again and the picture you seem to have convinced yourself is like the 28. Not remotely alike.
Ive never said its gonna be as straight and correct as scarbs picture, but its quite clear they have used that loophole, since adding the panel ontop they removed the same amount of structure under the nose as they added ontop. So under the car there is 7cm more space now. It doesnt rly matter if its straight or not at the front cause many teams even before this step rule didnt go straight but somewhat down at the front.

TL:DR They use the loophole to gain 7cm more under the car at the meeting of the monocoque then lower to the tip.

Edit: Which you can see if you compare the 2 pics scarbs posted in his post bout trends.

A step nose with just 7cm of panel added ontop

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... odesty.jpg

But the loophole or trick or w/e removes 7cm under evident by the 2nd pic.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... se_625.jpg

Open both and switch fast between them and you see what i mean and what they have done.
Last edited by Huntresa on 31 Jan 2013, 19:09, edited 2 times in total.

RicerDude

Look at the bulges on the top of the sidepods in the 3D model. They have smaller versions of the flow conditioners as seen on the *27.

Link to 3D model: http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/page/se ... d-personal

It also features the USA spec front wing.

KATO

I'm posting late but the car looks like pieces of different wings both front and rear from last year put together with different other bits.. I think we will see the actual car at Australia.. Because McLaren will surely hold back with everything so tightly packed you don't want to be copied who knows Allready Howmany cars this year will copy last years MP4-27 with the simple fact being that it was indeed the fastest at the beginning of year and at the end..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Lurk

Lurk wrote:Maybe "non-structural" should be understand as "nothing attached". Still, FW can be attached to nosecone and the panel extends further it.
Something like this
Huntresa wrote:
Lurk wrote:Anyway McLaren didn't use this trick.
So we shouldnt Believe scarbs standing next to the car with his hands on it and saying they were using this trick ???
The nose clearly goes down. If McLaren uses that trick (I didn't read yet what scarbs said about mp4-28), it is not to have higher nose as it is complies to intended regulation as-is.

Depends of how the panel is fixed to the cone but the trick could also be used to ease repairs.
Nosecone always ends by a "soft", non structural part which allows a quick repair (quicker than having to repair the crashbox). The cover panel can take that role. In case of damage, you just change the panel. So even easier than before.

2012 nosecone = crashbox + soft tip (the one that flexed on Vettel's car last year in Abu Dhabi)
2013 nosecone = crashbox + removeable panel.

scarbs
scarbs

No its just a modesty panel as per (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/01/30/an ... e_modesty/) Not the high nose workaround

Huntresa
Huntresa

Ok...

Huntresa
Huntresa

scarbs wrote:No its just a modesty panel as per (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/01/30/an ... e_modesty/) Not the high nose workaround
But didnt you in the video say they gained space under the nose, from that i thought you meant what i wrote ontop of this page.

stefan_
stefan_

Top view:

Clean side view
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

scarbs
scarbs

Huntresa wrote:
scarbs wrote:No its just a modesty panel as per (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/01/30/an ... e_modesty/) Not the high nose workaround
But didnt you in the video say they gained space under the nose, from that i thought you meant what i wrote ontop of this page.
More space under the raised section of chassis

King Six
King Six

Huntresa wrote:
They did gain space, compared to last year when they had a lower chassis. The modesty panel they used just covers up the step nose. It's just that they didn't go all the way with the flat ultra-high modesty panel that maximises the area underneath the car, but there's still more space underneath from the '27.

Apparently here's a picture of the McLaren nose on its own, Kravitz posted it but it has now been deleted. And Scarbs retweeted it lol and it's on Reddit too.

Last edited by King Six on 31 Jan 2013, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

They gained space by raising the chassis overall. Simply put they just applied the 2012 solution, and then put the vanity panel on it.

EDIT: ah damn, king six replied a second earlier. Anyway, the nosecone itself looks to have a particular shape. Is the panel going all around it?
Last edited by turbof1 on 31 Jan 2013, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

Huntresa
Huntresa

Yeah my mistake i misunderstood or rather mislooked where he was having his hands in the vide

turbof1

One thing is for sure: mclaren is not happy that that picture got leaked.
#AeroFrodo

siskue2005

allstaruk08 wrote:http://i45.tinypic.com/v3jbs3.jpg

the best side picture i could find was from india, i can see a lot of similarities is some areas but i think overall the shape of the main areas are very different which i didn't expect, obviously the monocoque is higher on the 28, the backbone of the engine cover looks tighter and finishes lower at the back of the car on the 28, the exhausts end in a very similar position and angle but the shape of the sidepods looks more defined on the 28, the sidepods also look like they start further back than they do on the 27 but it might be the bulge on the top edge that gives that effect and they might start in the same position. just my opinion on how i see the cars, so what do you all think?
here you go

King Six
King Six

turbof1 wrote:One thing is for sure: mclaren is not happy that that picture got leaked.
:D I love it, I didn't think we'd get to see a modesty panel car with the bare step nose so early on. I thought we'd have to wait for a crash or something at the least.