McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KATO

Re: McLaren MP4-28

turbof1 wrote:One thing is for sure: mclaren is not happy that that picture got leaked.
Maybe last year they didn't have a step nose but now they do... And teams can now gather from the picture how to use the Modesty panel or atleast lotus.. So they can have atleast one example abou what you can do with it.. Let alone all the technical reasons it gives you one example of how to use it..

Wow..... Not a good slip..

Can I add that's a kool way to use the Pull Rod and Modesty panel together..
King Six wrote: They did gain space, compared to last year when they had a lower chassis. The modesty panel they used just covers up the step nose. It's just that they didn't go all the way with the flat ultra-high modesty panel that maximises the area underneath the car, but there's still more space underneath from the '27.

Apparently here's a picture of the McLaren nose on its own, Kravitz posted it but it has now been deleted. And Scarbs retweeted it lol and it's on Reddit too.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

chepoi
chepoi

siskue2005 wrote:
allstaruk08 wrote:http://i45.tinypic.com/v3jbs3.jpg

the best side picture i could find was from india, i can see a lot of similarities is some areas but i think overall the shape of the main areas are very different which i didn't expect, obviously the monocoque is higher on the 28, the backbone of the engine cover looks tighter and finishes lower at the back of the car on the 28, the exhausts end in a very similar position and angle but the shape of the sidepods looks more defined on the 28, the sidepods also look like they start further back than they do on the 27 but it might be the bulge on the top edge that gives that effect and they might start in the same position. just my opinion on how i see the cars, so what do you all think?
here you go

there a similarity at the nose between MP4/28 with 26, 27 with 25.... may be with 2 different set of designer group.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Javert

I think it's an intelligent car

It's spectacular how they seem to have solved their problems (low chassis, ingumbrant rear) with such fashion ..
Let's hope they have not correlation or suspension problems :mrgreen:

thestig84
thestig84

Huntresa wrote:Yeah my mistake i misunderstood or rather mislooked where he was having his hands in the vide
Thank you. I was struggling to see where you were getting that from.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

turbof1 wrote:One thing is for sure: mclaren is not happy that that picture got leaked.
I don't see why. Nothing innovative leaked, that's pretty how all modesty panel noses are going to look.

amouzouris

To clear things up!
This is McLaren's nosecone and modesty panel:

And this is my take on Scarbs' suggestion:

EDIT: I know this will sound cocky but when i saw the photo from inside the cockpit looking over the survival cell and i said that the mp4-28 would definitely have a high nose and people attacked me saying how could i possibly know from that photo....i have been drawing cars for quite a while now so my eye is 'trained'...
Last edited by amouzouris on 31 Jan 2013, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

That's off. The top blue line should be a level surface.

The top surface of that "leaked" nose cone will be at 90 degrees to the mounting points on the nose.

amouzouris

Diesel wrote:That's off. The top blue line should be a level surface.

The top surface of that "leaked" nose cone will be at 90 degrees to the mounting points on the nose.
It is a level surface...its as level as it gets...

the car is raked...so it is at 90 degrees to the mounting points on the survival cell
Last edited by amouzouris on 31 Jan 2013, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Nice work amouzouris. it confirms my suspitions that mclaren constructed their chassis in such a way that they still can raise the height of the nose.
#AeroFrodo

siskue2005

interactive comparisons between this year and last year's Mclaren
http://www.marca.com/2013/01/31/multime ... 43880.html

RicerDude

MP4-28 with flow conditioners and USA spec front wing.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I have to wonder... Is the bulge travelling all the way across the nose there because they're channeling air around inside the nose, or is it just structural. Moving air around somehow like that could explain why McLaren don't want it shown.

Blackout

A very Lotus E20ish feature (red rectangle): Image

Question is; did they add it just to meet the rules and hide the sidepod's ''kink'' (the rule that say someting like: no bodywork part exept the mirrors can be seen when you look at the car from underneath) or did they add it first to improve airflow in that area then added the upper sidepod lip ''kink'' later ?
Last edited by Blackout on 31 Jan 2013, 21:35, edited 2 times in total.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

beelsebob wrote:I have to wonder... Is the bulge travelling all the way across the nose there because they're channeling air around inside the nose, or is it just structural. Moving air around somehow like that could explain why McLaren don't want it shown.
The bulge on the side, nearly level with the step? if so, it looks like a reflection to me, the photo have been taken through glass.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Only took roughly 8 hours for a reflections to come to the McLaren car thread :P

If you follow the lines you should see that it's just a reflection on the glass.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)