McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gary123

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

i would like to understand why mclaren used for the most of the tests hard e supersoft tyres??

Jackles-UK

gary123 wrote:i would like to understand why mclaren used for the most of the tests hard e supersoft tyres??
Remember that for 2013 the hard tyres are marked orange not silver. The reason being that the super-soft and hard will never be at the same race weekend in tandem (although it may cause a few crossed wires in testing!). It looks like the majority of McLaren's runs were on the hard tyres as is customary early on in testing to get as many laps under their belts as soon as possible.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 14205.html

FrukostScones

McLaren's new approach takes time

The new McLaren MP4-28 parked a lot and for long behind closed garage doors. "The car is so new that we have to learn from scratch. It feels completely different. Some aspects of these are good, some not so. We must now sort out the bad of it," admitted Jenson Button. At least he gave hope: "We have a good base on which we can build on. The new car is still slower than the old one, but the new approach gives us more room for development..."
With 299 rounds McLaren was behind its expectations. Button: "In our case, you need every lap."

At Red Bull, one wonders that McLaren took high technical risks... "At the end of the season they had the fastest car."
:shock:

sauce, AMUS testing analysis of all cars:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 29505.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

turbof1

Euh?
-Removal of beam wing
-Smaller FW
-Shallower RW
-Lower nose

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... _20.07.pdf

Those aren't new rules?? They only dropped the stricter bodywork rules.

So please give us instead a break.
#AeroFrodo

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

turbof1 wrote:Euh?
-Removal of beam wing
-Smaller FW
-Shallower RW
-Lower nose

Yes those rules were dropped.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 111212.pdf
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

the EDGE
the EDGE

mclaren_mircea wrote:I forgot to mention about the constant understeer that mp4-28 is having through the corners. Gary Anderson said that mp4-28 had more understeer than any other car that was present in Jerez. Sam Michael said that because of the new tyres, but they were not the only ones with the new tyres. Cand be another problem to hamper Mclaren's form in the early stages?

My question after this thoughts is what do you believe, after you saw and read about this tests: is the Ferrari faster than Mclaren mp4-28? I know that this test was not really relevant, but I want a first impression, a first taste about mp4-28 compared to F138. Thanks

P.S Don't give me negative votes for posting the message here, but I thought that it it related with technical aspects of the car (mp4-28). :(

Strange...I can't hear Gary Anderson say anything of the sort...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21377388

and Jerez is just shake-down, nobody's even got their new aero packages on the cars yet, only someone new 2 F1 would try to judge performance before Barcelona 2. Some cars like Mclaren are all new and others like Redbull are just carry-over so obviously there will be a difference in the test programmes at this early stage too

this also makes for some interesting reading

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/02/a ... t-of-2013/
Last edited by the EDGE on 11 Feb 2013, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

Is there a way to downvote an entire page of posts at once?

turbof1

Owen.C93 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Euh?
-Removal of beam wing
-Smaller FW
-Shallower RW
-Lower nose

Yes those rules were dropped.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 111212.pdf
No they are not. I'll take one example from the same pdf you posted:

"15.4.3 An impact absorbing structure must be fitted in front of the survival cell. This structure need
not be an integral part of the survival cell but must be solidly attached to it.
It must have a minimum external cross section, in horizontal projection, of 9000mm² at a
point 50mm behind its forward-most point. Furthermore :
a) No part of this cross-section may lie more than 500mm above the reference plane.
b) The centre of area of this section must be no more than 185mm above the reference
plane.
c) No part of this section may be more than 50mm below its centre of area."
This effectively lowers the nose alot. centre of area must be at most 185mm, you can play a little bit pehaps with the area then, but the bodywork can't go any lower then 50mm under the COA, meaning you will be stuck with 50mm above the COA. Current nosetips are at max 550 mm.
You can read more about it here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=105

Short story: old 2014 rules still pulling through.
#AeroFrodo

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Oh, my mistake. That press release was pretty misleading lol.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Normally I find the rules on this site a bit heavy-handed, but Jesus, that's a lot of bullshit at once in here.

As for the AMuS report, McLaren's official explanation was that they felt they would run out of improvements halfway through the season if they had stuck with last year's design.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Red Schneider wrote:Normally I find the rules on this site a bit heavy-handed, but Jesus, that's a lot of bullshit at once in here.

As for the AMuS report, McLaren's official explanation was that they felt they would run out of improvements halfway through the season if they had stuck with last year's design.
I expect almost all teams to swap full time development on 2014 by around that time, anyway. This feels like a lot of wasted effort on their part, maybe not if they are dominant and win championships.

chumma
chumma

I don't see why they felt the need to change to a pullrod front only for it to be scrapped at the end of this year again,, seems like they were fine with the pushrod, knew the ins and outs of it, and didn't need to take such a risk on a big mechanical element of the car? I dunno, but thats the first time I've ever seen those words come from Button, contradicts what Martin said, he said the car is already a full second faster than last year, and now button says its not as fast yet....doesn't add up.

Richard
Richard

Delirious fanboy wrote:Some silly fanboy posts
Pup wrote:Is there a way to downvote an entire page of posts at once?
Red Schneider wrote:Normally I find the rules on this site a bit heavy-handed, but Jesus, that's a lot of bullshit at once in here.
n smikle wrote:Meet me in the driver ying yang thread please.
I have my ways 8)

Javert

mclaren_mircea wrote:I forgot to mention about the constant understeer that mp4-28 is having through the corners. Gary Anderson said that mp4-28 had more understeer than any other car that was present in Jerez.
I think understeer was a project target as (some of us debated that) last season proved how much Hamilton was good in understeer and this car was designed around him.
Perez also likes understeer and, in a minor way, Button, so no way to despair

Understeer could also be a sign of good rear downforce while lacking a bit of front downforce. Maybe their "new" front wing design is not as good with a such high chassis and they can go for something different; and also search front downforce in brake ducts

We can also say that this year's debut was better than last year, with Hamilton complaining about MP4-27 speed out of the box, which they sorted out in Spain.

Even admitting they could have still less rear downforce than Interlagos MP4-27, they have larger development scope to avoid "black holes" (from Bahrain till Silverstone, except Canada; and from Japan to India) that hurted them this year. While being 0.5s faster in Australia, they were 0.5s behind in Bahrain; so starting well do not mean really anything (RB8 say anything?)

I doubt this year they will have to remove the snowplough, let the nose higher, completely rework sidepods, like they have done last year;
as the general concept seems to be right
So they can work only on raw performance!

Thunder

AMuS said Macca will bring a new Front Wing to Barcelona. Maybe that cures the Understeering to a level where the Drivers are more comfortable with.

Oh and did Mercedes say anything about the Fuel Pump Failure on Jerez Day One ? I really hope they can sort this out, this cost too many Races already.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum