McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
R_Redding
R_Redding

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

wesley123 wrote:
gibells wrote:They're at it too- blowing the beam wing.
what???
http://i.imgur.com/61fQS9P.jpg

Look on either side on the monkey seat on the trailing edge of the beam wing... You can see a perforation ...where presumably they are blowing air.

Rob

beelsebob
beelsebob

All I see on the trailing edge of the beam wing is a gurney flap.

Unc1e_M0nty

R_Redding wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
gibells wrote:They're at it too- blowing the beam wing.
what???
http://i.imgur.com/61fQS9P.jpg

Look on either side on the monkey seat on the trailing edge of the beam wing... You can see a perforation ...where presumably they are blowing air.

Rob
They look like perforations at first untill you blow it up, the holes are like gaps in a zig zag pattern, maybe some way of fixing / attaching the gurney flap as mentioned above.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It simply is the gurney tab.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

R_Redding
R_Redding

Owen.C93 wrote:It simply is the gurney tab.
Yep..Your right.... A right anged one ...and its the CF pattern that make it look perforated.

And they haven't changed the route of the hydraulics for the RW DRS either..which last year routed through the swan neck mount into either side of the beam wing.

I havent seen any photos of the beam wing utilising a Gurney before..

Rob
Last edited by R_Redding on 14 Mar 2013, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

What's up with the 'w' profile on the ends of main element...

wesley123
wesley123

Do you mean the bulge at the end plate in the main profile?

I'm not such a fan of this wording but it seems like it is an area for piping for something, could be for DRS. Last year they had something similar, but I dont know what it was
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

Yes, that's it. I wouldn't think they''d need that much space for DRS activation - I'd think that at most that's just a small hydraulic hose.

But yes, it does look more like a bump on closer inspection.

And it's on both sides...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's to exploit the freezone allowed in the end plate thickness. By making the end plates paper thin you can gain some regulation free area at the end of the wing allowing multiple elements which is useful on the yaw sensitive edges.

Most teams do it but that bulge allows for a little more or a "scoop" with no hard edges.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gibells
gibells

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:
R_Redding wrote: http://i.imgur.com/61fQS9P.jpg

Rob
They look like perforations at first untill you blow it up, the holes are like gaps in a zig zag pattern, maybe some way of fixing / attaching the gurney flap as mentioned above.
I meant the curved pipe looking thing that looks like it may be feeding into the centre of the beam. I've seen that on the Lotus and the Redbull. If it's not feeding air into the wing, then what is it doing?

R_Redding
R_Redding

gibells wrote:
Unc1e_M0nty wrote:
R_Redding wrote: http://i.imgur.com/61fQS9P.jpg

Rob
I meant the curved pipe looking thing that looks like it may be feeding into the centre of the beam. I've seen that on the Lotus and the Redbull. If it's not feeding air into the wing, then what is it doing?
from my post above..

"And they haven't changed the route of the hydraulics for the RW DRS either..which last year routed through the swan neck mount into either side of the beam wing."
You can see the two pipes for the double acting cylinder that operates the open/shut on the DRS.
Rob

stefan_
stefan_

F1Zone.net ‏@f1zone
Whitmarsh: "Our car appears to be lacking in grip and consistency, and is suffering from significant understeer and poor ride"
Well, that's almost the whole car not functioning well.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Sounds like they don't have a full understanding on the pull-rod front. Very similar to Ferrari last year.

Shame though. Another Red Bull runaway this year.

Shakeman

From Adam Cooper's blog,

Button:
“I think a racing driver will always say they want more grip, they want more downforce, it’s always the way. There are a few other issues that we need to solve before we start worrying about that, and one of them is definitely ride.

“It’s something we’ve been struggling with today, the front and rear of the car. We’ve been working with a lot today to try and improve it, we haven’t found something that’s helped yet.

“The ride is so important with an F1 car, if the car is moving around a lot, the downforce is not necessarily working in the correct manner. We’ve got to get the ride sorted."

So what is the problem with the "ride"? What exactly is he complaining about, is the suspension too stiff and noncompliant? I can't believe they've gone even stiffer?

Ride quality is obviously an umbrella term for a lot of factors but if anyone here can help understanding the McLaren ride issues I'd be most interested.