McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
foxivan
foxivan

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

one very is interesting is the car's pace in the wet is much better than in the dry, and Button was the fastest with the Intermediate tyres in FP2 today. Also I noticed he was the 1st to pit in Melbourne. Makes it wonder if the car actually overheats the tyres, which in turn increases tyres wear in the dry, and coincidentally hits the sweet spots on the inters.

Neno
Neno

foxivan wrote:one very is interesting is the car's pace in the wet is much better than in the dry, and Button was the fastest with the Intermediate tyres in FP2 today. Also I noticed he was the 1st to pit in Melbourne. Makes it wonder if the car actually overheats the tyres, which in turn increases tyres wear in the dry, and coincidentally hits the sweet spots on the inters.
same thing happend ferrari on same exact track. it was visible in race, ferrari was nowhere on dry track but when rain hit the track, and conditions changed, ferrari was fastest in race, mostly because increased tyre's wear, their tyer's started working optimal and better then rest of grid, what leaded to win race ofcourse.

only one reason for this: pull-rod

kebab
kebab

ringo wrote:
kebab wrote:The car seems to have nice flow to the coke-bottle area which should mean good DF at the rear. Maybe the rear tire issue is mechanical related rather than aero!?
Not in my opinion. The shoulder of the sidepod where the exhaust hangs over a bit is too rounded and too close to the floor.
That's where your lift could be coming from. They need a sidepod revision i think.
If that's the case then they seem to have similar issue with Ferrari this time last year with the Acer duct but then it would be strangle as Macca has been running with this kind of sidepod last year. The shoulder is just a bit longer and if that alone can cause problem then their CFD should have told them so.

Pup
Pup

ringo wrote:Not in my opinion. The shoulder of the sidepod where the exhaust hangs over a bit is too rounded and too close to the floor.
That's where your lift could be coming from. They need a sidepod revision i think.
I agree. In fact all the round bits on the car are a bit too round and all the close bits a bit too close.

Shakeman

Coefficient wrote:
kebab wrote:The car seems to have nice flow to the coke-bottle area which should mean good DF at the rear. Maybe the rear tire issue is mechanical related rather than aero!?

The Diffuser ramp looks to be creating lift to me looking at the pressure change indicated by the flow vis when comparing the flow over the flat part of the floor and the flow over the ramped part to the rear.
Can you explain that a little further please? What changes in the flow vis indicate a surface creating lift? Cheers

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Gary Anderson seems to think it is a front wing issue.

I'm not convinced though.

What I am surprised about is that Macca does not seem to have learnt anything from the Ferrari mistakes last yeat

CjC
CjC

JimClarkFan wrote:Gary Anderson seems to think it is a front wing issue.

I'm not convinced though.

What I am surprised about is that Macca does not seem to have learnt anything from the Ferrari mistakes last yeat
I concur, not disrespect to Gary Anderson but smashing aload of angle on the front wing won't vault mclaren into a lotus beater, ted kravits from sky said that mclaren have less angle on to make the ride quality better, kinda makes sense, more angle- more downforce- the front of the car near the drivers arse gets closer to the ground- more bottoming you get
Just a fan's point of view

Shakeman

Button said last week they couldn't dial out the under steer on the front without washing out the rear DF. Hence they have a tiny setup window as any adjustment at the front negatively impacts the rear.

I can't find the source ATM still looking.

Pup
Pup

Which means a wing problem. Which is exactly what one would expect. And much to the apparent consternation of this forum, is exactly what everyone who is in a position to know anything about anything is saying it is.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123
wesley123

Pup wrote:Which means a wing problem. Which is exactly what one would expect. And much to the apparent consternation of this forum, is exactly what everyone who is in a position to know anything about anything is saying it is.
Not necessarily, but makes it more likely.

It could also be with the floor, with less front ride height there is more rake and maybe that is giving them problems.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dren

Yes, they were the only team to stick with a lower nose for the start of last season. This new high nose is new to them. All of that extra air below the nose might be causing them problems further back. The balance doesn't seem to be there. They are expecting lots of potential, but aren't getting it yet. Not sure if that is down to just set-up or if they need some changes.
Honda!

raymondu999

Don't shoot the messenger.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBRcpeL11s[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

So is it possible that running a higher AOC of the inner front wing is causing the rest of the airflow behind it to stall and thus deduce overall downforce?

Glyn
Glyn

raymondu999 wrote:Don't shoot the messenger.
Mclaren need more MAXIMUM ANGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!