Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: Ferrari F138

I am at the GP (suck it) and i have noticed the Ferrari has a very distinctive off throttle rumble, much deeper and prolonged than the other cars.

I have taken video of the car through the first corner complex, and will upload in due course.

This leads me to believe that Ferrari have something tricky going on. When compared to the field, Red bull and Ferrari certainly stand out in terms of traction and stability off the apex.

Anybody else notice this?
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

amouzouris

Robbobnob wrote:I am at the GP (suck it) and i have noticed the Ferrari has a very distinctive off throttle rumble, much deeper and prolonged than the other cars.

I have taken video of the car through the first corner complex, and will upload in due course.

This leads me to believe that Ferrari have something tricky going on. When compared to the field, Red bull and Ferrari certainly stand out in terms of traction and stability off the apex.

Brundle did! ( I mean the stability and speed of the cars )

jonaliew
jonaliew

Robbobnob wrote:I am at the GP (suck it) and i have noticed the Ferrari has a very distinctive off throttle rumble, much deeper and prolonged than the other cars.

I did. I was wondering whether my ears were kidding me.

Which zone you at Robbo? PM me and we could do an f1technical meet :lol: Anyone else?

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

jonaliew wrote:

I did. I was wondering whether my ears were kidding me.

Which zone you at Robbo? PM me and we could do an f1technical meet :lol: Anyone else?
Please guys take lots of and vids and share with us......would be like we have our own reporters at the track. :wink: ....would be awesome to read your thoughts

thanks in advance

F1.Ru

Ferrari F138 - bodied driveshaft
ImageImage

The bodied driveshaft is another F1 trend set by Red Bull's Adrian Newey in 2012 and followed by all the top teams - including Ferrari - for 2013. The rules allow for wing profiles (of a limited size and length-thickness ratio) on suspension arms, but not the driveshaft. What Newey did was cleverly locate the key suspension components, with the driveshaft between them, on the same plane. More importantly, they were close enough together that a wing profile for the suspension components could also - legally - cover the driveshaft. The upper half of this drawing shows a longitudinal cross section of the rear end of the new Ferrari. The upper red arrow shows the shape of the wing profile, with the driveshaft near its centre. The lower red arrow indicates its actual location, with one end of the profile covering the wishbone mounting point (1) and the other end covering the trackrod mounting point (2). Note that Ferrari have mounted the rear suspension on a subframe on the rear of the engine (3), rather than directly to the gearbox. The lower half of the drawing shows the positioning of the wing profile from an overhead perspective.

Ferrari F138 - duct under nose section
ImageImage

Like Sauber and Red Bull, Ferrari's new car, the F138, has a duct underneath the nose section of the chassis. But unlike Sauber and Red Bull, Ferrari do not have a further hole on top of the chassis. The destination of the air going into the duct is unclear. The official answer is to cool the cockpit, but the duct could have other functions - it could be used to cool the car's electronics and/or to improve the quality of the airflow in the lower section of the chassis, even though the air doesn't then exit through the top of the nose like it does on Sauber's C32 and Red Bull's RB9.

©Formula1.com
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Kalsi
Kalsi

FP1 : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy7qx4 ... UMEKRxhXyo
FP2 : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy7uq3 ... UMH1RxhXyo

By looking at those 2 videos, expecially the first one within the last 3 corners, you can see how the car is VERY responsively to steering inputs.... a thing that fits very well both Alonso's and Massa's driving styles...

Other things i notice from them are:
1- A higher max speed compared to other teams (you can see some other videos too from RBR and MERC in the site)
2- Very good cornering speed (both enter and exit) and traction
3- Suspensions seems responding very well over the kerbs
4- Hard and long off-Throttle downshifting sound

Could this nice looking cornering ability of the f138 be due to the "new" suspensions geometry rework of the front Pull Rod?
Can this be the same answer to the question: "Why is Mclaren in trouble?" known the fact they went to a front Pull Rod too and maybe still not being able to understand it?
In this video you can see how hard is for Button to keep the car in the apex... (look at the speeds)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy7pwn ... UMKxxxhXyo

F1.Ru

Some Pics from Australian GP Practices -------

© Formula1.com & Sutton Images
Last edited by F1.Ru on 15 Mar 2013, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

F1.Ru

Yup i know but i just wanted to pressed the preview button where actually pressed the submit button, sorrry ....... :oops:

But now got all right ................ :lol: Nd BTW amou ur new article is awesome like always .......... keep doing it mate =D>

Crabbia
Crabbia

Massa and Alonso where using different engine covers:

A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

amouzouris

F1.Ru wrote:
Yup i know but i just wanted to pressed the preview button where actually pressed the submit button, sorrry ....... :oops:

But now got all right ................ :lol: Nd BTW amou ur new article is awesome like always .......... keep doing it mate =D>
Thank you! :D

f1316
f1316

I think Ferrari, more than any other team, are still testing new parts and configurations.

For example, no matter what that shark mouth does, I cannot understand what purpose there would be in closing it off unless it was in order to isolate the effect of other components. If it was 100% for cooling, maybe, but if it has any boundary layer benefit, why close it?

Similarly the engine cover - they're obviously still assessing the Melbourne package and I think most other cars are already in full spec.

luicchi
luicchi

f1316 wrote:I think Ferrari, more than any other team, are still testing new parts and configurations.

For example, no matter what that shark mouth does, I cannot understand what purpose there would be in closing it off unless it was in order to isolate the effect of other components. If it was 100% for cooling, maybe, but if it has any boundary layer benefit, why close it?

Similarly the engine cover - they're obviously still assessing the Melbourne package and I think most other cars are already in full spec.
Ferrari are not that far from RedBull ....Tomorrow and in race we will see it better!!!

stefan_
stefan_

Australia - FP 2 (15.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Mr.G

Hi I have few questions due to the first wideo

in 01:20 what is he doing with the left hand?
and in 01:40 is he correcting his car or is he sandbagging? His is going almost straight and then he twist the wheel.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts