Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spacepace

Re: Ferrari F138

Crabbia wrote:Does anyone know what purpose or function the RW endplate slats serve?

Taking a stab at it I guess it would be making the effective length of the endplate itself less. So the flow "sees" the RW ending wear the slats start but for the purposes of the rules the RW endplate length includes the slats.

the shorter the endplate the better as i recall. When the new rules came in defining the length of the RW endplates be larger (for sponsorship purposes) i remember people saying that it makes the RW less efficient.

Can anyone give more information on this?
They're trying to get the airflow around the tyres and expand the diffuser in doing so.

wesley123
wesley123

The full height slats are to enhance low pressure in between the end plates, lower down they reduce drag by sending air in the wake of the rear wheels.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Spacepace

wesley123 wrote:The full height slats are to enhance low pressure in between the end plates, lower down they reduce drag by sending air in the wake of the rear wheels.
Oh yeah I see it now. Makes sense

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

donskar wrote:That photo of the rear of the F138 is incredible! PABLOEING, is that really unretouched???

IF they do not need to make modifications for cooling or other purposes they are off to a great start! And Byrne calls this "child's play"?
I wouldn't be so excited yet, testing times or appearances mean nothing until the season starts. We need to see the first few races in order to even start judging what the levels of performance will be for Ferrari or any others. After 5 championship-less seasons I'm a little tired of getting my hopes up after a "promising" test session. :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Shrieker

That exhaust port/ rear end section photo of the F138 is just fantastic. It looks very, very refined. I'd love to have seen something like that from Mercedes...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Forza

Jerez- day 2
Ferrari doing some aero runs

.poz
.poz

Something different from yesterday

maybe it's just the package for hot races

Dream Theater

Massa said that they had some cooling issues yesterday, (however, nothing to be concerned about), so I think it's absolutely normal that the team is trying some different cooling solutions.

munudeges
munudeges

Shrieker wrote:That exhaust port/ rear end section photo of the F138 is just fantastic. It looks very, very refined.
It's certainly a world away from what they had last season. The only thing that should trip them up is whether they're going down the right route.
I'd love to have seen something like that from Mercedes...
I fear that might be a forlorn hope.....

Gilles 27

Shrieker wrote:That exhaust port/ rear end section photo of the F138 is just fantastic. It looks very, very refined. I'd love to have seen something like that from Mercedes...
I Agree, that let me remember of the season 1990 when Ferrari with designed one of the, imho, best Monoposto from Maranello the 641/2!
Scalabroni designed ed evolved only the details of the 640 from Barnard (fired!) and it was looking so great and accurate in any details of the Car.
Something like this year with the F138, the F2012 wasn't look rafinate and many parts looks like bad and improvised patch work. But this car here looks like one piece, well designed i appreciate the cocacola section under the exhaust and finaly a big step forward on the back. Only Williams have so big place on the floor :) i hope this car doesn't look only great but can fight with RB & McL too.

siskue2005

PABLOEING wrote:In this photo ( digital work)....you can see better the AMAZING REAR of the F138.......incredible work in this car.

Fantastic details, really impressive back end, it is slimmer than RBR's rear end

.poz
.poz

twitter from Ferrari

Pausa pranzo per la squadra e per @Felipe1Massa. La sessione pomeridiana continuerà con lo studio di diversi terminali di scarico.

Translation: lunch break for team and Massa. The afternoon session will continue with the study of different exhaust solutions

enz0
enz0

.poz wrote:twitter from Ferrari

Pausa pranzo per la squadra e per @Felipe1Massa. La sessione pomeridiana continuerà con lo studio di diversi terminali di scarico.

Translation: lunch break for team and Massa. The afternoon session will continue with the study of different exhaust solutions
Sorta reminds me of the F2012 when they had those woes in testing, I just hope this time they are looking for an advantage. not something to close the gap.

Spankyham

I suppose this is some sort of monitoring item, but what specifically?

"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Raptor22
Raptor22

A lot of the rear tightness is due to the lack of the large cooling exit ahead of the Monkey seat..
They appear to have finally got to a tight rear end that Seb may tell Fonso " I see you've got Kylie now..."

This is the best looking Ferrari since the F2004