Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari F138

Apparently the hole was planned long in advance.

Abarth

Could the hole be a cooling air inlet which will be used only in hotter races, and if not needed they can cover it elegantly?

Or, alternatively, an air channel to feed the central part of diffusor, similar to what RB does, but sucking the air from the front and not from the rear part of the sidepods?

Consider&Go
Consider&Go

timbo wrote:Apparently the hole was planned long in advance.
Do you have a source please?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

radosav
radosav

What if this hole is used for taking humidity from air! Is it possible to use water as balast in car ? So after the race start you evaporate water from balast tanks and during last 15 laps you collect it back from air? It could work in Malaysia! Please don't give me negative votes !

turbof1

Consider&Go wrote:
He does not have to. You can clearly see it's built into the chassis. It's takes alot of time to develop a chassis that a strong enough to survive the crash test, yet still have that big hole there.

I was also wondering, with the front bulkhead having tightly regulated and standarised dimensions, how thin the actual nose would have to be? They need to leave enough room beneath the nose for air to reach the hole, yet can't go higher then 550mm.
#AeroFrodo

aral
aral

radosav wrote:What if this hole is used for taking humidity from air! Is it possible to use water as balast in car ? So after the race start you evaporate water from balast tanks and during last 15 laps you collect it back from air? It could work in Malaysia! Please don't give me negative votes !
OK, I wont give you a negative vote, but that certainly deserves one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

scuderiaF2012
scuderiaF2012

gilgen wrote:
radosav wrote:What if this hole is used for taking humidity from air! Is it possible to use water as balast in car ? So after the race start you evaporate water from balast tanks and during last 15 laps you collect it back from air? It could work in Malaysia! Please don't give me negative votes !

i think that is the dumbest explination i have ever heard... :lol:

turbof1

He is atleast trying; I find it more useful then the 2 posts above me.
#AeroFrodo

Mr.G

radosav wrote:What if this hole is used for taking humidity from air! ...
I think it will be used for airodynamical purpouses. Going under the driver to the rear of the car.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Crabbia
Crabbia

Mr.G wrote:
I think it will be used for airodynamical purpouses. Going under the driver to the rear of the car.
this might be even more ridiculous and get me down voted but what it it flows the other way. what if the hole we see works as a venturi with air flowing past it and pulling air out of the duct? and air is sucked from the cockpit underneath the car?

only reason i think this is having the air flowing through the duct and out the cockpit opening is useless.

having the air flowing to the rear of the car requires ducts in an area of the car where space is a premium.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

turbof1

Crabbia wrote:
Mr.G wrote:
this might be even more ridiculous and get me down voted but what it it flows the other way. what if the hole we see works as a venturi with air flowing past it and pulling air out of the duct? and air is sucked from the cockpit underneath the car?

only reason i think this is having the air flowing through the duct and out the cockpit opening is useless.

having the air flowing to the rear of the car requires ducts in an area of the car where space is a premium.
Do not forget mercedes succeeded in laying down pipes from the rear to the front, and if atleast one part of the car last year was positive, then it was their sidepods. They packaged their car very well with the pipes; ferrari should be able to do the same.

Perhaps we have yet to see to where it leads? Ferrari. Might have opted to use the first testing week to examine the effects of having a hole there and will only put the exit of it at a later stage.
#AeroFrodo

scuderiaF2012
scuderiaF2012

Crabbia wrote:
Mr.G wrote:

i think it would work if the car would be driven in REVERSE....lol...all jokes aside the intake we saw at the last day of test 1 is for air intake ONLY...weather it's for driver cooling or meant for aero purposes, no one knows yet...only Ferrari know... i'm sure we're gonna hear the more experienced critics (like james allen, or garry A.) talk more about it...

turbof1

Scarbs last year was the first to uncover the ddrs mystery. I think we should follow his tweets closely about this one.
#AeroFrodo

Coefficient
Coefficient

turbof1 wrote:
Consider&Go wrote:
He does not have to. You can clearly see it's built into the chassis. It's takes alot of time to develop a chassis that a strong enough to survive the crash test, yet still have that big hole there.

I was also wondering, with the front bulkhead having tightly regulated and standarised dimensions, how thin the actual nose would have to be? They need to leave enough room beneath the nose for air to reach the hole, yet can't go higher then 550mm.
I think this is why they have that ugly catfish mouth scoop fitted when they're experimenting with the duct.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

turbof1 wrote:Scarbs last year was the first to uncover the ddrs mystery. I think we should follow his tweets closely about this one.
What did he tweet?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)