Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

Raptor22 wrote:with the study and design of aerofoils compressibility is taken into account yes. If it was ignored we'd be engineering wings that are lift neutral.
You could study and design aerofoils and completely ignore compressibility. That's what they do in f1 for example.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Raptor22
Raptor22

THey do? ok thats news to me. I always figured they would take it into account to get more accurate L/D ratio figures on those short span wings

henra
henra

Raptor22 wrote:THey do? ok thats news to me. I always figured they would take it into account to get more accurate L/D ratio figures on those short span wings
Looking at the speeds we are talking in F1 it is very reasonable to neglect these effects.
If we assume 80 m/s as top speed for an F1 car (spending most time a even rather at 60 -70m/s) that is roughly 1/4 the speed of sound. Pressure increases with the square of the velocity. Even with local accelearation of airflows they will get nowhere near sonic speeds where compressibility becomes a significant factor.

It makes things so much more complex yet the effect will be minimal. Why bother?

PlatinumZealot

shelly wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:with the study and design of aerofoils compressibility is taken into account yes. If it was ignored we'd be engineering wings that are lift neutral.
You could study and design aerofoils and completely ignore compressibility. That's what they do in f1 for example.
forgetting that a big part of development this year, the exhast, has gasses coming out and mixing with air at near 800 degrees Celsius? it will cool after a some centimeters, but u cannot ignore the density changes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

shelly
shelly

You have no compressibility effects on aerofoils, except maybe slightly on the front wing endplate - negligible as stated above.
That the flow field is affected by two inlets of hot gas is a different pair of shoes - you could switch on the energy equation in your cfd solver (if you are in the ansys-fluent party) but in wt you would prefer to use another gas instead (He maybe?).

In wt: 60 m/s speed limit -mach similarity is not achieved and it is not an issue (you also have no Re similarity with 60%scale, but that's another topic)

Raptor22
Raptor22

I agree Shelly but stagnation point and pressure introduces the concept of a different pressure to the free stream. I think thats perhaps were people are getting lost.

shelly
shelly

Discussion on lotus e21 slotted bargeboard has led me to see what sauber are doing in the same zone, given that they have a very different undercut configuration (overcut actually).
From thai angle it seems to me that their bargeboard is more angled than other teams and that their floor stroll-lip is much more at the back, almost facing the siidepod widest point.

Forza

Australian GP - Wednesday - 13/3/2013
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Blackout

Huntresa
Huntresa

Is that last pic like a semi tunnel or what?

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

Australian GP - Thursday - 14/3/2013

Edit 1
Last edited by Forza on 14 Mar 2013, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

SiLo

Very interesting view of the rear side of the front wing, huge tunnel there from the rear panel, wish we had a shot of each front wing from this angle for comparison! Great work Forza =D>
Felipe Baby!

Nando
Nando

Yea that was interesting indeed!

Please let this car be as fast as it looks :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

wesley123
wesley123

stefan_ wrote:Image
Interresting how the vane behind the regular front wing turns inwards of the tire.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender