Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

raymondu999 wrote:
timbo wrote:IIRC the actual gears can be changed with no penalty, so if they only want to change that they can freely do so.
What actually constitutes a gearbox replacement then?
From 2013 sporting regs
28.6 d) At each Event seals may be broken once, under supervision and at any time prior to the second day of practice, for the sole purpose of changing gear ratios and dog rings (excluding final drives or reduction gears). Competitors must inform the FIA technical delegate which ratios they intend to fit no later than two hours after the end of P2.
However, one additional change of ratios and dog rings will be permitted if a gearbox change is necessary on the first day of practice before the end of P2. Gear ratios and dog rings (excluding final drives or reduction gears) may also be
changed under supervision for others of identical specification at any time during an Event provided the FIA technical delegate is satisfied there is evident physical damage to the parts in question and that such changes are not being carried out on a systematic basis.
e) Other than under d) above, a replacement gearbox will also be deemed to have been used if any of the FIA seals are damaged or removed from the original gearbox after it has been used for the first time.

Juzh

Huntresa wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
timbo wrote:IIRC the actual gears can be changed with no penalty, so if they only want to change that they can freely do so.
What actually constitutes a gearbox replacement then?

Breaking the seal would constitute a replacement, no ?
no

Bomber_Pilot

"...and that such changes are not being carried out on a systematic basis." Based on that would RB be allowed to change the gears at Singapore?

timbo
timbo

Bomber_Pilot wrote:"...and that such changes are not being carried out on a systematic basis." Based on that would RB be allowed to change the gears at Singapore?
They are allowed to change gears and dog rings.

tpe
tpe

Juzh wrote:
Huntresa wrote: Breaking the seal would constitute a replacement, no ?
no
Breaking the seal, results to 5 places penalty, as we clearly saw last year in Texas with Ferrari.

My understanding is that they can break the seal as long as a FIA representative is present and they work on specific elements.

lio007

irang wrote:http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/c ... 3358206991
Here's a little something for the geek in you...

With Singapore just over a week away, we've been putting in the hours with our fellow tech bods at Infiniti to develop a new hydrogen free 'Diamond Like Carbon' coating for the gear boxes we'll be using at the night race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

The Diamond Like Carbon (DLC to you and me) is already used in Infiniti road cars so we’ve re-worked the idea to use on our RB9s. The material is super-smooth which results in less friction between the elements inside the gear box. Broken down, what this means is that we can manage the temperature of the gear box and limit the scope for overheating more easily.

So there you have it.
quite interesting, that they've removed the article from their webpage.

SamH123
SamH123

The link never worked for me, even though I first tried it just a few hours after it was posted.
Interesting they took it down though

drunkmunky
drunkmunky

The infiniti and nissan vq37hr (high revolution) engine utilizes DLC coatings on the cam spring buckets from the factory.

gandharva

Marina Bay Circuit

SectorOne

Bomber_Pilot wrote:"...and that such changes are not being carried out on a systematic basis." Based on that would RB be allowed to change the gears at Singapore?
Perfect example of a greyzone in the rulebook.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

marcush.
marcush.

drunkmunky wrote:The infiniti and nissan vq37hr (high revolution) engine utilizes DLC coatings on the cam spring buckets from the factory.
c´mon ..this hat is as old as my grandma..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The stuff is in series production at Porsche since 2007 and they were LATE to the party.I personally used DLC coating in racing as early as 1998.....that was a staggering 15(!!!!) years ago..no wonder they removed it from the website..

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Bomber_Pilot

It's just crazy how little cooling that engine needs.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I remember hearing/reading that the reason that Newey wanted the Renault engine was because it had the lowest cooling needs (heat rejection). This suited his aero philosophy. I think the way that we've seen the RBs get tighter rear bodywork over the years lends some credence to that idea.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SamH123
SamH123

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 35305.html

I don't speak German so I put it through a translator

" No oil in the gear

Because the gears may be opened in her application cycle by five runnings only under supervision of the FIA, Red Bull to Singapore had to wait to examine the innards of the gear of Webber. What the engineers saw, has not liked them. The switch claws were worn excessively. A cirque voucher splinter had got lost in the differential and there had apparently damaged an oil management. In the gear was almost no more oil. A miracle that Webber came to Monza in the aim.

Originally wanted Red Bull which drive damaged power transmission on Friday once again to get to know more about the backgrounds of the damages. However, when one saw in which state the switch box was, one saved this practise. Because in Singapore other translations than in Monza are used, all drivers get already other way wheels and switch claws from the whole contingent. However, as long as one does not know what has caused the damages, this is no guarantee."

The title is saying 'Webber had gigantic luck in Monza' so it seems as though the gearbox was damaging itself pretty badly.

Is the article saying that because different gear ratios are used in Singapore, the damaged parts can be changed fine?

The final part of the article just says that they haven't had time to open Vettel's gearbox under supervision from FIA yet