Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BlackMercedes
BlackMercedes

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

I still suspect that they are not happy with the exhaust and trying very hard to find the best solution which probably means redbull/lotus design to an extent.

Was that a new front wing?

Think they are frightened of the overheating issue with the rear tyres

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I agree with shelly. The strake will cause a vortex to roll along its inner surface. This will augment the sealing effect the exhaust plume has on the tyre squirt; that is what the EBD is trying to control.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I agree with this picture and those like it, but I think that the red lines exit in a kind of vertical wall of red as opposed to the focused streams that we've been seeing.

Some of that exhaust, (imo) will be interacting with the brake duct winglets.

I also think that as the stream nears the floor, it would create a high pressure area that causes the blue lines on the floor to separate around it.
Just_a_fan wrote:I agree with shelly. The strake will cause a vortex to roll along its inner surface. This will augment the sealing effect the exhaust plume has on the tyre squirt; that is what the EBD is trying to control.
I agree with this also.

Mika1
Mika1

BlackMercedes wrote:I still suspect that they are not happy with the exhaust and trying very hard to find the best solution which probably means redbull/lotus design to an extent.

Was that a new front wing?

Think they are frightened of the overheating issue with the rear tyres
Brawn said in German media he was happy with it. Hamilton and Rosberg felt the difference, but they are working on it.
The boss follows me on twitter.

LilDEF1
LilDEF1

Guys by vortex you mean something like this?

Makes me wonder why they removed it in Australia after running it throughout winter testing. Maybe they realized they really need it now after all??? Hmm. Anyway can't wait to see the car on track with its full package for this weekend.

shelly
shelly

Yes the vortex should roll ike in your last picture: and the exhausts flowing side by side with it make its helix steeper, lowering pressure inside it.
twitter: @armchair_aero

R_Redding
R_Redding

These are some fantastic shots of the flow viz around the Mclaren rear end..

I assume that this is what is supposed to happen with the flows patterns , so I would assume that Merc are trying to get similar or better results.

Rob

Unc1e_M0nty

what was Rosbergs problem in Australia, they first said electrical then later I heard battery or alternator, did they ever confirm ?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:what was Rosbergs problem in Australia, they first said electrical then later I heard battery or alternator, did they ever confirm ?
They confirmed it was an issue with the battery not providing power reliably.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Given all the drawings of air flow around the coanda/diffuser/floor that we usually do, we always seem to be doing those drawings on pictures of a car either not moving or moving so slow that it has no effect on the cars geometry.

But we all know that cars never look the same, especially when moving fast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra-zsgfWHok[/youtube]

How if at all, would we edit a picture like this:

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o71 ... 56bc5c.jpg

,to account for the movement of the floor/diffuser relative to the surrounding airflow, exhaust airflow and also the brake ducts.

Also, are these drawings for off throttle only, or some/full throttle or all of the above?

Assuming higher exit speed when on throttle, would the exhaust plume look the same when on and off throttle?

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

[quote="GrizzleBoy"]Given all the drawings of air flow around the coanda/diffuser/floor that we usually do, we always seem to be doing those drawings on pictures of a car either not moving or moving so slow that it has no effect on the cars geometry.

But we all know that cars never look the same, especially when moving fast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra-zsgfWHok[/youtube]

That is coooool!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

wesley123
wesley123

I think that the plume will stick in a similar position, maybe a bit further back but I think that this is partially where the downwash comes in.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013

http://imgur.com/uh67a43.jpg
http://imgur.com/Pk6TKTm.jpg

DAMNINice

really low camera mount...

REal men play with twins!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Gary Anderson wrote: "A lot of the teams are already struggling with tyre graining here. But the Lotus and Mercedes are looking after their tyres well. They definitely have an advantage when it comes to tyre wear at the moment."

Well done Merc. [-o<

Quite the turnaround from last year!

[Although, I prob should wait till Sunday for hard evidence.]