Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Bahrain 2013 - Saturday (20.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

Looks like a tyre failure to me...

Which caused the suspension failure..

thomin

copperkipper1 wrote:Looks like a tyre failure to me...

Which caused the suspension failure..
I saw Toto on German TV after FP3, while he wasn't explicit, it sounded like he was saying the same thing you did, that the tire failure came first.

The interviewer asked him what this defect would mean for qualifying and then Toto said that they were on a long run, figuring out the tires when it happened and that the only impact would be on the race when they will have to avoid the problem.

Darknight
Darknight

Noticed today during the pit walk between p3 and qualifying that merc were the only pit who had barriers covering the garage entrance. They were also not entertaining guests like other teams. Makes me wonder if they updated something between p3 and qualifying. Photos from tomorrow should be closely examined I think.

infy
infy

Darknight wrote:Noticed today during the pit walk between p3 and qualifying that merc were the only pit who had barriers covering the garage entrance. They were also not entertaining guests like other teams. Makes me wonder if they updated something between p3 and qualifying. Photos from tomorrow should be closely examined I think.
I thought teams were not allowed to cover the pit entrance?

Darknight
Darknight

infy wrote:
Darknight wrote:Noticed today during the pit walk between p3 and qualifying that merc were the only pit who had barriers covering the garage entrance. They were also not entertaining guests like other teams. Makes me wonder if they updated something between p3 and qualifying. Photos from tomorrow should be closely examined I think.
I thought teams were not allowed to cover the pit entrance?
I should have taken a picture. The pits were literally barricaded.

sucof

Most probably they can do that if they have to rebuild the car.

seventhsin

What was Nico adjusting in the left side of the cockpit on the straights during his qually lap? I thought all adjustments were made on the steering wheel?

Chubbs

seventhsin wrote:What was Nico adjusting in the left side of the cockpit on the straights during his qually lap? I thought all adjustments were made on the steering wheel?
He was adjusting the brake bias. I think all of the cars brake bias adjusters are in the cockpit and not on the steering wheel.
Chubbs

yener

This has nothing to do with tyre wear.

Maybe it's the first tyre Pirelli made at monday morning. Or the suspension failure made it happen.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

speedsense
speedsense

Looks like such a clean break, and right at end of the gusset. You can see the formation seam of the a-arm to the gusset (they are made in three pieces not one), just like the other part of the a arm that didn't break. If the tire went first, it's not likely the a arm broke due to the tire de-laminating because A) the rubber coming off and hitting the arm it would shatter the carbon, not "clean slice" it. B) there would be rubber marks all over the a arm.
Though can't see in the picture could have gotten the toe link and broke that first causing the clean break by allowing the wheel to toe in/out at will. That could break the a arm at the weakest point by force.
If the A arm broke first, it would destroy the tire in short order, with the instant toe, camber and freedom of movement changes it would have. Could be a construction issue, that has shown itself due to the 'gator teeth curbs that Bahrain has. Hopefully just a singular one and not a multiple one...IMHO
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

Cocles

Hamilton ran over some metal debris on the track. Van der Garde ran over it too, but was lucky.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106928

pixdiff
pixdiff

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not a clean break, it's split down a lot of the laminations.

atanatizante

Did they get a quick fix for the sticking rubber issue?
I heard that they trying to put some special lubricant used also for airplanes ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus