Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Most teams are already using coatings, have been for a long time, Force India and a couple of others use Gtechniq's surface coatings for example.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Sunday (21.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SilverArrow10

Did Nico have a fuel problem, I heard that somewhere, could that have affected performance of the car today? Hamilton had a better end to the race.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Vasco

They really seem to be struggling on the higher fuel loads as compared to the other teams. I suspect this compounds their tyre wear problems further. I wonder if this is something to do with the FRIC system. If they can sort this aspect out, then they should have better race pace.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

The tire degradation isn't as bad as it was last season but it is still a concern. Maybe they should try dampers and roll bars as a compliment to the 'fric' system.

mantikos
mantikos

FRIC is also used by Lotus and both systems were designed by Bell...Lotus is the best when it comes to tires..so you know that ain't the issue...

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

The tyre degradation on Nico's seemed far worse than Hamilton's. I noticed that if you push the Merc too hard the tyres collapse... and Nico weas driving much more aggressively than Hamilton. Also Nico was having the same fuel problems as Hamilton in Malaysia... thats also probably due to his aggressive driving. The car also has bad pace on heavy fuel loads. So they end up trying to fuel the car as less as possible and if the drivers push they have to go in fuel conservation mode. It's a double edged sword.

The problem also is that the race was hard on rear tyres, rather than front, and that seems like Merc's problem.

turbof1

mantikos wrote:FRIC is also used by Lotus and both systems were designed by Bell...Lotus is the best when it comes to tires..so you know that ain't the issue...
Except they still have roll bars and springs attached. Mercedes is the only one driving fric-only.
#AeroFrodo

mantikos
mantikos

turbof1 wrote:
mantikos wrote:FRIC is also used by Lotus and both systems were designed by Bell...Lotus is the best when it comes to tires..so you know that ain't the issue...
Except they still have roll bars and springs attached. Mercedes is the only one driving fric-only.
Honest question - is that a speculative claim or is that a common knowledge statement?
Honestly, I don't know much about the Lotus' suspension other than they use FRIC designed by Bell which he brought over to Merc

beelsebob
beelsebob

mantikos wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Honest question - is that a speculative claim or is that a common knowledge statement?
Honestly, I don't know much about the Lotus' suspension other than they use FRIC designed by Bell which he brought over to Merc
Is it even common knowledge that Merc use FRIC only, I certainly have seen no one mention that.

Morteza

It is very disappointing that the car performs well in qualifying, but come the race day and they are almost nowhere. Is it because they don't have enough downforce or they still have problems getting the tires to work?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

beelsebob
beelsebob

Morteza wrote:It is very disappointing that the car performs well in qualifying, but come the race day and they are almost nowhere. Is it because they don't have enough downforce or they still have problems getting the tires to work?
Neither, I think it's a case of the aero design having a relatively narrow operating window, so narrow that as soon as the car is loaded with fuel, and running lower, it's much less efficient. That's my best guess at least.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Is there any news of an upgrade package for Barcelona? They have three weeks for the race.

Morteza

beelsebob wrote:
Morteza wrote:It is very disappointing that the car performs well in qualifying, but come the race day and they are almost nowhere. Is it because they don't have enough downforce or they still have problems getting the tires to work?
Neither, I think it's a case of the aero design having a relatively narrow operating window, so narrow that as soon as the car is loaded with fuel, and running lower, it's much less efficient. That's my best guess at least.
Now that is a tough problem to address if that's the case with the car, isn't it?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

beelsebob
beelsebob

Morteza wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Now that is a tough problem to address if that's the case with the car, isn't it?
I have no idea (whether I'm right, or how difficult it is to address). Ross Brawn appeared to suggest that the issue was actually simply that it was hot at the start of the race.