Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

k.ko100v wrote:
Mercedes AMG Fans: I can scan it, but this magazine is in Bulgarian language.
Thanks

please do..

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

flyboy2160 wrote:the vortex generators (vgs) are like little dams placed at an angle to the flow. they force the air up and over them or around them, causing a swirl, like a little tornado. you can see this swirl start in a close up of flow over a simple angled plate shape: http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67 ... pswirl.jpg

the swirl pulls air above the surface - which has more velocity - down to the surface where the air has 'lost' velocity. this added velocity helps keep the air from separating off the surface.

you have to play with the size, shape, and location of these things. here's a shot showing my initial placement of some vgs on a wing:http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67 ... 6alpha.jpg

without them, the 'bad' blue air separated right about where the little vortex generator is sticking up. it helped keep the flow attached a little longer. that is the blue area is father back, but the flow still separates.

the vgs on the top of the sidepods are probably trying to do the same thing - keep the flow attached to the sidepod upper surface instead of having it separate.

hope this helps explain a litlle better......

edit: i say 'probably,' because some of the little wing shapes on top of the sidepods may just be flow directors, not neceassarily vortex generators.
I really apreciate that post. I posed the question initially because those vanes seemed to me to be just flow directors (or conditioners) as stated in your final sentance. I had not appreciated how little votices on a surface could actually delay the stall of a surface.

windtravels
windtravels

turbof1 wrote:That would be the airflow coming through the sidepods entrances and the airbox in the roll hoop. Generally, you want that airflow as undisturbed as possible. The more it is disturbed, the more drag you have. Furthermore, you don't want the internal flow to cause low pressure, which as aforementioned creates lift. So you want the air fast in, fast out; just enough for cooling (and air for the engine). The flow will also most likely get heated up and energized, so you want that air to exit the internals at a place where it can produce downforce. Hence the red bull solution: ALL of the internal airflow exits at the back of the coke bottle out of the bulged opening, right onto the beam wing and monkey seat.

It's difficult to tell how teams exactly manage internal airflow. It is always looking for a compromise between packaging, which benefits external airflow, meeting the minimum required
Thanks!

user001
user001

clipsy1H wrote:
winth304 wrote: found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gsNA#t=55s

imho a suspension should withstand such driving "incidents" more than a schumacher or hamilton overdrivers the engine.
this isn't a car failure.... was absolutely normal... what you can expect when he hit with over 140 kph the kerb? if you look closely you'll see that he touched grass first and after hit the curb and between these two is a difference in height.

and about downforce... you can't find downforce over night :mrgreen: in last 3 years downforce was the main problem for them (beside tires issue). For a good downforce you need a good aerodynamic package
So this is the reason why i don't believe to much in Mercedes this year... with almost no regulation change it's almost impossible to come in 3 months with an amazing car. In last 4-5 races car was over 2 sec off the pace. Like Lewis said new parts will bring time but with new parts comes all teams. Will be amazing if this year they can win more than 3-4 races (i said 3 because even last year they could win at least 2 if Michael didn't have that crap penalty in Monaco)
what i expect? that the suspension withstands this powers. recall sutil´s flying force india (fly kingfisher ;-)) in singapore years ago. :D

kooleracer
kooleracer

I'm missing the new aerodynamics chief of Mercedes Mike Elliot in the description.

OFF: Paddy Lowe has signed for MercedesGP according to the guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/fe ... f1-mclaren
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Ferraripilot

Any word with regards to what upgrades we might see this week?

dren

I'm going to guess:

New engine cover/cooling outlet (I expect this one)
New floor/diffuser
Updated front and rear wings
Honda!

RicerDude

Ferraripilot wrote:Any word with regards to what upgrades we might see this week?

Anon123
Anon123

I wonder if we'll see another version of the DRD, if I recall correctly Hamilton tested with and without it on the same day but he was faster without it. Obviously I have to say fuel loads were unknown before some shouts at me. :D

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:I'm going to guess:

New floor/diffuser

You mean the lower cooling outlet surrounds near the floor, specifically near the dip in the floor? Updates to that area would not surprise me, something to tidy up that area would make sense.

So in other words, I'm not expecting any large updates like a floor, maybe a diffuser though, hopefully one with a double deck perforated gurney as Ferrari have so nicely made. Lots of little things really: Updates to the rear wing DRS element, larger cascades on the front wing to further aid understeer, and perhaps new rear wing uprights with updated vents (they have had this same style for some 2+ years now).

user001
user001

lauda said recently there is much more to come in the second week regarding updates. don't know what.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

winth304 wrote:the coanda exhaust makes up to about 20% in the best case.
20% of what?

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

winth304 wrote:lauda said recently there is much more to come in the second week regarding updates. don't know what.
I presume you mean Brawn.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Schulteiss wrote:
winth304 wrote:lauda said recently there is much more to come in the second week regarding updates. don't know what.
I presume you mean Brawn.
No Lauda does all the speaking these days for Mercedez sadly :P

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

dren wrote:I'm going to guess:

New floor/diffuser
Don't forget updated exhaust channels. This is where I expect the most work (not neccesarily visual) work done. Some carefully crafted detailing upstream to tweak the exhaust flow can make a big difference in terms of downforce and tyre wear.

I also expect modified sidepods for the same reason.

Perhaps, if they really want to treat us, they'll give us a modified front wing as well.

New brake ducts? Certainly possible.

I do believe the car has a large development potential, especially if they get a hang of the coanda exhausts (which I believe they have). Would be really great if they can reclaim their rightfull spot in the 'top 4' (which I very begrudgingly admit they lost to the f*****g fag packets).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...