2013 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Pierce89

Re: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

godlameroso wrote:This might be one of those crazy Monaco GP where people actually make a pass on track as opposed to creating a train all race.
I highly doubt it. The only time recently I remember a pass anywhere close to the front was the Shumi/Alonso controversy in 2010.(and that only happened because Alonso wasn't racing)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Overdriving wrote:
Neno wrote: EDIT: Red Bull is fast car that is for sure. But their win's get from race with mixed conditions (when they need heat up tires quickly in one lap and run away), something similar like Ferrari last year. They obvious have problems with tires as they can't push enough in dry. Vettel for me is not leading championship, you need too take 7 points from his score, because those are Webber's points.
Vettel is leading the championship on merit. .
In which dictionary is the definition of merit: "Ferrari messed up 40% percent of the races held" ?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Overdriving
Overdriving

Pierce89 wrote: In which dictionary is the definition of merit: "Ferrari royally messed up 40% percent of the races held" ?
Well, it's hardly his concern or fault that Alonso and Ferrari royally messed up 40% percent of the races, isn't it? He didn't. If leading the championship in a car that is not the best in Q and the third best on the race days is not merit, then I don't know what is, and I'm saying this as a Kimi fan.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Overdriving wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: In which dictionary is the definition of merit: "Ferrari royally messed up 40% percent of the races held" ?
Well, it's hardly his concern or fault that Alonso and Ferrari royally messed up 40% percent of the races, isn't it? He didn't. If leading the championship in a car that is not the best in Q and the third best on the race days is not merit, then I don't know what is, and I'm saying this as a Kimi fan.
Last year Alonso would not have scored as many points with his lousy car had the competition not "royally messed" up their races either. Yet he was praised for his outstanding performance :D

@ Strategy: I cannot really see a 2-stop work if there are other trying to get their one-stop working. Unless you can build up a large enough gap to get out in front after your pitstop, you will get stuck behind the train and will not be able to undercut anyone. I doubt that overtaking will be easier with a fresh set of tires, as narrow as the track is.

Should the Merc's really cause a train behind them, anyone trying to two-stop will get out in traffic of possible one stoppers. Or am I missing sth. here? :)

Vasconia

So Mercedes dont look so bad in the long runs, I will put my money on Nico for this weekend, hope we have a relatively "cold" Sunday. [-o<

Anyway if Alonso is in the second row he can win, Ferrari is looking great, but we need more corageous drivers than in the last year when we did not see real battles to win the race.

hollus

Passing in Monaco in nothing new, it just requires the right tires ;-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fksZyKRcpIs[/youtube]
Rivals, not enemies.

motobaleno

henra wrote: I'm really shocked to see how happily People sacrifice real racing
hey guys I propose you a deal: feel free to say that current F1 is awful, that tyres are garbage and so and so but PLEASE stop interpreting the profets of REAL RACING!
It reminds me of the ayathollas!
I can assure you that what you call "real racing" exists only in your minds!
if racing not pushing at 100% and taking care of several limiting variables is not the "real racing" dogma then I have to say to you that ALL other car competitions are much less real racing than f1!
Last edited by motobaleno on 24 May 2013, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

f1316
f1316

raymondu999 wrote:
f1316 wrote:I would have thought that - IF RB do have all this downforce they're usually unable to use and IF their recent relative lack of quali pace compared to merc is due to having to set up the car for the race (at the cost of one lap speed) - this weekend would allow them to ignore these issues.

At Monaco they could set up the car to maximise the huge downforce they have, knowing that pole is most of the battle won. That seems like a no brainer.

So if they don't get pole, surely this idea of a superior red bull being held back more than others by tyres can be put to bed?
Actually, the tyre situation at Monza 2012 comes to mind. A one-stopper being marginal, Mercedes committed to a 2-stopper from the off. It could be perhaps that the Red Bull has been set up for a 1-stop. I don't think the situation is as clear a 1-stop as some people think (myself included, before the weekend)
I see what you're saying, but I'd be surprised if every team would not take the pole at Monaco if it was within their means to do so. Perhaps I'm wrong, but my understanding is that RB say they have the fastest car but are compromising qualifying pace because of tyre deg in the race - hence no poles in last three races.

Personally, I feel that if merc get pole here, the idea that RB have a fundamentally faster car is no longer valid (albeit Monaco is not your average track - Maybe better to say the notion is ' damaged')

f1316
f1316

Oh and Lewis passed schumi two years ago cleanly ( with drs). Tyres were going off big time for the merc, but goes to show it is possible in that situation - even against the most determined defender :)

raymondu999

Pierce89 wrote:
Overdriving wrote:
Neno wrote: EDIT: Red Bull is fast car that is for sure. But their win's get from race with mixed conditions (when they need heat up tires quickly in one lap and run away), something similar like Ferrari last year. They obvious have problems with tires as they can't push enough in dry. Vettel for me is not leading championship, you need too take 7 points from his score, because those are Webber's points.
Vettel is leading the championship on merit. .
In which dictionary is the definition of merit: "Ferrari messed up 40% percent of the races held" ?
None. But Ferrari messing up is not to Vettel's merit - it is to Ferrari's DEmerit.

Is it really any different to Alonso's opportunistic 2012? If he was given merit for capitalising on others cocking up - should Vettel not be held to the same standard? Sure the RB is probably not as bad - but in terms of capitalising on the opposition's brainfades, Vettel has probably driven to the same standard Alonso has last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Neno
Neno

Vettel is sure not driving best car on field, but he is leading championship. His drives reminds me much on Alonso last year to use every oportunnity to score as much points he can make, also use just as Alonso teams orders 2010 as first driver. His drives are on Alonso last year performances, but he sure have better car then Alonso last year in beggining of season, as gap between 4 teams are less in half second.

If rain come up in qualy tommorow, pole will go either Rosberg, Hamilton or Vettel. Vettel clearly dont have a chance to be on pole on dry this year, even with car who have too much downforce :oops:

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

raymondu999 wrote:Is it really any different to Alonso's opportunistic 2012? If he was given merit for capitalising on others cocking up - should Vettel not be held to the same standard?
Don't be daft. Alonso is a driving god amongst mere mortals. Vettel is at best a GP2 also ran. This has long since been established by F1 forum experts across the world.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:Oh and Lewis passed schumi two years ago cleanly ( with drs). Tyres were going off big time for the merc, but goes to show it is possible in that situation - even against the most determined defender :)
Yes, if your tyres are completely destroyed ovetaking is posible but very risky, especially where Lewis tried, in that precise moment Schumi behaved like a "good boy" giving some space, if not, a colllision was 100% sure.

raymondu999

Overtaking is possible in Monaco - I just don't think that Lewis in 2011 Monaco is a good example lol.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

iotar__

raymondu999 wrote: Is it really any different to Alonso's opportunistic 2012? If he was given merit for capitalising on others cocking up - should Vettel not be held to the same standard? Sure the RB is probably not as bad - but in terms of capitalising on the opposition's brainfades, Vettel has probably driven to the same standard Alonso has last year.
It's considerably different if you notice the fact that Ferrari 2012 was incomparably less competitive than Red Bull 2013. Although it pretty much renders drivers comparison useless, what exactly did Vettel do this season that resembled Alonso last year?

Lost position to Ferrari in Melbourne, win on a plate in Bahrain, BS stolen win in Malaysia with a team-mate as the only competition, 4th in China - lost to LewHam in a Mercedes!, Barcelona average at best. Sample may be too small but I don't see examples of driver making a difference. If anything it's more similar to Vettel 2012, minus meltdown towards the end of the season, when one trick pony turned out to be 0 tricks pony when he lost certain-win-from-pole in USA.

Nothing to do with Monaco but it's better than tyre/real racing drama ;o