2013 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

godlameroso wrote:There's no way that only one stop will be made, more like three or four
Tell that to Monaco 2012/2011. Fact remains that as long as temps aren't excessively cold, traction wheelspin in and of itself has never posed a life threat to these Pirellis.
I still think that a three or four stopper is going to be the norm.
And I still think that a one-stop will be the norm, barring weather or red flags and accidents.
Maybe make a tyre with two stages, one soft layer on the outside, and a harder safety tread that is significantly slower once it's been worn.
They actually had just that in 2011.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ozan
Ozan

I think with the un-changed 2k13 compounds, 2-3 stoppers are predictable for Monaco GP. Merc and RBR-like cars likely to make 3 stops because this year's soft tyre is like the last year's SSoft tyre. And this year's SSoft tyre is much softer.

Pierce89

Ozan wrote:I think with the un-changed 2k13 compounds, 2-3 stoppers are predictable for Monaco GP. Merc and RBR-like cars likely to make 3 stops because this year's soft tyre is like the last year's SSoft tyre. And this year's SSoft tyre is much softer.
Nobody will be on a 3 stopper. 1 stop is most likely.Last year cars only stopped because they're required to run both compounds. Vettel ran forever and never really slowed down.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

iotar__

It's not that important but yes, forget about three stops. Maybe two stops? It might be closer to 2011 than 2012. Of course there's a long pitlane/pitstop time, some safety cars most likely, no overtaking and so on but it might be about the drop off towards the end of the stint.

Maybe forced shorter first stint? It's the first time they're running soft-s. soft combination. Maybe Mercedes leading and slowing down the field and someone behind deciding to pit early? One option: on a longer second stint, second: on two stops (with traffic makes less sense). It can only be interesting if strategies vary or some crash happens. Most likely boring race apart from free practice (best part), qualifying and start.

Vasconia

If the temperatures are relatively cold as in 2012 we could see only one stop, if not with these tyres we should see two stops, but never a 3-4 stop race.

I would like to see a wet race in Monaco, I still have in my mind those epic races of 96 and 97. :lol:

raymondu999

iotar__ wrote:It's not that important but yes, forget about three stops. Maybe two stops? It might be closer to 2011 than 2012.
Vettel did almost 60 laps on a set of soft tyres, so that also bodes well for a one stop.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SamH123
SamH123

But using 2012 naming for the tires we've got the supersofts and the new supersupersofts this year so I reckon maybe 2 stops is a little more likely

raymondu999

That I shall concede. But even on a two stopper, I can see most going OOP. IMO the traction advantage is much greater than the loss in the greater stint lengths (compared to OPP)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Websta

Probably between the Red Bulls and Merc in qualifying.

I hope it's Mercedes on the front row to make the race more exciting. I like watching car trains at the front of the field in Monaco, like the final 7 or so laps last year. I couldn't look away.

If the RBRs and Mercs do top qualifying, hopefully while they are busy covering each other off in the race, it opens possibilities for Ferrari and Lotus to run different strategies.

Edit: I would like to see Webber win it again. Winning multiple Monaco GPs is a very good legacy for him to leave as I don't think he has any realistic shot at the title any more.

JamtriX
JamtriX

Hoping for a Ferrari 1-2 here on race day. Its been a while. :D and of course Kimi on 3rd.

ForzaFer

Jonnycraig wrote: I would expect if a train does form, one or more of the front runners (probably Vettel) will dip into the pits earlier and undercut them. They can afford to sacrifice a longer last stint because as you note, the leader sets the pace in Monaco.

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see a repeat of last year where we had 5/6 cars within 3 seconds for the final stint.
But with train formed and no overtaking possibilities undercut has one negative: you can get stuck with slower cars after you leave the pits which are part of the train and then you can't exploit extra pace of new set of tyres

ForzaFer

JamtriX wrote:Hoping for a Ferrari 1-2 here on race day. Its been a while. :D and of course Kimi on 3rd.
I hope too, but I will not mind if one driver wins and other is outside the podium. For Kimi, the worse position he has, the better for Ferrari

Nomore
Nomore

I hope it's Mercedes on the front row to make the race more exciting. I like watching car trains at the front of the field in Monaco, like the final 7 or so laps last year. I couldn't look away.
I dont know what will be exciting on that...:roll: ...to see 8-9 cars stacked behind like a train
it opens possibilities for Ferrari and Lotus to run different strategies.
Unfortunately there isn't too much room for strategies in Monaco, if Alonso tries to do something "alla Barcelona", there is a high possibility, to ends up like Jenson Button last year... :wtf:
For me the only and reasonable strategy in Monaco is:

-Make a very very very good lap in quali (from both driver and car point of view)
-Make a good start
-Preserve your tires
-if you have a free track before entering the pits, put everything you got.

The fact that Monaco is a special track where road cars pass every day, the Monaco gp isn't hard on tires. Alonso and Vettel last year proved that there is a possibility to go faster with used tires than the guys with fresh tires...Alonso jumped Hamilton and Vettel jumped Hamilton and Massa.
Hoping for a Ferrari 1-2 here on race day. Its been a while. :D and of course Kimi on 3rd.
Regarding the strengths and weakness (quali and race) of Ferrari and Lotus i doubt that we will see a 1-2 Ferrari (or Lotus) in Monaco ( i will be more than happy if that happens). In Silverstone they have a good chance.
Probably between the Red Bulls and Merc in qualifying.
I must say probably only Mercedes (traction), unless RB have made a considerable step forward in one lap pace.

For me personally the only things that will be interesting to watch are:
-How this year pirelli tires will act in Monaco, can they offer the possibility to overtake.
-Will a team bring a strong package to jump the field.
-Can it rain

Apart these factors, it's Monaco as usual :) ...sure Monaco is the best race weekend to participate, i had the luck and pleasure to be there in 2010, spent quite a lot of money but it was worth spending and is something that you remember in a lifetime.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Nomore wrote:I must say probably only Mercedes (traction), unless RB have made a considerable step forward in one lap pace.
Melbourne:
Vettel: 1:27:4
Hamilton: 1:28:0

Malaysia:
Vettel: 1:49.6
Hamilton: 1.51.6

Red Bull have plenty of one lap pace in hand, they have been setting up since China with both eyes on the race.

Pierce89

Jonnycraig wrote:
Nomore wrote:I must say probably only Mercedes (traction), unless RB have made a considerable step forward in one lap pace.
Melbourne:
Vettel: 1:27:4
Hamilton: 1:28:0

Malaysia:
Vettel: 1:49.6
Hamilton: 1.51.6

Red Bull have plenty of one lap pace in hand, they have been setting up since China with both eyes on the race.
Both of the quali sessions you quote happened in mixed conditions and the times are a good way off the ultimate pace. Furthermore, the cars have all evolved since then. I've seen no evidence that the RB9 is currently a quicker qualifier than the W04.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher