2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

Tyres - Medium (prime, white) and Supersoft (option, red)

Tyres - Soft (prime, yellow) and Supersoft (option, red)
Winner - Lewis Hamilton (Supersoft - Soft - Soft)

Tyres - Soft (prime, yellow) and Supersoft (option, red)
Winner - Jenson Button (Wet - Intermediate - Wet - Intermediate - Intermediate - Supersoft)

2012 pole lap - Sebastian Vettel
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT5Y-aMLpZ0[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SamH123
SamH123

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

Go go Hamilton
Will be extremely surprised not to see him on pole position

Not sure about the race though, tyre wear seemed reasonbly heavy last year?

beelsebob
beelsebob

I will be flying back from america while this is on :(

raymondu999

SamH123 wrote:Not sure about the race though, tyre wear seemed reasonbly heavy last year?
You mean as a race, or for Mercedes? Teams were doing OP, OOP and OPP - Mercedes did an OPP from the off.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SamH123
SamH123

Oh ok, not too bad then.
I thought the top teams were splitting between 2 and 3 stops not 1 and 2.

raymondu999

Again, it's a bit like Monaco. Very smooth surface, very low degradation, very high wear. But these Pirellis just seem to shrug off tyre wear like nobody's business. Everyone called me bonkers when I said as early as 2011 that we would see at most a 2-stop race in Canada, but it came to be.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SilverArrow10

ahhh fantastic track, right up there along side China as my favourites, tight barriers like Monaco but many overtaking places, the best of both worlds. The change in the tires could add more mystery and excitement to the race to.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Juzh

So, mercs for pole again? Is this track rear or front limited? OPP for majority of the field? OOP for lotus?

stefan_
stefan_

Lotus are already starting the Canadian Grand Prix on a high. 10 place grid drop penalty for Romain...
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

raymondu999

Juzh wrote:So, mercs for pole again? Is this track rear or front limited? OPP for majority of the field? OOP for lotus?
Very much rear limited. OP for Lotus - and OP for most, to be honest. I suspect there will be a couple on OOP or OPP, which I believe (without the benefit of FP data yet) to be quicker, but requires overtaking.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Juzh

raymondu999 wrote:
Juzh wrote:So, mercs for pole again? Is this track rear or front limited? OPP for majority of the field? OOP for lotus?
Very much rear limited. OP for Lotus - and OP for most, to be honest. I suspect there will be a couple on OOP or OPP, which I believe (without the benefit of FP data yet) to be quicker, but requires overtaking.
Rear limited is RB territory, is it not? You seriously think 1 stopper is possible? cant see super softs lasting more than ~15 (+ quali) reasonable laps. This is not monaco, you will be overtaken if you cruise around 3 seconds of the pace. And asking 55 competetive laps from mediums is pushing it me thinks.

raymondu999

Juzh wrote:Rear limited is RB territory, is it not?
Yes - but Canada's long straights is not.
You seriously think 1 stopper is possible?
Yes.
cant see super softs lasting more than ~15 (+ quali) reasonable laps.
Last year, the longest supersoft race-starting stint in Monaco was 40 laps - and then that same supersoft lasted a longest race-starting stint length of 28 laps in Canada.
This is not monaco, you will be overtaken if you cruise around 3 seconds of the pace. And asking 55 competetive laps from mediums is pushing it me thinks.
Tell that to last year's podium. P2 and P3 came from one-stoppers, and that was on supersoft and soft rather than supersoft and medium. The most audacious 1-stopper was Grosjean - 21 supersoft laps and 49 soft laps.

Perhaps a good look at the relevant data from last year might be better than making estimates out of thin air
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

The tires are softer than last year. This year's supersoft is even more aggressive than last year's whereas the medium tire is about last year's soft tire. This circuit is funny it's not front or rear limited, the key to a good lap is good traction out of corners and a steady chassis under braking. Good traction is essential to limit wheelspin, which is what wears the tires out the most on this track.

The tight confines of the track also favor the brave, having confidence in the car is essential to making it through the wall of champions. I think the battle for pole will be very close as all the front runners are pretty evenly matched to the circuit's requirements.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

raymondu999 wrote: Yes - but Canada's long straights is not.
True.
Tell that to last year's podium. P2 and P3 came from one-stoppers, and that was on supersoft and soft rather than supersoft and medium. The most audacious 1-stopper was Grosjean - 21 supersoft laps and 49 soft laps.

Perhaps a good look at the relevant data from last year might be better than making estimates out of thin air
I'm not making it out of thin air. 1 stopper worked for some last year only because the front runners botched their strategy, 2 stopper was no doubt the quicker one. And tyres are softer than last year. I dont think this is as much of a clear cut as you're suggesting it to be.

zeph
zeph

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ejb8 ... aJLbGt5mSN