2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Unc1e_M0nty

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

SilverArrow10 wrote: Mercedes not improved,
Really ?

Lewis was 15 secs off top spot, 1.5 sec off Alonso, and pitted at the same intervals as the top two, I'd say today was a very good day for Lewis & Merc, not sure what happened to Rosberg though.

maranello55
maranello55

Vettel is already a runaway WDC contender by the gap he already have to Alonso in the standings. Whoever approved the 25 pts for a gp winner is a fool. It was introduced in 2010. The first year Vettel becomes a WDC.

Poleman

stefan_ wrote:For a moment I thought I was back in 2011. Vettel's pace was simply disarming.

Great race for di Resta & Vergne.
Actually it kinda felt like the FIA GT championship...As if Vettel was racing a GT1 car and the rest of the field the GT3 class :?

raymondu999

maranello55 wrote:Whoever approved the 25 pts for a gp winner is a fool.
Rubbish. 25 for a win makes no difference, because what goes around comes around. 25 for a win means it's easier to pull a big gap, but also easy to reel it back. Try dividing the points system by 2.5:

25 == 10
18 == 7.2
15 == 6
12 == 4.8
10 == 4
8 == 3.2
6 == 2.4
4 == 1.6
2 == 0.8
1 == 0.4

Now compare that to 2009:

10 == 10 (no change)
8 == 7.2 (10% decrease)
6 == 6 (no change)
5 == 4.8 (4% decrease)
4 == 4 (no change)
3 == 3.2 (6.67% increase)
2 == 2.4 (20% increase)
1 == 1.6 (60% increase)

Other than points for P9 and P10, the only key differences are "more points" for P7 and P8
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

maranello55 wrote:Vettel is already a runaway WDC contender by the gap he already have to Alonso in the standings. Whoever approved the 25 pts for a gp winner is a fool. It was introduced in 2010. The first year Vettel becomes a WDC.
Nothing foolish about it! Just take the previous award of 10 points for 1st, and multiply by 2.5, and so on down the line, but giving the top 10 points instead of the top 8. There is a slight difference for second, but the gaps are still basically the same. It is all to with your perception of numbers. On the old points system, Vettel would still be the same distance ahead.

Steven
Owner

maranello55 wrote:Vettel is already a runaway WDC contender by the gap he already have to Alonso in the standings. Whoever approved the 25 pts for a gp winner is a fool. It was introduced in 2010. The first year Vettel becomes a WDC.
The points system has nothing do to with that. It was calculated in previous years that the WDC would have been the same with the previous system.

stefan_
stefan_

I think the drive-thru penalty for Sutil was a nonsense.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

henra
henra

WhiteBlue wrote:Merc was substantially improved methink. Hamilton lost only one place.
Fully agreed. Looking at where they were coming from at the beginning of the season , (starting in the front row and almost dropping out of the Points in the race) this seems like a massive improvement, although they are not quite there, yet.

aral
aral

stefan_ wrote:I think the drive-thru penalty for Sutil was a nonsense.
As was the stop and go for Van De Garde! What is the effect of such a penalty on a driver who is already last?

Morteza

What were the stewards smoking, really? :roll:

It seems that FI cannot have a smooth weekend for both drivers...
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

komninosm
komninosm

Morteza wrote:
Poleman wrote:The second DRS zone was a joke IMO. If you failed to pass on the (already) long DRS zone you get a free attack right after! Genial! =D> #-o Nevertheless quite a boring race but somehow expected,so...on to Silverstone. :)
Agreed. A pretty boring race. The only thing that caught my attention was di Resta's run on the primes.
I agree, I almost fell asleep in the first half of the race.

Ignoring blue flags penalty was sad. This race showed how slow "other" cars go compared to the first teams when there's no Safety Car to help them. It was a bit sad to see how soft tires are a big fail in race (Rosberg, Massa), but expected with these Pirellis destructo-tires. I can't fathom what Mercedes and Ferrari were thinking...

turbof1

if i am correct, he ignored the blue flags 3x. At that point they automatically have to give him a penalty.

Same with van de garde; he ignored the flags also 3x, and ran into Mark Webber. The stop 'n go was fully justified.
#AeroFrodo

komninosm
komninosm

gilgen wrote:
As was the stop and go for Van De Garde! What is the effect of such a penalty on a driver who is already last?
What about the penalty Maldonado got?

stefan_
stefan_

turbof1 wrote:
if i am correct, he ignored the blue flags 3x. At that point they automatically have to give him a penalty.

Same with van de garde; he ignored the flags also 3x, and ran into Mark Webber. The stop 'n go was fully justified.
It actually looked to me that, considering the fact that Hamilton was not that close to Sutil, he was staying behind to catch the DRS and defend from Alonso.
With Giedo was the right call, unfortunately he got lost a little bit today.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

spiritone
spiritone

Sutil needs to give his head a shake. How many blue flags do you need to get before you get the idea you need to get out of the way.