2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

Just_a_fan wrote:
SectorOne wrote: Yet all of a sudden there´s an artificial leveling due to the tires that we have never seen before in F1 history.
You've obviously forgotten about the FIA's move to reduce Ferrari's advantage in 2005. They banned tyre changes in the race - Ferrari and Bridgestone's strategy before then had been to run a series of sprints.

Now that was an artificial levelling as never before seen.
Good point, i actually had forgotten that.

But i struggle to see it having the same artificial levelling as these Pirelli´s.
You basically have cars that with proper tires should not stand a chance to fight for the championship dominate the championship.
The better job you do as a team the worse you are off in the races. Never seen anything like it before.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

The pit lane here is quite short and cuts the final and first corner. That combined with the ease of overtaking means that if you are marginally on a 1 stop, it might be better to switch to 2 stops.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Also, rain is predicted for the race weekend.

iotar__

SectorOne wrote:The reason Hamilton won last year was because he nailed the strategy.
Mclaren knew from the start which strategy would work while Ferrari stuck with theirs and Vettel did an unscheduled last stop to try and rectify the problems.

This was also the reason Hamilton caught up to Vettel before the first stop. Different strategy.
That's over-simplification. He won because: he nailed qualifying, was fast every time it mattered, Vettel is overrated :wink: , he didn't have the pace in the first stint regardless of strategy, McLaren run their own race, or maybe even because Grosjean started too low and on old tyres and had to make long stint on them. Or maybe because Ferrari+Alonso went for the wrong strategy towards the end. Maybe without all of this he would have won anyway, McLaren was fast enough in the race.

Whatever it was I doubt it has anything to do with Canada 2013. I'm not playing strategy prediction this time after boring one stop Monaco. Based on circuit and nothing else I'm going with Red Bull advantage and win.

SectorOne

iotar__ wrote:That's over-simplification. He won because: he nailed qualifying, was fast every time it mattered, Vettel is overrated :wink: , he didn't have the pace in the first stint regardless of strategy, McLaren run their own race, or maybe even because Grosjean started too low and on old tyres and had to make long stint on them. Or maybe because Ferrari+Alonso went for the wrong strategy towards the end. Maybe without all of this he would have won anyway, McLaren was fast enough in the race.

Whatever it was I doubt it has anything to do with Canada 2013. I'm not playing strategy prediction this time after boring one stop Monaco. Based on circuit and nothing else I'm going with Red Bull advantage and win.
No Vettel nailed Qualifying ;) Hamilton started 2nd.
And Ferrari/Alonso nailed the first pit stop jumping both guys.
The problem was Ferrari and RBR tried to stop one time less, and sure Mclaren was fast enough all race but the key difference that separated the three teams was that Mclaren before the lights went out had their strategy fully locked in.
Red Bull and Ferrari did not. They gambled and it did not pay off.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

godlameroso

It will rain, and the rain will dry, and we will have a very interesting race. With any luck it will rain and Esteban Gutierrez will win, and Grosjean will take out Vettel.
Saishū kōnā

Vasconia

Gerhard Berger wrote:Also, rain is predicted for the race weekend.
Lets call Schumacher and convince him to leave his retirement for one race. :mrgreen:

Canada and rain is the perfect combination, if Charlie doesn’t ruin it.

I expect to see a much stronger Ferrari there, Mercedes and Rb will fight for the pole but Alonso will have a great race pace to presumably win the race.

A lot of people are anticipating a strong performance from Mercedes, but last year they were strong in Monaco but Canada was a back to reality, my only doubt is if this secret test with the new tyres could really change the situation.

Speng
Speng

Don't see RBR doing well at Montreal. Over the years this has become a speed track and RBR never have top speed. I see them getting DRSed to death on the straight. I'm not sure where/if they'll have a second DRS zone but i can't really see RBR overcoming this lack of top speed as it's way easier to pass on the straight than the twisty bits. I also don't see them being able to stop less than the other top teams so their only hope I think is to get out of phase on the pit stops and run hard in free air and get track position via pit stops.

Merc for a win is a possibility as they should qualify well and be difficult to pass and I'll make a WAG that McLaren might do something

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Speng wrote:Don't see RBR doing well at Montreal. Over the years this has become a speed track and RBR never have top speed. I see them getting DRSed to death on the straight. I'm not sure where/if they'll have a second DRS zone but i can't really see RBR overcoming this lack of top speed as it's way easier to pass on the straight than the twisty bits. I also don't see them being able to stop less than the other top teams so their only hope I think is to get out of phase on the pit stops and run hard in free air and get track position via pit stops.

Merc for a win is a possibility as they should qualify well and be difficult to pass and I'll make a WAG that McLaren might do something
RB are not so good in low downforce configuration. They like to run more wing and/or shorter gears. Ferrari on the other hands has been good at low dowforce tracks for the last few years.

motorloon1993
motorloon1993

Gerhard Berger wrote: RB are not so good in low downforce configuration. They like to run more wing and/or shorter gears. Ferrari on the other hands has been good at low dowforce tracks for the last few years.
True The F2012 seemed to be nowhere in the Hungarian grand prix after Hockenhiem and Silverstone where Nando won, I bet he could have won at Spa.

Juzh

motorloon1993 wrote: True The F2012 seemed to be nowhere in the Hungarian grand prix after Hockenhiem and Silverstone where Nando won, I bet he could have won at Spa.
Nando didnt win in silverstone.
Gerhard Berger wrote: RB are not so good in low downforce configuration. They like to run more wing and/or shorter gears. Ferrari on the other hands has been good at low dowforce tracks for the last few years.
You mean they run shallower rear wing. Look at this year's races, or monza 2011. Zero wing with short gears.

oT v1
oT v1

Cant see past a dominating Goujon victory,

Alonso + Vettel DNF

8)
The Power of Dreams

bdr529

Gerhard Berger wrote:Also, rain is predicted for the race weekend.
I wouldn't put to much stock in that prediction, there's a good chance it could be sunny and hot

kooleracer
kooleracer

Quali: Hamilton on pole, Rosberg 2nd, Vettel 3rd.

Race: If Perelli has done a half decent job with the new tyres.

1.Hamilton
2.Rosberg
3.Vettel
4.Webber
5.Alonso
6.Raikonen
7.Massa
8.Grosjean

If not:

1.Alonso
2.Raikonen
3.Vettel
4.Massa
5.Webber
6.Rosberg
7.Hamilton
8.Grosjean.

Pirelli please don't f*** this GP up because this is usually one of the best races on the calender. Think Mercedes and Bull will both do a 2 stop on the prime tyres. While teams like ferrari and lotus will go 1 stop option to prime. No way that Merc will go race on the option tyres, thats asking for trouble in the race on this rear limited track.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

SilverArrow10

If Mercedes are successful here I can see a massive backlash when it comes to the test they did, which would be a real shame. They were always going to be good in Monaco and if they are good here then there's going to be questions. Want Hamilton to bounce back and got pole and win, but im very biased.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle