2013 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

TheRMVR wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Do we think rosberg could have passed vettel on track ?
Ross Brawn said after the race on Sky that Vettel would've won it..
He was talking about when Hamilton had the puncture. When Vettel was leading and Rosberg was 2nd. Vettel was quicker then Nico. Lewis would have won the race, i have no doubts about that.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

mikeerfol

Re: 2013 British GP - Silverstone

turbof1 wrote:I think the big difference is that Rosberg didn't overtook someone during the yellow flag period, rather just went too fast. A reprimand sounds fair enough.
But what about Vettel and Massa getting a drive-through penalty last year at Spain for the same thing?

turbof1

Yeah, those weren't fair, although we don't know if there were any mitigating reasons in the case of Rosberg.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

What a start Massa had today. The guys in front didn't know what hit them when Felipe left his grid position.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

stefan_ wrote:What a start Massa had today. The guys in front didn't know what hit them when Felipe left his grid position.
I must say he had a pretty good race also, without his tire issue he would have been maybe on the podium.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

kooleracer wrote:
TheRMVR wrote:
He was talking about when Hamilton had the puncture. When Vettel was leading and Rosberg was 2nd. Vettel was quicker then Nico. Lewis would have won the race, i have no doubts about that.
So what TheRMVR O_o
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

andartop
andartop

What we saw today was unacceptable.

I don't know if it's Pirelli's fault, a kerb which was too sharp, the totally unexpected for UK sun exposure, a spectator who threw some nails on the track or Bernie with a sniper rifle trying to keep the championship alive, and I am not going to state whose fault I think it was as that would be pure speculation.

But considering how easily races have been red flagged in the past because of rain, or different drivers/teams been punished on safety grounds, I could not believe that they allowed this race to proceed after Massa's puncture. Should have been Indy 2005 all over again.

And I ask you gentlemen, had a horrible accident occurred because of a blown tire and a driver/steward/spectator been killed, wouldn't any judge have enough evidence to hold Charlie Whiting and the FIA responsible for manslaughter? Does it have to come to that for action to be taken?

There's only one way for F1 to save face now, after all this hypocrisy of how much they care about road, track and car safety but still allowing a race like this unfold: suspend F1 racing with these tires until an independent body investigates what we saw today and action is taken to ensure this would not happen again. Anything else is simply not good enough at this stage.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Glyn
Glyn

andartop wrote:What we saw today was unacceptable.

I don't know if it's Pirelli's fault, a kerb which was too sharp, the totally unexpected for UK sun exposure, a spectator who threw some nails on the track or Bernie with a sniper rifle trying to keep the championship alive, and I am not going to state whose fault I think it was as that would be pure speculation.

But considering how easily races have been red flagged in the past because of rain, or different drivers/teams been punished on safety grounds, I could not believe that they allowed this race to proceed after Massa's puncture. Should have been Indy 2005 all over again.

And I ask you gentlemen, had a horrible accident occurred because of a blown tire and a driver/steward/spectator been killed, wouldn't any judge have enough evidence to hold Charlie Whiting and the FIA responsible for manslaughter? Does it have to come to that for action to be taken?

There's only one way for F1 to save face now, after all this hypocrisy of how much they care about road, track and car safety but still allowing a race like this unfold: suspend F1 racing with these tires until an independent body investigates what we saw today and action is taken to ensure this would not happen again. Anything else is simply not good enough at this stage.
Perfect timing for Michellin to come in and be the hero that saves the day. The tyres that you will actually "WANT" to buy.

turbof1

Whiting came close to red flagging the race!

http://www.racer.com/whiting-nearly-sto ... le/301089/
When asked if just one more failure in that phase of the race would have been enough, Whiting replied: "I'm not going to give a specific number. Obviously to clear up all that debris was putting marshals at risk, and it is not satisfactory.

"We haven't seen a failure like this before; we have seen other types of failure - and that is what has been addressed. So we need to analyse it very carefully to see if we can establish the cause."
#AeroFrodo

Mandrake
Mandrake

Webber and more so Hamilton were massively helped by the safety cars in the race. Same counts for Alonso and Kimi who were not performing as I had expected. Without the SCs, Vettel and Rosberg would have dominated the GrandPrix, Vettel possibly only controlling the pace looking at Webber's speed.

Sutil would have finished pretty high up and Alonso would never have reached the podium. For the championship it looks more exciting now, but it was a shame to see Vettel's good work ruined and his main competitors luck into the high points again.

andartop
andartop

Sorry but I am not convinced I could trust Pirelli. As a company, they are here to make money, and they'll say anything to make themselves look innocent. I think an independent investigation is what is needed. FIA should ask Pirelli to allow their own, or some hired, tire experts overview the analysis and all data collected from Silverstone.

As for Whiting, what was he waiting for then? To see if the drivers would park the cars themselves and deny racing with what was clearly unsuitable and unsafe equipment for the specific track/conditions???
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

muhammadtalha-13
muhammadtalha-13

TheRMVR wrote:
Maybe, but Rosberg said that because of turbulent air, it was impossible.

Poleman

I dont think really that anyone got lucky...If anything it was Vettel that was *almost* been gifted the win due to Pirelli...As for the safety cars helping Alonso/Hamilton/Webber as someone above stated,you can blame Vettel for causing the 2nd SC deploy...He had plenty of spots to park his car but no he chose to leave it on the start/finsh straight. I can only assume that this was done in order to help Webber catch up with the pack,get a free pit stop with fresh mediums and a chance to hunt for the win.All in all i believe that everyone got their share of bad luck and i enjoyed watching all of them crawl back at the top and scoring some decent points...It was about time something broke in that "golden" RB.

zonk
zonk

Poleman wrote:I dont think really that anyone got lucky...If anything it was Vettel that was *almost* been gifted the win due to Pirelli...As for the safety cars helping Alonso/Hamilton/Webber as someone above stated,you can blame Vettel for causing the 2nd SC deploy...He had plenty of spots to park his car but no he chose to leave it on the start/finsh straight. I can only assume that this was done in order to help Webber catch up with the pack,get a free pit stop with fresh mediums and a chance to hunt for the win
=D>

NathanOlder

So after the race, I would say that the Mercedes was pretty equal on race pace to the red Bull. Webber and Rosberg finished with equal lap times when both were on the same age tyres. Lewis was fast enough at the start to pull a gap on Vettel. Even at the end of the race, he had some damage (no idea how much) to the floor and he was on older tyres than Alonso, yet he was quicker, he just couldnt get to him in time. So It looks pretty equal between Red Bull & Merc on race pace, but Merc have better Qualy pace.

So is the Merc the best car on the grid now ? who knows. Roll on Germany.

A German wins in Britain, A brit wins in Germany. :)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC