2013 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2013 British GP - Silverstone

LionKing wrote:
iotar__ wrote: If they think Raikkonen can touch Alonso or Hamilton in a similar machinery than this season is going to be even more fun watching.
The last time they were in similar machinery Kimi beat those two to the title :)

Im sure Lewis won the title and Kimi was beaten by his team mate, the last time they were in equal/similar machinery :mrgreen:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Traction

Poleman wrote:I dont think really that anyone got lucky...If anything it was Vettel that was *almost* been gifted the win due to Pirelli...As for the safety cars helping Alonso/Hamilton/Webber as someone above stated,you can blame Vettel for causing the 2nd SC deploy...He had plenty of spots to park his car but no he chose to leave it on the start/finsh straight. I can only assume that this was done in order to help Webber catch up with the pack,get a free pit stop with fresh mediums and a chance to hunt for the win.All in all i believe that everyone got their share of bad luck and i enjoyed watching all of them crawl back at the top and scoring some decent points...It was about time something broke in that "golden" RB.
[...] It was clear he drove his car as far as it would get him...that it ended up where it did was pure coincidence...to try and construe some conspiracy theory out of his mishap is pure Vettel bashing... [...]
Last edited by Traction on 30 Jun 2013, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

komninosm
komninosm

beelsebob wrote:
komninosm wrote:Did they really have to put out a second safety car for Vettel? It seemed out of the way to me, they could even push it to an exit easy.
Yeh, I didn't really understand why they didn't just leave it there either.
Probably for safety reasons. Tires are known to explode in straights in F1 and then a car might hit Vettel's car and not the safety barriers :p

NathanOlder

Like Martin Brundle said, Its easy for a car to drop it on the exit of Club, and if you do lose it there, its a strong possibility that your car would spin across the track into the barrier right where Vettel had stopped.

BUT I do think they could have covered it with double waved yellows and pushed his car back onto the grass inside Club corner.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

radosav
radosav

NathanOlder wrote:Like Martin Brundle said, Its easy for a car to drop it on the exit of Club, and if you do lose it there, its a strong possibility that your car would spin across the track into the barrier right where Vettel had stopped.

BUT I do think they could have covered it with double waved yellows and pushed his car back onto the grass inside Club corner.
And then comes Nico Rosberg and wipes out Vettel's car with marshalls , and gets reprimend!

aral
aral

It may have been said before, but the cheering of "fans" when Vettels car gave up the ghost, was a poor show.

Guisson

This is a Disgrace as Drogba said ..
Pirelli must solve their tyre problems asap ! But I still don't Understand why these sudden punctures happened ..
Could it be possible that they were related to the driving style ? ( Agressive Driving from Hamilton - Massa and Perez )
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

NathanOlder

gilgen wrote:It may have been said before, but the cheering of "fans" when Vettels car gave up the ghost, was a poor show.
The british fans just follow the thoughts of the likes of Hamilton, Alonso and co. Vettel is only there because of the car. So when the car lets go...... YAAAAAAYYYYYY =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

LionKing
LionKing

turbof1 wrote:Yeah, those weren't fair, although we don't know if there were any mitigating reasons in the case of Rosberg.
Mitigating reasons such as being in a Mercedes :)

WhiteBlue

The race was very entertaining but for all the wrong reasons. With hindsight one has to blame Mallya, Domenicali and Bullier for the stance they took on denying the use of Kevlar instead of steel reinforcements. But I equally blame Pirelli who did not admit that they had a safety problem and the FiA who let the situation deteriorate to the points where drivers and marshals were putting their lives at risk. David Coulthard called the tyres "driver killers" and he is quite right.

I can feel with Massa who got hurt by flying debris in Hungary some years ago and must have been in total shock to see things flying through the air and bad things happening all over again. Although the problem meant heart break by ruining their races to many drivers we have to thank the racing gods that nothing more happened.

I'm particularly disappointed for Kimi who lost a nice P2 to his team making the wrong pit call. I would not be surprised if that influences his decision over the 2014 drive. Sutil had a similar experience with the pit call but he did not get over ruled as Kimi did and accepted that he lost a potential podium.

Alonso and Ferrari got lucky twice in this race. First the red team leader managed to escape a puncture or blow up and getting involved in a collision with various debris and then his arch rival had a gear box failure. A weekend with dismal performance was turned into a nice catch up exercise in the drivers championship.

For Seb it was another race in the mould of Korea 2010 or Valencia and Monza 2013. By now he knows that he will regularly get failures that drop him out of races he leads. One simply has to deal with it. But is is not nice to see so many problems on Newey's fast cars. I'm very sorry for him, but at least it will keep the championship interesting.

Congratulations to the podium drivers of the race. Nico did run a determined race and made all the right calls. Webber drove fantastically after another messed up start. I almost could not believe my eyes when I saw the start. He later complained to the team. Does he think they deliberately misinform him on the procedure or sabotage his car? Alonso was lucky but deserved it for his endless struggle to reach higher finishes than the car deserves.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Regle
Regle

beelsebob wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Reprimand for Rosberg, speeding under yellow.
Really?

The silver boys must have someone on their pocket to get everytime only a reprimand...

Normally this is simply a +20s. :wtf:
In general, the stewards don't like to alter the podium.
Turning into the first law of Formula 1 punishments: if you do something wrong, try to get on the podium. All because people and media complain about drivers getting points after the race and treat it like cheating. If you are rightfully punished during the race, you're an idiot. If you are rightfully punished after the race, you're the victim of politics…

Has anybody got a clip of that in my opinion unsafe release for ALO? Would like to see it again, I was pretty sure at that time that they were going to be punished for that, and I'm still quite sure that Toro Rosso or Marussia would have been.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

That was a nice race. The championship isn't looking like a cake walk for Vettel anymore. Mercedes seems to be rounding into great form at the moment.

max_speed
max_speed

NathanOlder wrote:
gilgen wrote:It may have been said before, but the cheering of "fans" when Vettels car gave up the ghost, was a poor show.
The british fans just follow the thoughts of the likes of Hamilton, Alonso and co. Vettel is only there because of the car. So when the car lets go...... YAAAAAAYYYYYY =D>
why poor show ? hamilton can have his share of bad luck , when alonso retires veteel fans can scream, check history and i bet
everytime webber starts next or head of vettel , he gets a poor start and that is always blamed to bad luck.

i strongly feel redbull does tht on purpose BUT if bad luck strike vettel, Brits and other have all right to cheer.

sknguy
sknguy

Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and others had a pretty racy day. But although the final result wasn't there, and all things in the race considered, I was most impressed with Massa's race. Starting 11th he made it to 6th position before the end of the first lap. Unfortunately the tire failure early on the 10th lap saw him shuffled down to the back of the field... 22nd. In the end made he up for what the tire failure took away and he finished the race in 6th. A quick 'n dirty calc says he passed 21 cars today. Regardless, not a bad day at all.

myurr
myurr

sknguy wrote:Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and others had a pretty racy day. But although the final result wasn't there, and all things in the race considered, I was most impressed with Massa's race. Starting 11th he made it to 6th position before the end of the first lap. Unfortunately the tire failure early on the 10th lap saw him shuffled down to the back of the field... 22nd. In the end made he up for what the tire failure took away and he finished the race in 6th. A quick 'n dirty calc says he passed 21 cars today. Regardless, not a bad day at all.
Agree. As Hamilton had, in my view, race winning pace today he was my driver of the day. But Massa was a very close second, closely followed by Webber.