Marshall accident in Canada

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Marshall accident in Canada

RubberSoul wrote:I just read that in road design the perception-reaction time is taken to be 2.5 s and it was said that this time will accommodate 90% of the drivers. If the crane was moving with a speed of 2 m/s or 7.2 km/h, then in 2.5 s it moved 5 m, which might be considered the minimum safety distance here (actually it doesn’t include the maneuver time and the corresponding braking distance, which is however short with this speed, probably less than 0.5 m).
Makes sense to me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

stefan_
stefan_

Re: Marshall accident in Canada

It's not about the marshal in Canada, but related to marshals.

Isn't the procedure saying that the driver should get out of the car in order for the car to be removed/lifted? They lifted up Carmen Jorda with the car after she went off in Spain on Sunday.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Scootin159
Scootin159

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

bdr529 wrote: I know Its easy to think that because were under snow for most of the year that they must not know what they are doing.
I can assure you that they are well trained, the Marshals for the F1 race in Montreal come from all over Canada and the US
I too can vouch for this - the marshal's are likely some of the most highly trained on the calendar outside of Europe (and even then, it's hit & miss). To be accepted as a marshal for the Montreal GP, you need to send in a resume of your marshaling experience - and you had better have some good credits on there. With only two F1 races in North America, you're being selected from a huge pool of applicants - only the *best of the best* are going to be getting in.

The people I know who have volunteered there before all had years of experience working races for IRL, ALMS, Grand Am, SCCA and many other "lesser" rungs on the ladder. These guys literally have hundreds of days experience before they arrive, as they are working a race somewhere in the country nearly every weekend all summer long.