Tearoffs should not be allowed...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
peanutaxis
peanutaxis

Tearoffs should not be allowed...

...to be chucked out of the car in my opinion. It's just not good etiquette to be throwing stuff onto the race track and into the cooling ducts of others.

Cam

Re: Tearoffs should not be allowed...

As opposed to being blind and running into something at 320kph......

Edit: a positive spin, maybe a hydrophobic coating on the visor would suffice? Not sure if that's possible.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

astracrazy
astracrazy

:lol: really...

Richard
Richard

Is this a disgruntled fan? So who had a cooling duct blocked with a tear off in Montreal?

j2004p
j2004p

Maybe have a little litter bag in the cockpit :lol:

MOWOG

Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

stefan_
stefan_

Or something like this

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Steven
Owner

Interesting suggestions for sure, and it's certainly not such a bad idea at all.
One must be able to think of an easy way to put these tearoffs under the seat somehow. A sticky area when a driver could stick them onto perhaps?

On the other hand, with tear offs being thrown out, I find it quite peculiar that I don't know of any incident where a tearoff got stuck in the airbox. I can imagine if such would stick onto the inlet filter of the engine, a lot of engine power is lost. But for some reason (even though the airbox sucks air in) it didn't happen before (I think).

Another interesting thing is that in 2014, sidepod air inlets will likely be bigger due to the higher cooling demands, making them more prone to catch up items like this.

mnmracer
mnmracer

I believe van der Garde had an overheating issue because tearoffs were blocking the inside of his sidepods.

astracrazy
astracrazy

if you don't want tear offs going into your cooling ducts, then make sure your at the front 8) (slight twist on a Kimi comment)

scuderiafan

Banning tearoffs would improve overtaking.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

raymondu999

Tomba wrote:On the other hand, with tear offs being thrown out, I find it quite peculiar that I don't know of any incident where a tearoff got stuck in the airbox. I can imagine if such would stick onto the inlet filter of the engine, a lot of engine power is lost. But for some reason (even though the airbox sucks air in) it didn't happen before (I think).
However - there was initial speculation that this was indeed what had transpired to Sebastian Vettel's car in Monza 2010, when he suddenly complained of a loss of power, just enough to (suspiciously) just let Mark Webber past. Mind you it was later cleared out as a brake binding issue rather than a clogged airbox.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandamasque

Cam wrote:As opposed to being blind and running into something at 320kph......
Just put em in the glove box.

zonk
zonk

maybe something like the speedway goggles:

with a roll-off

strad

they usually try to tear them off in pit lane as over the years a few have tossed them into their own ducts.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss