2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cuky

Re: 2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

To answer thread's question:

Yes, they do sound right. They sound similar (or even better) to how engines in first turbo era have sounded

Holm86

WilliamsF1 wrote:Turbo I4 sounds ok!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XPDNAk8MX8
Sounds fine to me too. This is a better video where you can hear it going through gears :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK43z_mHuck[/youtube]

But I'm also pretty sure the V6 engines will sound good when they get to the track.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Those sound terrible to me tbh.

Sounds like a saloon car series :lol:

bhall
bhall

Mercedes simulated a lap of Monza with the new V6. I think it sounds like ---.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebpkJXJ7CFo[/youtube]

xpensive
xpensive

First time I've seen the above image, can anyone xplain that strange looking turbo-layout, or is that just another smokescreen?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mep

Sounds very artificial to me.
I wonder if it is a real recording or a generated sound.
It is just like the sounds in race simulations. I never really feel they match reality. Also there is that strange constant “flush noise”. I wonder where that is coming from. Maybe low sampling rate?

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

mep wrote:Sounds very artificial to me.
It is just like the sounds in race simulations. I never really feel they match reality. Also there is that strange constant “flush noise”. I wonder where that is coming from. Maybe low sampling rate?
It's not a constant sound, so it's not a recording.

It doesn't sound 'hooverish' enough to be gas rush (where flow goes turbulent in the exhaust). So I'd put my money on turbo hiss becuase it seems to be worse when accelerating from low rpm. This makes some sense as they are running high boost pressures with relatively low mass flow, so they would be getting some marginal surge.

CBeck113
CBeck113

xpensive wrote:First time I've seen the above image, can anyone xplain that strange looking turbo-layout, or is that just another smokescreen?
The turbo may land there, but for all intents and purposes that is a smokescreen. Just like the size of the 7th/8th gear (can't really tell how many they used but I believe I heard 7, which would mean they did use 8 since they didn't have a standing start) - they won't have the gearing pinned down until the engine spec is absolutely clear.

I think it sound interesting, not as badly as I expected, anyway. I hope the off throttle sound is a bit more "mechanical" in the flesh, although the MGUH will dampen it.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

xpensive
xpensive

CBeck113 wrote:
xpensive wrote:First time I've seen the above image, can anyone xplain that strange looking turbo-layout, or is that just another smokescreen?
The turbo may land there, but for all intents and purposes that is a smokescreen.
That striped section between the turbine and compressor housings cannot possibly be the MGU-H, can it?

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:
The turbo may land there, but for all intents and purposes that is a smokescreen.
That striped section between the turbine and compressor housings cannot possibly be the MGU-H, can it?
In that design it clearly is. But the design may be schematic. The compressor and the turbine should be dual flooded and they are not. IMO the Merc final version can look very different to what we see now. But it is an entirely legitimate design to have the MGU between the two turbo machines. It has the added benefit that you can use one cooling system for the MGU and the shaft bearings. A hint that this is not the real thing is the lack of elements that could hold the bearings. Caterpillar btw. uses the same design. It sure minimises the shaft length. I have my doubts if the volume of the unit shown in this rendering is appropriate for the power the MGU is supposed to handle. It looks smallish to me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

mep wrote:Sounds very artificial to me.
Mercedes claims in the youtube comments it's real.

"This is the "real sound" as captured in our dyno test cell at Brixworth. But a dyno has plenty of limitations when used as a recording studio..."

"...it's a full recording of the lap in the test cell."
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

xpensive
xpensive

If that striped mid-section is supposed to be the MGU-H, which I seriously doubt is a realistic image, I find it hard to believe you can squeeze 120 kW from it?

mep

xpensive wrote:If that striped mid-section is supposed to be the MGU-H, which I seriously doubt is a realistic image, I find it hard to believe you can squeeze 120 kW from it?
I don’t think they are obliged to recover that amount of power from the exhaust. If they figure out that the rule is impractical they might go for a smaller unit. Let’s just estimate this 120kW from an engine which might have around 500kW does not sound to be realistic IMHO. I guess something like 5-10% of engine power would already be a lot.
xxChrisxx wrote: It's not a constant sound, so it's not a recording.
It doesn't sound 'hooverish' enough to be gas rush (where flow goes turbulent in the exhaust). So I'd put my money on turbo hiss becuase it seems to be worse when accelerating from low rpm. This makes some sense as they are running high boost pressures with relatively low mass flow, so they would be getting some marginal surge.
I don’t really get what you try to say. So you say it is not a recording. So therefore it has to be at least edited or be a result of a simulation??
Then you don’t think it comes from gas rush but from turbo hiss?
I thought the sound of turbos is much higher in pitch where this flush sound reminds me more of airflow. Apart from that it might be some result of the special environment in on the dyno. Maybe exhaust gases flowing through a pipe out of the test section. Or just that the microphone quality is bad or not able to represent some of the sound.

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

xxChrisxx wrote: It's not a constant sound, so it's not a recording.
I don’t really get what you try to say. So you say it is not a recording. So therefore it has to be at least edited or be a result of a simulation??
Then you don’t think it comes from gas rush but from turbo hiss?
I thought the sound of turbos is much higher in pitch where this flush sound reminds me more of airflow. Apart from that it might be some result of the special environment in on the dyno. Maybe exhaust gases flowing through a pipe out of the test section. Or just that the microphone quality is bad or not able to represent some of the sound.
Doh... i meant to say its not a recording issue. Missed a bloody vital word out!

As in that sound you hear is a real one, and it sounds like turbo hiss. As you say it sounds like air flow, which is why I mentioned gas rush.

High pitched noise that turbos make is more of a whine.

Holm86

WhiteBlue wrote: In that design it clearly is. But the design may be schematic. The compressor and the turbine should be dual flooded and they are not. IMO the Merc final version can look very different to what we see now. But it is an entirely legitimate design to have the MGU between the two turbo machines. It has the added benefit that you can use one cooling system for the MGU and the shaft bearings. A hint that this is not the real thing is the lack of elements that could hold the bearings. Caterpillar btw. uses the same design. It sure minimises the shaft length. I have my doubts if the volume of the unit shown in this rendering is appropriate for the power the MGU is supposed to handle. It looks smallish to me.
Why should both the compressor and turbine be dual flooded?? They turbine surely should as the exhaust comes from two exhaust manifolds. But the compressor housing would only be "dual flooded" if there is two intercoolers. I don't think they will run two intercoolers. Of course they could but IMO they wont.
I don't see what is strange? And I'm a bit surprised that you of all people haven't seen that photo before :) Its very old. Came out just after Renault showed their engine renders which I believe is almost half a year ago :)

But I listened to the Renault sound file just after I heard Mercedes sound file. And the Renault sounds much rougher. I believe Mercedes has done some editing to prevent people like on this forum to do too much analysis on the sound. As Mercedes shows a in car lap at the same time as the sound it is easier to analyze than the Renault clip where we don't know what part of the track the sound file is taken from.