Favorite Current Driver and Why?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sennafan24
sennafan24

Re: Favorite Current Driver and Why?

Fair play to Sector one above, for conceding his favorite is not in his opinion the best. Enjoying the feedback guys, interesting perspectives.

tim|away
tim|away

I don't have any driver I root for in particular, but I seem to have a weak spot for the underdog and the No #2 driver within a team. It's just exciting to watch the joy and drama (amongst the media and fans) unfold when Rosberg beats Hamilton or Webber beats Vettel or Massa beats Alonso - it doesn't really happen all that often, but I certainly love it when it happens. Somehow I find No #2 drivers much more likeable in almost all cases - the odd exception being Kimi (I can't get myself to prefer Grosjean over Kimi).

If I had to name one driver, I would probably go with Bottas. He doesn't have the impressive resumé that some of the other guys have and still has to show his speed, but I love the way he's conducting himself in such a calm and professional manner without making a fuss about himself at all or anyone else.

gray41

Lewis Hamilton and for the same reasons others have mentioned, the fastest but not necessarily the best overall driver out there.

I still have love for Kimi after his McLaren days.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Rikhart
Rikhart

Kimi Raikkonen, the only driver that has the honour of having a nickname... Cant beat all the mythos around him, after schumacher left, the rest are as drab as a white towel.

Helios

First post, and just found an appropriate thread. :)

My favourite driver has always been the great Michael Schumacher, but when he retired I kind of lost interest in F1 for 2 years. Then in early 2009 I somehow started to keep my fingers crossed for Lewis Hamilton, because despite having a dog of a car in early '09 he was doing very well in my opinion. So, since early 2009 I'm a Hamilton-fan and although it's quite depressing to see his talent being wasted year by year by either an uncompetitive car or the team or himself, I still root for him and always will.

What I like about him is his driving style and the fact that he's a proper racer. It's always entertaining to watch him in close combat with other drivers. What I don't like about him is his gangsta rapper attitude (embarassing), the on-off relationship with Nicole (embarassing) and his tweeting habits (extra-embarassing).

flynfrog

Bernd Maylander

When hes on track no one can pass him.

Morteza

flynfrog wrote:Bernd Maylander

That is very reasonable. Good one :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mika1
Mika1

Lewis Hamilton, his Q pace is amazing and I like his driving style.
The boss follows me on twitter.

xDama
xDama

Kimi Raikkonen.

The most natural talented.
The most honest.
The driver with the least amount of bullshit and drama.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Hangaku

I think the most exciting driver is Hamilton.
The driver that I regard as the best on track is Alonso, by a margin.
The least exciting driver, I would consider to be Button or Vettel :mrgreen:
Yer.

stefan_
stefan_

flynfrog wrote:Bernd Maylander

Well played :)
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Richard
Richard

xpensive wrote:Yes! Finally the ultimate fanboy-thread, Lord knows how I have been waiting for this, thank you sennafan.
Its almost like a confessional. I'm impressed it is so well mannered. I'll leave it open if it stays that way.

I must admit that I'm one of the heathens without an undue emotional attachment for the drivers. I have admiration of their talent, but not the fanboi love.

wesley123
wesley123

Since I dont really follow the races themselves anymore I dont really have a "favorite" driver. I prefer Lewis Hamilton above others, but I dont feel like he is better than others or anything. He is still growing and now with Mercedes he has to learn to work for himself, instead getting carried by McLaren for the whole time. He is quick, but is far from perfect. He has his stupid moments(for example uploading his telemetry for all of twitter to see) but compared to 2011 and before he has been much more consistent on track.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Helios

xDama wrote:Kimi Raikkonen.

The most natural talented.
Arguable.

raymondu999

My personal favorite would have to be Vettel. Personally I'm not someone who enjoys watching "fightbacks" - because inevitably that means you must have cocked something up to "fight back" from. On the flipside, I see domination as an exercise in perfect implementation, so if 1 driver can do an untouchable weekend, let alone as often as Seb - then that to me is fantastic. Even more so if done when being hounded by a faster package (eg Spain 2011/Germany 2013)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法