How Would You Change Formula 1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: How Would You Change Formula 1?

strad wrote:I think the point was, How the hell are you supposed to see them. Or are you supposed to have ESP.
Mandate huge mirrors perhaps? The aero guys would love that. :lol:
The same way the drivers already see them. Kimi didn't hit hamilton in Monza, Schumacher didn't hit him in Monaco in 2011, and Kimi clearly knew Perez was there in Monaco 2013. Clearly the drivers are already perfectly capable of knowing these moves are happening.

Note also, this rule gives no requirement to leave space along side until they're along side. So they only actually have to be aware of what's along side them – which is entirely reasonable to expect from the most talented drivers in the world ;)

Pingguest
Pingguest

1. Introduce a downforce limit, but leave design free apart from a number of geometric limits;
2. Complete freedom regarding drive-train;
3. Abolish all rules resulting in a standardization, homologation and equalization, including the post-qualifying parc fermé;
4. Ban mid-race tyre changes;
5. One 60 minutes free-for-all qualifying session.

Nebhotep

-Steel brakes
-As much of random-standardized parts as possible(tires, ECUs, etc.)-my solution to the budget cap
-Stable rules(I admit this one is relative...)
-clearer rules for circuits being on the calendar

maranello55
maranello55

f1 last time was a knighty, gladiatoral life n death venture.
f1 now is a tv show + concert

f1316
f1316

I still miss refuelling.

I know why they got rid of it and why they won't bring it back, but if *I* were to change one thing, it'd be that.

I liked it because:
A) it kept you guessing; you didn't fully know the relative pace until after first stops
B) you could take different strategies; if, like current Ferrari/lotus you were better in race than quali, you'd do something different to get track position

MOWOG

There's nothing inherently dangerous about refueling. NASCAR does it and I don't recall them having a plethora of pit lane fires.

Pumping the fuel under high pressure using special fueling rigs designed for filling up helicopters in a hurry under battle conditions and using special valves that were prone to failure is dangerous. The sport could have easily kept refueling and adopted a safer system. It would have been slower though, and the PTB believe for some reason that sub 3 second pit stops are what draw fans to the sport. So instead of simply fixing the problem, they opted to remove one of the race elements that requires one thing that race fans really DO appreciate - strategy. Fools. :-" ](*,)
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

feni_remmen
feni_remmen

Easy. If you leave everything else alone; don't let the team communicate with the driver via any means except pit boards!

antiuser

Introduce min/max sizes for front and rear wings.
Engine capacity and fuel tank size limited, engine layout open.
2 tyre compounds per event, tyre changes are optional
In addition to preseason testing, teams have X amount of test days to use when/where (as long as it's a FIA-homologated track) they wish during the year.
No more silly punishments, drivers can do donuts and pick up flags to celebrate.
Allow entrants to run only 1 car if they wish.
Bring back the 2003-09 point system.
Ban DRS.

rich1701
rich1701

Introduce more titanium skid blocks to produce more sparks.
Ban drivers from using more than 1 helmet design per season.
Reduce the minimum amount of laps the safety car remains on track after an incident has cleared.
Allow teams to use different compounds of tyres on each side of the car during a race.
Allow smaller teams to run v8 engines alongside the new turbos.
Increase the width of the rear tyres by 2.5cm.
Bring back the 1 straight hour qualifying format with 12 lap limit.
Increase the total power output of the drive train to 900bhp
Ban DRS.

zeph
zeph

feni_remmen wrote:Easy. If you leave everything else alone; don't let the team communicate with the driver via any means except pit boards!
I concur. Although I have previously discussed this idea with the modification that race stewards have a one-way radio comm with the drivers to inform them of flags, situations , SC and penalties.

dsrankin
dsrankin

Open up the rules for the engines giving the manufacturers more freedom and horsepower. Smaller wings and reduced downforce all around to bring the driver back into the equation. Maybe even harder tires...watching more powerful cars on the edge is sorely missed. Steel brakes would also help lengthen the braking zones and encourage passing.

FJH1979
FJH1979

# Newbie ALERT!!!!

I suggest three changes that I think would increase the spectacle of F1.

1. I would have the FIA supply a standard (much smaller than current) front wing, rear wing and diffuser to all the teams at the start of practice at each race, thereby massively reducing the aero development costs on things such as vortex generator.

2. The funds saved on aero could then be spent on engine and suspension development. Engine rules freed up to allow a for any configuration and number of cylinders with a limit only on the cubic capacity.

3. Increase the wheel rim size from 13" to at least 15" to limit the role of the tyre side wall and carcass construction in the suspension of the car.

Trocola
Trocola

No rev limit on engines
3 mandatory pit stops

diffuser

Many of these suggestions are just silly. People often loose track that many of these rules are put in place to keeps cars on the tracks and out of the stands.

I like where F1 is going with regards to technical rules. I think they are getting it right, in part because Team engineers have input into those rules.
I don't care for DRS but understand it is needed to offset tire wear and aero effects.

I like the 100kg fuel limit(and the likely hood that the limit will drop in future years), it will drive F1 in the right direction. I think the new aero changes just are....

I'd like to see a aero lock down. They can make as many changes they want until the first race... Maybe before the first race and once more before the start of the 2nd half of the season.

One of my pet peeves and someone mentioned this earlier in the blog (although I think they went too far) is that tracks need to be modified to make passing easier. Tracks like Monaco, Hungary, Singapore are impossible to pass on and everybody knows it. Those tracks (there are others) need to be modified in some way to make passing possible. Racing isn't racing if you can't pass.

wesley123
wesley123

diffuser wrote:One of my pet peeves and someone mentioned this earlier in the blog (although I think they went too far) is that tracks need to be modified to make passing easier.
There is more to racing than just overtaking each other. Certainly in a teamsport like formula 1.
Tracks like Monaco, Hungary, Singapore are impossible to pass on and everybody knows it. Those tracks (there are others) need to be modified in some way to make passing possible.
Those tracks have seen enough overtaking in the past.
Racing isn't racing if you can't pass.
So a game of soccer which ends up 0-0 isn't soccer anymore?. A game of golf without a hole-in-one isn't golf anymore? etc. etc. etc.

And you can easily pass, the drivers just choose not to, and why should they? Why should you overtake someone when you can just wait for DRS and cruise past someone? Seems like a much easier solution to me.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender