Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bdr529

Re: Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

I'd like to say 19-0 for Vettel, but crazy things happen in qualifying and during the race, so he's bound to finish ahead of Vettel once or twice.
I think he should be fighting for spots 5-10 next year

PlatinumZealot

Ricciardo was only a tenth of Vettel in the Silverstone tests and that is why he was deemed as "very quick" and "competitive" with Vettel. I think Ricciardo will surprise us, matching Vettel most races and bettering him in a handful.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:Ricciardo was only a tenth of Vettel in the Silverstone tests and that is why he was deemed as "very quick" and "competitive" with Vettel. I think Ricciardo will surprise us, matching Vettel most races and bettering him in a handful.
Wasn't he 3 tenths off? Then beached the car in the gravel for good measure early on?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aussiegman
aussiegman

Vettel will outscore Ricciardo in 2014,. All he needs to do is show he is a solid No:2 and competitive against the other runners. So the question is not can he beat Vettel but can he stay close to him to help secure the Constructors Championship. RBR in Vettel have their No:1, they don;t want them fighting each other, but ahead of the pack.

So I think Ricciardo's big challenge is Alonso, Hamilton, Rosberg, Kimi, Button et al are. If he starts beating Vettel great but I don't think that is the goal. Stay close and beat the pack to secure the constructors. Maybe a win and definitely podiums are required but that's it...

Solid and secure would be my target for 2014
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

SectorOne

If Ricciardo´s goal is not to go after Vettel straight away then he might as well give the seat to someone else.
Even though he will be further away before he get acclimatized (theoretically) he should still have one goal from the start, that is to go after Vettel with everything you got in every session you can.

might as well pack your bags otherwise.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Glyn
Glyn

These are the times Red Bull regret Webber leaving. I doubt anyone is highly confident Ricciardo can compete on Webber's level from the outset.

mnmracer
mnmracer

Glyn wrote:These are the times Red Bull regret Webber leaving. I doubt anyone is highly confident Ricciardo can compete on Webber's level from the outset.
Even if true, they don't need to. They know they can win the WDC (of which there is only one to win) with Vettel, and if Ricciardo is good enough from the outset, they'll secure the WCC. But if they don't think of their future now, they will face a large gap, and a much bigger problem, once Vettel leaves.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

mnmracer wrote:
Glyn wrote:These are the times Red Bull regret Webber leaving. I doubt anyone is highly confident Ricciardo can compete on Webber's level from the outset.
Even if true, they don't need to. They know they can win the WDC (of which there is only one to win) with Vettel, and if Ricciardo is good enough from the outset, they'll secure the WCC. But if they don't think of their future now, they will face a large gap, and a much bigger problem, once Vettel leaves.
Not true. Without Webber's overtake at Silverstone last year, Vettel would not have won the title.

bdr529

I'll be interested in seeing how Ricciardo fares against Jean-Éric Vergne over the last 8 races,
now that he has a contract for next year maybe he'll be a little more aggressive

SectorOne

mnmracer wrote:Even if true, they don't need to. They know they can win the WDC (of which there is only one to win) with Vettel, and if Ricciardo is good enough from the outset, they'll secure the WCC. But if they don't think of their future now, they will face a large gap, and a much bigger problem, once Vettel leaves.
I think you forget a very fundamental aspect to winning WDC´s and WCC´s.

Every driver on this planet needs a good car. There´s no getting around that.
You might snatch a win or a podium here or there but you won´t win championships without a very good car.
Seems you assume they will just win every year which is ambitious to say the least.

So with that in mind, Glyn does have a point/opinion worth taking into account.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mnmracer
mnmracer

Gerhard Berger wrote:
mnmracer wrote:
Not true. Without Webber's overtake at Silverstone last year, Vettel would not have won the title.
There's more than just Silverstone and Alonso, which would give Alonso 7 points.
If Webber was less-skilled and would not have finished ahead of Vettel, Vettel would have 9 points extra.

Just saying, it's not quite that simple.

mnmracer
mnmracer

SectorOne wrote:
mnmracer wrote:Even if true, they don't need to. They know they can win the WDC (of which there is only one to win) with Vettel, and if Ricciardo is good enough from the outset, they'll secure the WCC. But if they don't think of their future now, they will face a large gap, and a much bigger problem, once Vettel leaves.
I think you forget a very fundamental aspect to winning WDC´s and WCC´s.

Every driver on this planet needs a good car. There´s no getting around that.
You might snatch a win or a podium here or there but you won´t win championships without a very good car.
Seems you assume they will just win every year which is ambitious to say the least.

So with that in mind, Glyn does have a point/opinion worth taking into account.
Just saying, it's maybe a 1-year investment, that (if works out) will give them a better future.
It's an investment I too would have made.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

mnmracer wrote:

There's more than just Silverstone and Alonso, which would give Alonso 7 points.
If Webber was less-skilled and would not have finished ahead of Vettel, Vettel would have 9 points extra.

I assume those points come from promoting Vettel by one position at China, Silverstone, Monaco and Brazil. Of course you also have to promote Alonso by one position in each of those races (except Brazil).

SectorOne

mnmracer wrote:There's more than just Silverstone and Alonso, which would give Alonso 7 points.

I think we all would agree that Hamilton would be champ in 2012 if we start picking out the bad luck from drivers.
I think you even came to that conclusion yourself.
mnmracer wrote:Just saying, it's maybe a 1-year investment, that (if works out) will give them a better future.
It's an investment I too would have made.
Actually it´s a 3 year investment.
Whether Ricciardo will be be as good as Webber is pure speculation.

If i was RBR i would have snatched Kimi faster then you can say Ricciardo.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

raymondu999 wrote:
n smikle wrote:Ricciardo was only a tenth of Vettel in the Silverstone tests and that is why he was deemed as "very quick" and "competitive" with Vettel. I think Ricciardo will surprise us, matching Vettel most races and bettering him in a handful.
Wasn't he 3 tenths off? Then beached the car in the gravel for good measure early on?
He was actually 2-3 tenths faster than Vettel on the Silverstone test, red bull insiders said that the car was ''of comparative specification - same fuel load, tyres, etc - and in similar conditions (albeit on a different day).'' Which was probably why the beaching of the car was overlooked.

Not that I think a test matters. And not that I think Ricciardo's race craft is anywhere close Vettel's standard.