Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

mnmracer wrote:
beelsebob wrote:It's getting very hard to argue at this point that Vettel is faster than Ricciardo.
You actually think Ricciardo was faster today?
Yes, he started behind, kept up at all times, got past with pit stops, and then drove away.

mnmracer
mnmracer

beelsebob wrote:
mnmracer wrote:
beelsebob wrote:It's getting very hard to argue at this point that Vettel is faster than Ricciardo.
You actually think Ricciardo was faster today?
Yes, he started behind, kept up at all times, got past with pit stops, and then drove away.
He was 7 seconds behind until Vettel got stuck behind Hülkenberg.
Do you believe Ricciardo would have made up that gap if not for being handed 6.3 seconds that way? If so, based on what?

beelsebob
beelsebob

mnmracer wrote:He was 7 seconds behind until Vettel got stuck behind Hülkenberg.
Do you believe Ricciardo would have made up that gap if not for being handed 6.3 seconds that way? If so, based on what?
Yes I do, based on the fact that he was running a different strategy, and should naturally have been slower at that point in the race.

mnmracer
mnmracer

beelsebob wrote:
mnmracer wrote:He was 7 seconds behind until Vettel got stuck behind Hülkenberg.
Yes I do, based on the fact that he was running a different strategy, and should naturally have been slower at that point in the race.
Really? Care to elaborate? Perhaps support it with evidence?

beelsebob
beelsebob

mnmracer wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
The evidence is that he and Vettel stopped at different times ;)

mnmracer
mnmracer

beelsebob wrote:
mnmracer wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Yes I do, based on the fact that he was running a different strategy, and should naturally have been slower at that point in the race.
The evidence is that he and Vettel stopped at different times ;)
1 lap apart.

turbof1

I think it's actually difficult to tell which one was better (when we don't look at their respectable finish positions). Both were tucked away behind Perez for a long while. True Ricciardo got the jump on Vettel through the pitstops, but that was due different strategies. It played eventually well with that force india acting like a glorified safety car.

As far as I'm concerned, both did an amazing job. They were faster then Williams and Force India.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

mnmracer wrote: 1 lap apart.
Which is normal practice. If anything ric had the better strategy because you're actually at a disadvantage if you pit first because you've got cold tires.

mnmracer
mnmracer

Juzh wrote:
mnmracer wrote: 1 lap apart.
Which is normal practice. If anything ric had the better strategy because you're actually at a disadvantage if you pit first because you've got cold tires.
Hence I'm saying it's ridiculous to claim different strategies.

Vettel was upset for weird pitstop calls for good reason. Bottas lost 5 seconds just because of pitting a lap too early.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

mnmracer wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
mnmracer wrote: You actually think Ricciardo was faster today?
Based on the fact that Ric started behind Vet and finished in front of him :D

That means he completed the race in a shorter amount of time than Vet

Too easy... :mrgreen:

mnmracer
mnmracer

JimClarkFan wrote:
mnmracer wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Yes, he started behind, kept up at all times, got past with pit stops, and then drove away.
Based on the fact that Ric started behind Vet and finished in front of him :D

That means he completed the race in a shorter amount of time than Vet

Too easy... :mrgreen:
So you're arguing he made up 6 seconds because he won the race? :wtf:
Or does your failure to actually address the question mean you don't have an explanation either?

loweyz

Hmmm I can understand your annoyance at the aussie but first driver makes the call on pit entry hence why rosberg called first pit over Hamilton good luck with you argument but the results are way too clear, I still think theres little difference between the 2 both are driving the a** off the renault
The problem with a rat race is, even if you win your stiil a rat.

mnmracer
mnmracer

loweyz wrote:Hmmm I can understand your annoyance at the aussie but first driver makes the call on pit entry hence why rosberg called first pit over Hamilton good luck with you argument but the results are way too clear
I don't think Vettel would be arguing like he did if the call was not (mostly) Red Bull's part.

Nothing of that has anything to do with Ricciardo being gifted 6.3 seconds.
Great race by Ricciardo and great to see him take his first win, but you can't claim he was better because you ignore a 6.3 second gift. One can discuss relative performance taking that into consideration, but you can not ignore it and say "just look at the results".
loweyz wrote:I still think theres little difference between the 2 both are driving the a** off the renault
No argument there.

FoxHound

The Renault did not seem at all bad today.
JET set

mnmracer
mnmracer

In that it was reliable.
In terms of speed..