2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
exchaser
exchaser

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Haha.. And we all thought the stepped noses were ugly.
F1 has gone bonkers..might as well incorporate an aerodynamic set of balls hanging below each dong of that nose.

DannyS
DannyS

I love massive rule changes because you get to see the genius of the engineers. There are so many different solutions, but no one will know which one works best until around mid season. I guess that's why we all love F1!

djos

antiuser wrote:Lotus has a funny asymmetrical nose...

I dubbed it the DDN (Double Dick Nose) over in E22 thread - read the linked to story if you dare! :D
"In downforce we trust"

Kiril Varbanov

timbo
timbo

GrandAxe wrote:
timbo wrote: Really dude, just learn some physics. You're talking nonsense.
Haha! Even if I'm not so clever, have you seen the McLaren front wing? It directs air outward, away from the tub, instead of between the wheels (hint, hint).
There's no way to tell that inwash would promote more rear downforce instead if that is what you hint. Might just be quite the opposite. Outwash wings deal with tyre vortices which apart from adding drag, hinder airflow over the rest of the car which may result in less efficient diffuser.
And BTW I was not commenting on your mental abilities. You might be the most clever person in the world but without some knowledge you would still talk nonsense. For example Aristotle is without a doubt among the greatest thinkers in human history, but some of his ideas are way off the mark as we see today.
Last edited by timbo on 25 Jan 2014, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

henra
henra

GrandAxe wrote:
Haha! Even if I'm not so clever, have you seen the McLaren front wing? It directs air outward, away from the tub, instead of between the wheels (hint, hint).
Hmm, this logic escapes me :?:
What he surely wanted to tell you, albeit in a somewhat encoded form is that suspension can't create downforce and thus can't increase maximum lateral loads on a car. What it can do is to make sure that you can continuously exploit the max lateral load which the tyres can produce given a certain weight and downforce, even if the track surface isn't perfect. It can also help minimising losses of max lateral load due to deformation of the tyres (resulting in decreased contact patch).
But suspension can't trump physics.

stefan_
stefan_

And I thought 2012's stepped noses were bad...
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

idfx

henra wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
Hmm, this logic escapes me :?:
What he surely wanted to tell you, albeit in a somewhat encoded form is that suspension can't create downforce and thus can't increase maximum lateral loads on a car. What it can do is to make sure that you can continuously exploit the max lateral load which the tyres can produce given a certain weight and downforce, even if the track surface isn't perfect. It can also help minimising losses of max lateral load due to deformation of the tyres (resulting in decreased contact patch).
But suspension can't trump physics.
Nice. Vortex generator can be used in the future, this section?
----------

Morteza

stefan_ wrote:And I thought 2012's stepped noses were bad...
Exactly! Now that we have these 2014 noses, I really want to see 2012 noses back :-#
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Vasconia

I thought exactly the same. :lol:

By the way, the new Ferrari can bee sen and the nose is an ugly one, what a surprise, the only "normal" nose seems to be the one that Force India has created.

muelte
muelte

And that's because we've only seen it from lateral view...

scuderiafan

Out of all of the noses so far, The F14T has the prettiest one. I like the McLaren nose too, it looks like something from a space ship, and Lotus' double-tusk nose is really interesting.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

astracrazy
astracrazy

scuderiafan wrote:The F14T has the prettiest one.
:o :?

Shakeman

astracrazy wrote:
scuderiafan wrote:The F14T has the prettiest one.
:o :?
I think scuderiafan must've been talking about the colour.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

timbo wrote: There's no way to tell that inwash would promote more rear downforce instead if that is what you hint. Might just be quite the opposite.
If you follow my arguments, you would find that I am saying exactly that - not all teams will try to shovel as much air underneath the car. Would you be so kind as to reread my first (and subsequent) comments before drawing wrong "hints" about what I an trying to say? That way, you will find very neat corroboration of my arguments in McLaren's wing configuration.

There will be teams that will attempt to move the balance of where downforce is created somewhat forward, away from the rear. In my understanding (or lack of knowledge), the car is basically an upside down wing, so for best performance when weight distribution changes, you've got to tune the way forces interact across its surface to compensate.

It is also not impossible to be so caught up in the routine methods of past seasons that we don't factor in actual changes to today's cars. McLaren are the first to prove my point, lets wait and see the approach others will take.
Last edited by GrandAxe on 25 Jan 2014, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.