2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Personally, I think these noses are much much better tan the 2012-13 ones. The Ferrari one is pretty ugly, but so was their earlier one. The excessively high noses that didn't even droop at all of the years before were even worse.

Roll on more cock noses!

patrik
patrik

Just found this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeBi9gzCMAAQ46k.jpg:large

Could it be legal?

agip

Is the FIA planing to lower the chasis even more for the future? That could be the end of all this awful noses.

beelsebob
beelsebob

agip wrote:Is the FIA planing to lower the chasis even more for the future? That could be the end of all this awful noses.
The new rule proposed for 2015 involving the differential of the curve over the nose never going above a certain absolute value sounds like it could help a lot. That would remove the possibility for weird noses like Ferrari's.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

henra wrote: Hmm, this logic escapes me :?:
What he surely wanted to tell you, albeit in a somewhat encoded form is that suspension can't create downforce and thus can't increase maximum lateral loads on a car. What it can do is to make sure that you can continuously exploit the max lateral load which the tyres can produce given a certain weight and downforce, even if the track surface isn't perfect. It can also help minimising losses of max lateral load due to deformation of the tyres (resulting in decreased contact patch).
But suspension can't trump physics.
No, timbo made weird assumptions, I never argued anywhere that suspension can create downforce. My arguments have been strictly about car handling and an alternative path which teams can take away from traditional downforce generation and balance (now proven by the McLaren front wing approach).

In an earlier post, I especially mentioned teams with active suspension systems (from 2013) like Mercedes, Lotus and Red Bull. Any team that can bridge the gap between a softly sprung and stiffly sprung platform would be able to play with their aero platform in the manner I have mentioned.

Your arguments about lateral load really don't apply to what I argued; as an aside though, they do not take torque and weight distribution into consideration. Its a whole bag of factors.

timbo
timbo

GrandAxe wrote:No, timbo made weird assumptions, I never argued anywhere that suspension can create downforce. My arguments have been strictly about car handling and an alternative path which teams can take away from traditional downforce generation and balance (now proven by the McLaren front wing approach).

In an earlier post, I especially mentioned teams with active suspension systems (from 2013) like Mercedes, Lotus and Red Bull. Any team that can bridge the gap between a softly sprung and stiffly sprung platform would be able to play with their aero platform in the manner I have mentioned.

Your arguments about lateral load really don't apply to what I argued; as an aside though, they do not take torque and weight distribution into consideration. Its a whole bag of factors.
You said that suspension takes care of lateral force. That is simply not true.
The tyre handles all forces. The grip it has is proportional to the load. Shifting weight to one axle increases available grip, but if you move more weight to the rear you also increase lateral force acting on the axle, which is proportional to the square of speed. The weight on the other hand stays constant. So above a certain speed there's no way that grip gained by weight alone will be sufficient to handle the lateral force. Downforce on the other hand does not increase lateral force, it also increases as the square of speed which balances the increase in the lateral force. If you want car to pull those 3-5G's in the corner you need downforce. There's no way around that. There's nothing suspension can do for that either.

raymondu999

I wonder if McLaren being pretty much the last team to go with a low nose design in early 2012 will help them any in this new low nose era.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:I wonder if McLaren being pretty much the last team to go with a low nose design in early 2012 will help them any in this new low nose era.
They did assert back then that the reason for that was because high noses would soon be banned, and that they would rather think ahead.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

timbo wrote:You said that suspension takes care of lateral force. That is simply not true.
The tyre handles all forces. The grip it has is proportional to the load. Shifting weight to one axle increases available grip, but if you move more weight to the rear you also increase lateral force acting on the axle, which is proportional to the square of speed. The weight on the other hand stays constant. So above a certain speed there's no way that grip gained by weight alone will be sufficient to handle the lateral force. Downforce on the other hand does not increase lateral force, it also increases as the square of speed which balances the increase in the lateral force. If you want car to pull those 3-5G's in the corner you need downforce. There's no way around that. There's nothing suspension can do for that either.
Of course you know I was talking about lateral forces at a corner due to inertia. I mentioned that an alternative approach to what everyone is assuming (routinely shovelling front wing air to the diffuser); that the new weight distribution could inform novel use of the suspension and a mix of other factors, such as brake bias, race line, as well as shifting the generation of downforce forwards with more front downforce.

This is a summary of my analysis:
1. F1 cars need to go fast
2. The new rules take away rear downforce
3. New rules put a greater percentage of the cars weight at the rear fundamentally affecting handling

For better understanding, I will expand the above with the following:
4. An F1 car designer can choose either straight line or cornering speed (or a mixture of both)

Faced with the need for speed, the designer will need to confront the following factors:

5. 2014 F1 cars are heavier overall
6, The new rules enforce stringent fuel limits
7. The creation of downforce creates drag
8. The 2014 weight distribution is now not just worse, but rigid and biased to the rear
9. Braking will harvest energy in 2014 cars

Considering all factors, some teams might increase front downforce in order to tow the heavier rear end around corners better. The lateral forces can be mitigated by active suspension systems (like the FRIC), while braking will take on new importance, because it will generate an estimated 120kW (approximately 160bhp) for acceleration out of corners. Such an approach would help F1 cars maintain top speeds on most of the track, sacrifice some cornering speed for less drag, straight line speed an better fuel efficiency.

timbo
timbo

GrandAxe wrote:Considering all factors, some teams might increase front downforce in order to tow the heavier rear end around corners better.
That just wouldn't work. You would get extremely unstable car. In fact the downforce distribution has to closely follow weight distribution (it is also always biased a bit to the rear, e.g. if you have 40:60 weight distribution front to rear, the DF distribution would be something like 37:63). The weight distribution itself must follow what tyres dictate.
GrandAxe wrote:The lateral forces can be mitigated by active suspension systems (like the FRIC)
Suspension can't "mitigate" lateral forces. You have limited tyre capacity and suspension can't improve that. It may improve handling and provide more even contact patch, but you just can't throw suspension and get additional 1G in corner. Actually, FRIC (which is not active actually) was used to make ride height more constant to produce downforce more efficiently.
GrandAxe wrote:Such an approach would help F1 cars maintain top speeds on most of the track, sacrifice some cornering speed for less drag, straight line speed an better fuel efficiency.
By what? If you

autogyro
autogyro

beelsebob wrote:Personally, I think these noses are much much better tan the 2012-13 ones. The Ferrari one is pretty ugly, but so was their earlier one. The excessively high noses that didn't even droop at all of the years before were even worse.

Roll on more cock noses!
They should all have a patch on the side saying,

"Designed by the FIA, for safety innit."

Shrieker

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I wonder if McLaren being pretty much the last team to go with a low nose design in early 2012 will help them any in this new low nose era.
They did assert back then that the reason for that was because high noses would soon be banned, and that they would rather think ahead.
And then they went ahead and did the high nose high tub 28 :lol: Which was a failure by McLaren standards... "Thinking ahead" was most probably smoke and mirrors given below:

It is also worth noting that McLaren were doing something clever (and borderline legal) with their tea tray at the start of 2012. They were very competitive in the first few races, but after the FIA requested proper replacement for the tea tray they were suddenly nowhere. It took them nearly half a season to get back to proper front running performance with the then new high nose. Their low nose at the start of the year only worked with their trick splitter/tea tray. So no, I don't think their experience with the low nose at the start of 2012 will help now.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

gold333
gold333

2014 is conclusive proof that the FIA is incompetent at drafting and thinking through formula regulations.

It is an utter embarrassment to the professionalism, foresight and inherent capacity of the person in question responsible for these formula regulations.

The Ferrari simply looks like this:

As for some people finding them allright or not special. One must not forget that aesthetic cognition ability is a person specific skill, like maths or language. Not everyone can "see" ugly design. So some people will find the shape of that airbus ok or even pretty.

But those people will usually struggle to name anything truly ugly or beautiful as to them there is not much distinction between the two. It's the phrase of a person "having taste" or "having no taste" I suppose.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Kiril Varbanov

To sum up the current situation via associations:

CBeck113
CBeck113

gold333 wrote:2014 is conclusive proof that the FIA is incompetent at drafting and thinking through formula regulations.

It is an utter embarrassment to the professionalism, foresight and inherent capacity of the person in question responsible for these formula regulations.

As for some people finding them allright or not special. One must not forget that aesthetic cognition ability is a person specific skill, like maths or language. Not everyone can "see" ugly design. So some people will find the shape of that airbus ok or even pretty.

But those people will usually struggle to name anything truly ugly or beautiful as to them there is not much distinction between the two. It's the phrase of a person "having taste" or "having no taste" I suppose.
But you have to admit that we finally have some major differences between the car & concepts, which highlights the engineering behind the racing...which is the "trademark" of F1. That has been missing over the past few years, and I personally am happy to see it, and can't wait to see what happens over the course of the season - the developments will also be easily recognized (and not a vortex generator which was moved three mm back and one mm higher than before).
Kiril Varbanov wrote:To sum up the current situation via associations:

I prefer the cameltoe designation better, just because the double meaning fits to the general XX & XY theme of this season.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail