2013 Japanese GP - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2013 Japanese GP - Suzuka

Really curious what RB are on about again with that shallow wing.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

There is no DRS in 3rd sector so RB are gaining a lot with that wing there, with highest possible top speed. It will also help a lot in the race.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Juzh wrote:Really curious what RB are on about again with that shallow wing.
It's not surprising. They've been doing that earlier in the season too. Clearly they generate enough downforce from the diffuser (probably due to their exhaust configuration combined with engine mapping) that they don't need to run such a larger rear wing.

rssh

Its was really interesting to see Pastors P2 crash , he had run wide in Denger 1 and crashed in Denger 2 ;sky sport says that he carried way more speed due to mistake in Denger 1 but his speed was lower than in a simulation lap IMO ; I think that running wide in denger 1 mean that his suspension was bouncing all over the place and when in turned in the car turned well and then in the next instant due to the bouncing the downforce was cut-off. No wonder the car doesn't suit an agressive driving, even in the dunlop curve instead of a constant left both the Williams drivers were flighting the understeer on-off.

The car really doesn't have consistent downforce and they can't really stiffen the suspension more for consistant Downforce.
Boy that Redbull is hooked one turn to the left and one to the right it doesn't need steering correction at all , excellent balance and consistent downforce.

Ps- I think RB learnt in 2011 that excess downforce is good for qualy but will lead to thermal deg and this years tyres can't handle excess downforce.

Vasconia

Ahhh, weather forecast= rain, reality= sun and 40 degrees on the track. Well done boys. :mrgreen:

Sadly I see a clear pole for Vettel, perhaps Lewis can achieve the second position and challenge Vettel if he makes a mistake, not a big one but at least a little one. Webber should be strong here but I cant see him beating Seb.

Lotus could be a great contender for the race if the tyre degradation is high, Ferrari is out of the battle but who knows with Alonso, if their long runs are good perhaps he can get a podium.

Any info about the long runs? the only thing I know is that RB were impressive, once again. :roll:

FrukostScones

German Bild: "Vettel only fears the radiated fish." "Red Bull team sources food from Australia."
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Juzh

Gerhard Berger wrote:
It's not surprising. They've been doing that earlier in the season too. Clearly they generate enough downforce from the diffuser (probably due to their exhaust configuration combined with engine mapping) that they don't need to run such a larger rear wing.
I know, but I still find it funny how they're running around with half the wing of anyone else.
Vasconia wrote: Any info about the long runs? the only thing I know is that RB were impressive, once again. :roll:
RB was fine but nothing spectacular. Also mercs weren't too shabby. Rosberg said he was driving round at too slow delta time to conserve tires and then when he pushed they weren't worn at all.
Lotus is there or thereabouts.

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:
I know, but I still find it funny how they're running around with half the wing of anyone else.
Vasconia wrote: Any info about the long runs? the only thing I know is that RB were impressive, once again. :roll:
RB was fine but nothing spectacular. Also mercs weren't too shabby. Rosberg said he was driving round at too slow delta time to conserve tires and then when he pushed they weren't worn at all.
Thanks Juzh, so it seems the the gap between the teams inst very big, Lets wait and pray for a disputed Q3 and Race, if Vettel doesnt push the "magic botton" of course.

What about Ferraris pace?

dren

Juzh wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:
James Allen hinted the Merc pace on the Medium tire was comperable to the Red Bull over similar distances. He also said the Merc tires looked fine after the stint. So, we may actually see a bit of a race. Hamilton needs to snatch pole if Merc wants a shot at victory. They still should have a podium shot. Kimi will certainly be in the mix. Let's hope the Hulk train doesn't hold anyone up this go around.
Honda!

SectorOne

I think looking over the past free practices over the last races it does seem the Mercedes is more competitive on the harder compound whereas Red Bull can squeeze out more from the softer compound.
In Medium to low fuel running, and in high fuel Red Bull is in a different bracket of performance.

But one can always hope that a Merc is leading down into T1 and manage to survive the first stint.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

Vasconia wrote: What about Ferraris pace?
Seemed like 3-5/10 off. But wasn't paying too much attention.

f1316
f1316

Juzh wrote:
Vasconia wrote: What about Ferraris pace?
Seemed like 3-5/10 off. But wasn't paying too much attention.
Yeah, the headline lap time of Alonso almost a second off is misleading, as he didn't get in a run on the mediums. Most people were finding 0.6 or so, so you'd expect them to be a bit closer (if still likely to be behind RBs, Mercs and Lotuses, given that these teams were fairly close).

Ferrari long run pace was quite consistent; Alonso's pace did not seem to degrade much - it was also overal much slower, but by a sufficient degree to imply different fuel loads. So they could be OKish in the race, I think.

raymondu999

Let's ban this spammer please
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

raymondu999 wrote:Let's ban this spammer please
Agreed dawg! ;)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

raymondu999

I'm quite sure he's a spambot (not a spammer) now