2013 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: 2013 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

New poll available on the main page - Do you think Vettel is going to win the remaining two races?

Also, would love to hear your thoughts on the driver of the day and why.

rssh

Reading the stats at the end of the race I think Pastor is really pulling out the max from the car, Williams was just 2 secs out of the point and one can agrue that about 4 secs were lost at the pitstops due to wheel nut problem that Williams have, the non Coanda exhaust has really helped Pastor at low speed corners (he is anyways good at street circuit).

Juzh

Hail22 wrote: So Kimi and his manager should simply do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc
Or this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomwVcGt0LE[/youtube]

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The most boring race of the season. This track either needs a complete redesign, or just get rid.

raymondu999

They should make the cars filter through turn 4 straight to turn 7 in my personal opinion. Bypass T6.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_
stefan_

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/397289297218265088 How can you install a G-force sensor incorrectly?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Hail22

Diesel wrote:The most boring race of the season. This track either needs a complete redesign, or just get rid.
Abu Dhabi will never be cut whilst a massive flow of cash and amirs come to the doorstep of the FoM.

Its just good business, not racing :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Phil

SectorOne wrote:Alonso is the one that´s entering the racetrack, he´s the one that should be cautious.
I pretty much agree with this. I think the problem with drivers leaving the track to pass other drivers is down to the difficulty of passing in F1. Think about it; if it was easier to overtake in F1, drivers probably wouldn't be fighting or pulling dangerous moves on one another because the quicker car would naturally have it easier to pass them later. It wouldn't be a big deal to show a bit more respect and know full well that there would be a passing opportunity further down the track in no time.

Since over taking is so damn difficult in todays F1 (and DRS isn't really helping that much depending on the car's set-up or the way the DRS zone is implemented) drivers are prepared to take more risk to pass one another. I guess the thinking was - "if I don't get past him now, I might not get ahead at all and my super shiny new option tyres will go to waste". Alonso to this point was stuck behind someone else for the majority of the race (Massa), so I think from his view it wasn't a given how well his new option tyres would fair against those on older prime tyres getting to the end of the race. Also, some cars were notoriously hard to pass, like the Saubers.

I still think the FIA's decision was wrong. Alonso entered the track and he put himself in the position of being squeezed from the track. Verge was driving his line and speed and was ever so slightly in front of Alonso. He was always going to drift to the outerside of the track and push Alonso wide. Alonso had to see that coming and decided regardless to keep the foot down and leave the track to complete the pass. If you go by consistency, the stewards should have penalized this IMO.

Looking at the bigger picture though - if you make passing each other more easy, I think drivers will start showing more respect again (or less hot-headedness) as there will be less reason to go full-out on the few rare attempts there are too pass someone.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

raymondu999 wrote:They should make the cars filter through turn 4 straight to turn 7 in my personal opinion. Bypass T6.
There are plenty of ways to spice up the racing. They all just require the annexing of the Viceroy hotel section.

siskue2005

stefan_ wrote:https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/397289297218265088

How can you install a G-force sensor incorrectly?
totally unecessary then :)

turbof1

That one is going straight into the caption competition topic!
#AeroFrodo

SamH123
SamH123

Don't think it's been mentioned already so I thought this was quite cool
There was an eclipse taking place over Abu Dhabi during the race:
http://www.space.com/23419-hybrid-solar ... -2013.html
The camera zoomed right in on the sun at one point and I said to myself 'that looks like an eclipse??' but I assumed it was just some kind of illusion. Surprised someone like Ted Kravitz never mentioned it

Kiril Varbanov

stefan_ wrote:https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/397289297218265088

How can you install a G-force sensor incorrectly?
You need to follow the instructions. Seriously. There are labels with arrows and directions. You need to take into account X, Y and Z axes. Still, you can mess things up. Obviously.

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:They should make the cars filter through turn 4 straight to turn 7 in my personal opinion. Bypass T6.
There are plenty of ways to spice up the racing. They all just require the annexing of the Viceroy hotel section.
Not necessary to bypass that architectural master piece, they just need to round the corners in that area.

Turn 5 and 6 brought to immediately after turn 4
Turn 7 brought back to satisfy FIA safety norms without affecting safety norms
Long boring straight broken
Turns 8 and 9 made shorter to depict della roggia chicane at monza
Turn 14 rounded
Turn 16 and 17 combined and rounded
Turn 18 Rounded
Turn 19 and 20 combined and rounded

komninosm
komninosm

It would be funny if they penalized Vergne for pushing another car off the track AND Alonso for overtaking off the track.
Sadly life disappoints my comedic hunger again >.<