Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GitanesBlondes

Re: Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes

xpensive wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote: ...
McLaren had a down year when they opted to try for a new front suspension.
So that was the problem, who could have guessed? :wink:

Marussia was perhaps stretching it, but I'd love to see him take on Mercedes-powered Williams and prove what a moron I am.
There were a number of McLaren fans elsewhere on the internet who told me the front suspension didn't really matter all that much...and that the woes were down to a newly departed jockey. :o :shock:

I wouldn't mind seeing Brawn at Williams. They need a little FIA favoritism anyway since Mosley did everything he could to destroy their advantages in the 90s, since preferred winner status only comes if a car is bright red. That Winfield livery came about 4 years late. :lol:
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

munudeges
munudeges

GitanesBlondes wrote:McLaren had a down year when they opted to try for a new front suspension.
The people and the organisation that made that decision are still there and they will still be there in 2015.

GitanesBlondes

munudeges wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:McLaren had a down year when they opted to try for a new front suspension.
The people and the organisation that made that decision are still there and they will still be there in 2015.
Good point.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

munudeges
munudeges

I think McLaren, and other teams for that matter, think all they need to do is recruit Adrian Newey, and failing that, recruit just about anyone who has been within fifty yards of him. They are not looking at their own organisations.

wunderkind
wunderkind

munudeges wrote:I think McLaren, and other teams for that matter, think all they need to do is recruit Adrian Newey, and failing that, recruit just about anyone who has been within fifty yards of him. They are not looking at their own organisations.
The other teams you mentioned have no choice. Newey's aero concept has proven to be head and shoulder above the rest and that's what other teams are trying to obtain.

ringo

Torro Rosso is a nice gig for Brawn.
Maybe he could get Newey like freedom there. Redbull seem to be the trendiest team in regards to how they operate.
For Sure!!

FoxHound

wunderkind wrote:The other teams you mentioned have no choice. Newey's aero concept has proven to be head and shoulder above the rest and that's what other teams are trying to obtain.
Very much agreed.
The whole Family linage from the RB5 to the RB9 are results of Newey's Genius.

The whole "organisational" argument short sighted as it gives no credence to Newey and his vision.
He has an idea, and he gives it to people who can make it happen in a team that can afford to make it happen.
Red Bull gave Newey what he wanted, on the premise of his expertise.

If we look at Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes, who do they turn to as their "go to" man? They don't have a singular genius to be able to inspire a whole team.
And I don't think there is anyone available that is near Newey's level other than Byrne.

My solution...replicate the man. You can even give him hair and a name change....Hadrian Bluey, yours for a fiver!
JET set

munudeges
munudeges

wunderkind wrote:The other teams you mentioned have no choice. Newey's aero concept has proven to be head and shoulder above the rest and that's what other teams are trying to obtain.
I'm afraid they're not going to get it. When you have dysfunctional organisations where it's extremely difficult to tell who is in charge or who is making a final decision then you're going to get nowhere. Newey left McLaren and didn't get the success he should have done in later years there exactly because of that.

GitanesBlondes

munudeges wrote:
I'm afraid they're not going to get it. When you have dysfunctional organisations where it's extremely difficult to tell who is in charge or who is making a final decision then you're going to get nowhere. Newey left McLaren and didn't get the success he should have done in later years there exactly because of that.
I agree. Ferrari is in trouble due to the dysfunction.

McLaren has been sliding downwards ever since Ron stepped down. I don't believe Whitmarsh is capable of being the guy in charge, or making the final decision when necessary.

Richard
Richard

FoxHound wrote:The whole "organisational" argument short sighted as it gives no credence to Newey and his vision.
Why does it need to be polarised? Success comes from team (ie Horner) + car (ie Newey) + driver (ie Vettel). It's short sighted to think that any one of those element can be viewed in isolation.

Back on topic - McLaren and Ferrari both seem to be behind RB on the organisational front, but I'm not sure Brawn would be the right person. What we learn from history is that the next super-TP bursts onto the scene with passion. I see Brawn as a bit too corporate to provide the spark that RB found in Horner, or Ferrari found in the younger Brawn, or McLaren gained when bought out by Dennis.

FoxHound

richard_leeds wrote:
FoxHound wrote:The whole "organisational" argument short sighted as it gives no credence to Newey and his vision.
Why does it need to be polarised? Success comes from team (ie Horner) + car (ie Newey) + driver (ie Vettel). It's short sighted to think that any one of those element can be viewed in isolation.

Wow, and yet you polarise it yourself! :lol:
My view here is that Horner is interchangeable with Whitmarsh, Brawn, Domenicalli etc. And Vettel is interchangeable between Alonso and Hamilton.
Who is interchangeable with Newey pray tell?

He is an element that can be viewed in isolation as he is a determining factor. If you think that is short sighted then please explain to me why he has penned the cars that have won 10 of the last 20 WDC's irrespective of which team he has worked for.... \:D/
JET set

Richard
Richard

Put Newey in a badly organised team and you'll have bad results. Put Newey in well organised team with a bad driver and you'll have bad results.

GitanesBlondes

richard_leeds wrote:

Back on topic - McLaren and Ferrari both seem to be behind RB on the organisational front, but I'm not sure Brawn would be the right person. What we learn from history is that the next super-TP bursts onto the scene with passion. I see Brawn as a bit too corporate to provide the spark that RB found in Horner, or Ferrari found in the younger Brawn, or McLaren gained when bought out by Dennis.
Most of McLaren's success could be down to that Ron was always an OCD perfectionist. One doesn't really get that feeling from the latest crop of TP's. I mean honestly, Kaltenborn, Boullier, Mallya, Domenicali, Whitmarsh, Abiteboul, and Booth? Not a single one of them gives off any impression that they've got the fortitude necessary to drag their teams higher up on the grid. The results pretty much speak for themselves.

GitanesBlondes

richard_leeds wrote:Put Newey in a badly organised team and you'll have sub-optimal results. Put Newy in well organised team with a bad diver and you'll have bad results.
Leyton-House March comes to mind.

GitanesBlondes

FoxHound wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:

Wow, and yet you polarise it yourself! :lol:
My view here is that Horner is interchangeable with Whitmarsh, Brawn, Domenicalli etc. And Vettel is interchangeable between Alonso and Hamilton.
Who is interchangeable with Newey pray tell?

He is an element that can be viewed in isolation as he is a determining factor. If you think that is short sighted then please explain to me why he has penned the cars that have won 10 of the last 20 WDC's irrespective of which team he has worked for.... \:D/
To be honest, unless we know exactly how the day to day functions work at Red Bull, it's hard to say that it is all down to Newey.

For the record, those Williams cars had a lot to do with Patrick Head as well as Newey did not have things down on the mechanical side. Team effort, not down to just Newey himself.