Remote third spring

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DaveW
DaveW

Re: Remote third spring

hardingfv32 wrote: ... May I assume that this type of use of the shocks would be applicable to the 'FRIC' systems?
Apologies, but I think calling the device a "shock" is a BIG assumption.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I do not know what to call the satellite elements of the FRIC system. Are you proposing something other than the normal F1 shock? A hybrid device, hydraulic slave cylinder and hydraulic shock?

Were my questions about generating force based on the shaft cross section way off base?

Brian

Tim.Wright

I'd assume that its a slave cylinder possibly with a damper incorporated.

Calling it a shock implies that its only a damper.
Not the engineer at Force India

xpensive
xpensive

What we can see is a remote hydraulically operated spring, not a shockabsorber or damper in any which way.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Yes, the question is how do you convert the force generated by this remote spring assembly to a force at a suspension rocker assembly? I would assume in a compact and light weight fashion.

Brian

xpensive
xpensive

Through a hydraulic actuator at the other end of the line, while means to adjust the volume of fluid will control ride-height.

DaveW
DaveW

hardingfv32 wrote: ... Are you proposing something other than the normal F1 shock? ...
Probably. I think that xpensive & Tim have made very sensible suggestions.

Garry Anderson (wisely) stated that "This type of system gives you a huge range of tweaks and can be used in many different ways". What can be seen of the assembly is counter-intuitive, at least to me. I would like to see, for example, how it is attached to the vehicle, and also what is attached (hydraulically) to the bottom of the actuator (let's call it that).

Speculating, what appears to be a flow control valve mounted at the top of the actuator might be a shut-off valve operated by a remotely connected mechanical accelerometer.

xpensive
xpensive

I believe it is a very simple single-acting hydraulic cylinder compressing a spring, with an xtra line attached to adjust the amount of
fluid between that cylinder and the cylinder at the other end of the main line, which acts on the push-rods or its mechanical linkage.

DaveW
DaveW

I would like to think so, too. But how is the spring compressed?

xpensive
xpensive

DaveW wrote:I would like to think so, too. But how is the spring compressed?
I'd hazard a guess the cylinder assy is inside the coil-spring, with the cylinder part pressing from top and the piston from below.

scarbs
scarbs

I presumed the coil spring accumulator was a double acting cylinder, with the coil spring attached between the body and piston rod. As a hydraulic heave element on the front suspension compresses in pitch, a line from it pressurises one chamber on the middle cylinder. This both compresses the surrounding coil spring and the opposite chamber on the middle cylinder. A line from this chamber pressurises the rear hydraulic heave element to keep the car level.
This provides both the interlinked levelling effect and increases the spring rate in pitch

scarbs
scarbs

Something like this...

Steven
Owner

Very nice, simple and clear.

The first thing that sprung to my mind when seeing it though is the weight of this assembly, and also its dimensions. I would assume that these are two reasons why other teams are opting against such a mechanical setup?

Does this also mean that Caterham does not have any interlinked system to control roll? I don't think the system we see here is designed for this, instead only to link front and rear without making a difference between left and right.

scarbs
scarbs

I think most teams simply run a front to rear system. I understand Roll\Warp control is only incorporated into the Merc, RBR and Lotus system

xpensive
xpensive

I'm not so sure, it should work under braking, but compressing the rear heave element at accelleration will create an under-pressure in the fluid as the spring resists, might lead to cavitation and other nasties, hydraulics is no good for suction applications?